Importing parts of Racks into other Racks VCV 2 style in Reaktor Blocks

Murat Kayi
Murat Kayi Member Posts: 429 Pro

Hi,

I dimly remember how I raved about the new VCV Rack 2 feature where you can import Racks into other racks and someone told me you can do this in Reaktor and I can't for the life of me remember how that worked and where I got this info.

I searched for "VCV" on here, but it did not show up.

What I want to do is open a block configuration and put the whole assembly into a new rack that I am working on, for example. I thought it needed saving the rack I want to be able to import as an ensemble, but I can not import that into another rack without losing the rack I am opening that ensemble from.

So, does anybody know how to do this?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• bolabo
    bolabo Member Posts: 97 Advisor
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓

You don’t need to save the rack as an ensemble. Just select the part of the source rack you want to import by selecting the block’s icons in ‘structure’ view. Then copy and paste the blocks into the destination rack’s structure view.

Answers

• bolabo
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓

You don’t need to save the rack as an ensemble. Just select the part of the source rack you want to import by selecting the block’s icons in ‘structure’ view. Then copy and paste the blocks into the destination rack’s structure view.

• Murat Kayi

Hi,

ah, that was way easier than I imagined. Thanks!

BTW, I pasted the analog circuit block from the Nano pack and Reaktor complained about missing samples (I did not have that error when I used that block in the original patch, only when I tried to paste it)

• Murat Kayi

incidentially, you answered that same question last time I asked, lol!

And the reason I did not find it is that it was on the old forums. The search section should kinda include old answers too, probably.

As the pasted modules ended up totally entangled in the modules of the previous patch and I now can't make neither heads nor tales of the two merged patches (lol), I will try to get to grips with the container block in the nano pack that you mentioned last time.

Sorry for my scatterbrain

• Murat Kayi
    edited March 2022

Okay, also...I am really sorry for being so dense..but

I tried to build my rack into the container block. I started a new ensemble, loaded the container block, switched to structure view, pasted the blocks. (I adored the info hints on where to change to knob labels...go here! Now here! Now Here! lol)

But then I was kind of puzzled.

• Firstly...I found the outs, but there is no audio ins are there? I would try to use the pitch in, don't know if that would work
    • Is there a way to hide the UI of the pasted blocks? My guess is I would have to select them and change visible to no somewhere in Reaktor's left pane? Because ultimately (and I don't know if that is the intended outcome) I would wish that only the container block remained visible Got it! It's indeed the visibility setting
    • Lastly, when I am done, what now? I can save it as an ensemble. Would I just open the ensemble, copy the container block and then paste it in some other Rack? Got it! It's been a while since I really worked on anything in Reaktor. Right-clicked and saved as instrument!

Again, sorry for being so dense. To atone for my stupidity sins in advance: I am trying to build a Nysthi-Simpliciter inspired Tape machine (actually, I succeeded already in doing that) that autonomously repeatedly samples the audio in and rhythmically plays slices of it forward and revers in various speeds, sent through a cassette IR and the analog circuit block. It's great fun! I can't really claim that it makes any controllable sense for a composer or producer, but I listened to it destroying a wave file of a Maschine beat today for some 15 minutes completely mesmerized like Mowgli by Kaa.

Naturally, I now think it would be awesome to add this tapemachine to any kinds of Racks with a click or two, that would be insanely awesome!

• nanotable
    nanotable Member Posts: 93 Advisor

Amazing info, thanks David! I’ve always wondered how to do this. Maybe I’ll even try to build something into a container block, one day …

Murat, this sounds like an exciting machine. Would you be willing to post it here or in the UL? Thanks!

• Murat Kayi

Sure, I could post the rack as such at any rate.

I did succeed with the container block, but firstly, the samples are still missing and secondly my CPU blacked out after I imported the tape machine into an existing rack, lol

• nanotable
    nanotable Member Posts: 93 Advisor

Heh, well, take your time I guess. Hope your CPU is fine!! :D

• bolabo
    edited March 2022

Yes there seems to be a bug with Reaktor. The samples for the impulse responses are embedded in the block, but trying to copy and paste it in rack mode throws up this error message. The workaround is to simply add the block back in manually.

• bolabo
    edited March 2022

Firstly...I found the outs, but there is no audio ins are there? I would try to use the pitch in, don't know if that would work

The ports are labeled "Pitch" and "Gate" etc, but you can rename them to anything you want, nothing special about them they are simply un-connected input ports.

Is there a way to hide the UI of the pasted blocks?

Embedded blocks inside the container blocks will be visible by default in ensemble mode, but when you save the container block as an instrument and then load it in 'Rack' mode, the contained instruments are automatically hidden. If you only plan to use it in rack mode there's no need to hide the individual blocks.

For example check out the blocks in the 'Instruments' folder of the Nano Pack, like the "Boom Synth", these are mostly container blocks in that folder'. If you load "Boom Synth" in rack mode you will only see the single container block. But if you load the block in ensemble mode you will see all the contained blocks and be able to edit the connections and controls.

Lastly, when I am done, what now?

Yes, just right click the header of the container block and select "save instrument as..."