License Transfer Questions

Foldyman
Foldyman Member Posts: 39 Member
edited March 2022 in Komplete General

Hi,

I've just bought a KK keyboard on eBay and foolishly completely forgot to ask about license transfer.

Hopefully I can get it transferred, but if not can I still register the serial and get firmware updates etc? Or indeed use the keyboard at all? I don't need any of the software it comes with necessarly as I already have all that.

Seperate question, I just checked my own transfer page just so I can understand the process, and all of my products say "not transferable". What happens if I want to sell something?

Cheers,

A

Best Answer

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert
    Answer ✓

1) You do not need to have HW registered to use it. And I think also to get firmware updates. (Better to check.)

It is better to get Serial Transfer even if you do not need it. Just for case of future sale. HW without SW has lower value.

If you manage do it with cooperation of seller is the best. If not possible, try to reach NI Support, I thing they are able sort things out in most/all cases.

2) Bundled SW is always marked as Non Transferable. To transfer it one asks for transfer of registered HW.

Also SW or HW is marked as Non Transferable for 3 months since registration. One may transfer it in that case anyway, but has to contact NI Support to do it manually.

Answers

• Kubrak
    Answer ✓

1) You do not need to have HW registered to use it. And I think also to get firmware updates. (Better to check.)

It is better to get Serial Transfer even if you do not need it. Just for case of future sale. HW without SW has lower value.

If you manage do it with cooperation of seller is the best. If not possible, try to reach NI Support, I thing they are able sort things out in most/all cases.

2) Bundled SW is always marked as Non Transferable. To transfer it one asks for transfer of registered HW.

Also SW or HW is marked as Non Transferable for 3 months since registration. One may transfer it in that case anyway, but has to contact NI Support to do it manually.

• Monochrome
    Monochrome Member Posts: 1,113 Expert

^ For Firmware updates, you do need the serial number.

• Foldyman
    Foldyman Member Posts: 39 Member

Thank you (again!) @Kubrak

• Kubrak

^ For Firmware updates, you do need the serial number.

I am not sure, how it is. I have just downloaded fw updater for HW I do not have, not speaking about having it registered. But maybe some kind of check is done later on.....

• Monochrome
    Monochrome Member Posts: 1,113 Expert

I base this upon screens shown here and here, but I think I've just confused it with the hardware serial number of the device itself rather than the serial number that's listed under My Products, Serials & Downloads?!

• Kubrak

NI SW just shows serial number of given HW. I do not think, it checks if it is registered, or even registered to given user..... It would have to ask for user name and password to see what HW has given user registered to his account.

• Nico_NI
    Nico_NI Administrator Posts: 1,124 admin
    edited March 2022

For anyone still wondering, this thread gathers everything about License Transfer 👇