M32 Issue - garbage characters on display in MIDI mode and 1.0.1 firmware version!

Options

Answers

• Mehran
    Mehran Member Posts: 9 Member
    Options

I have the exact same problem. It's a big headache. Did you manage to fix this? Mine is 1.0.1

• Steves
    Steves Member Posts: 14 Member
    edited January 10
    Options

The only solution to date is to find a unit with 0.4.5 firmware and never try to upgrade it. There is no way to go back from 1.0.1 from what I have found. Seeing your post that this issue is still unsolved is more than a little shocking to be honest. NI clearly has abandoned solving this issue and despite it being easily reproducible (like always on all our units) NI is still unable to update the firmware with a fix. I have stayed clear of any NI hardware since. Good luck. If anyone knows that this has been addressed with any later firmware, please post here. If anyone from NI comes across this thread it would be great to 1) acknowledge the issue, and 2) be transparent with the possibility of a fix.

• Steves
    Options

@Jeremy_NI Any progress on your end with this? If you need any history I'm sure several of us here can provide more details. At the very least it would be helpful if there was a firmware updater that would flash 0.4.5 for any units that come with 1.0.1 assuming it's compatible. I feel sorry for anyone that can't return 1.0.1 units that need Midi workflows to function properly.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,737 mod
    Options

@Mehran @Steves Please get in touch with our support here: https://bit.ly/NI_support_Kontrol

• Steves
    Options

Thanks for the reply @Jeremy_NI . I myself have gone through support (for several months) with no resolution. It might be worth @Mehran trying that route if that has not been tried already. However, NI Support should try 1.0.1 on an M32 and replicate the problem - in my experience, every unit with 1.0.1 I have tried (and there have been several) shows the issue easily. My experience with NI support resulted in me returning my unit to NI for assessment and me getting a replacement from NI which also had the same issue. NI really does have "all" the info (including my original unit) to fix the issue. It simply does not seem to be a priority for NI. I would love to hear that NI comes up with a solution to this which is the only reason I keep monitoring this thread. I have a unit that works perfectly fine with 0.4.5.

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

@Steves There has been some progress since then, I'm not sure yet when we'll be able to distribute the new firmware at the moment, that's why I invite you to get in touch with our support.

• Mehran
    Options

@Steves @Jeremy_NI I've been in touch with NI support, after going through all the procedure they said mine needs to be repaired or exchanged. my gut says it's more like a Firmware thingy, but I give a chance to a new device. I'll let you know what happens.

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓
    Options
  • Steves
    edited January 11
    Options

@Jeremy_NI - this is encouraging news if it does address the issue. From the release notes for M 3.17.0: "FW1.0.2 only works on devices produced after 2022. If your unit is older, FW1.0.2 will not be listed - there is no functional difference. FW0.4.5 is the latest for your unit." This actually corroborates a theory that I had when I was working with support originally on this - that there was some hardware change in the unit that required 1.0.1.

@Mehran - if you still have your 1.0.1 units can you try the firmware updater? Does 1.0.2 fix the MIDI issue on the later M32 hardware?

I currently have old hardware (I searched many used units to get one when I originally had the issue since this was the only way to get a working unit). I won't be able to check this as my unit will only show 0.4.5 as it's the latest for the my older hardware.

I would love to hear that this issue is finally corrected. I might even buy another M32 if it is as its size and functionality hit the sweet spot for my portable studio setup.

• Jeremy_NI
    edited January 11
    Options

@Steves This is a firmware update specificly made to fix this issue.

• Steves
    Options

That would be great! Looking forward to someone confirming that on one of the 1.0.1 units

• Mehran
    Options

@Steves @Jeremy_NI Guys I did the update and now I'm on 1.0.2

Things have been changed a lot but not completely fixed.

First of all I haven't seen any predator alienist language on Knob 2, but If you're interested to see the weirdest I've seen with new FW please check the attached file. It happened on knob 8.

On my Windows 11 machine It works pretty much acceptable, only issue is when open KK App and go to MIDI sometimes display shows some nonsense (like instead of "CC21" shows "C21 C" or "Cc21") one of the Cs is not capital. But with 1.0.1 when I opened MIDI on KK App keyboard was going crazy and not function properly.

On my MAC machine (Mac Studio M2 Max) things got a lot better. With 1.0.1 it was completely unusable practically Keyboard wasn't connected to the machine, but with 1.0.2 It's connected, not showing nonsense on display much, but the issue is the CC assignment not mentioned correctly on the display, for example knob 8 is assigned to CC7, but display shows the default which is CC21, but It's actually sending the CC7 to the computer as I assigned.

BTW It's not all rainbows and unicorns on the Mac, as the picture I attached, is taken from KK M32 when is connected to the Mac Studio.

I hope I could make it clear as It's a bit hard to explain this situation 🙃 🫠

@Jeremy_NI should we hope for another M32 FW in upcoming days or It is what It is?

Tomorrow I'm going to the shop which I purchased my KK M32 in the first place, to change It. I have no hope cuz I don't think It's about a faulty hardware, what ever It is sounds like a Software and compatibility problem to me.

• Steves
    edited January 12
    Options

Thank you @Mehran for updating on 1.0.2. Sounds like we're still not out of the woods on this issue entirely but that progress has been made. Sounds like NI is having trouble with some hardware changes made in the latest revision of the M32 device. Keep us updated if you end up keeping your latest M32 and NI manages to address the issues completely.

"Tomorrow I'm going to the shop which I purchased my KK M32 in the first place, to change It. I have no hope cuz I don't think It's about a faulty hardware, what ever It is sounds like a Software and compatibility problem to me." - I agree, unless you can get an older unit with 0.4.5 on it, you will have the same issues with the replacement (I did several times). As I posted earlier, I shopped around and found the older hardware running 0.4.5 but that was over a year ago now. The older M32 on 0.4.5 works very well across the full feature-set of the product. Good Luck.

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

@Mehran Thanks for the update. Forwarding your experience to the devs.