Potential solution to fix bricked MK3 keyboard on Apple Silicon (white screen)

Options
TomSynsongs
TomSynsongs Member Posts: 42 Member

Like other Mac users with Apple Silicon CPUs may have experienced, if the Firmware Updater does not fullly do its job, the keyboard does no longer come up but instead displays a white screen.

After countless hours of testing forth and back, here is how I could get my S61 MK3 back to life despite it showing a white screen on bootup:

1. I have power-cycled the device a number of times (around 10 - 20), with the white screen appearing every time
  2. Then I have connected the keyboard to the USB Charger of my Macbook Pro. After powering it on, the white screen was still there.
  3. For the data connection, I have used a USB-C to USB-A adapter and plugged the USB-A cable directly into the USB-A port on the back of my Mac Studio. The display was still white.
  4. I then launched the Firmware Updater and started it. The firmware updater got active although the device itself still showed nothing but the white screen. Letting it run for around 5 minutes, the firmware update suddenly reported success and the S61 MK3 lit up again, telling me that it downloads the firmware. Once finished, the screen went on to the "Default MIDI template."

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Tom

Comments

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,845 mod
    Options

Thanks, at least that shows there is some hope that being in the 'bricked' state is not unfixable with perseverance

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 3,241 mod
    Options

User situation were at some point , quote : "The updater said I should power-cycle everything and after doing so, the display came up with a totally white screen. "

So I would say more like with exceptional perseverance ! 🙂 Ref. !

• Steve Spared
    Steve Spared Member Posts: 3 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

You've got some part of the solution you said right, Tom.

I will tell you my experience with Mac Studio and I believe it would help further pin point the main problem, even though we're not entirely there just yet.

As simple as it might sound: simply do not update any Native Instruments hardware on the Mac Studio itself. Do it on a Mac Book Pro or on a PC if you can, it works there. It's been 3 times that this occurs to me with NI hardware. I had to move to my Mac Book Pro to update my S4 MK3 for the last update, I got an X1 MK3 and I had to do the exact same thing when I received it, and now once again with the S61 MK3.

MacOS on the Studio seems to be a bit of a different version than the one on the MBPs. I have seen this as well with other people noticing the same thing on different forums for different issues even.

I hope this information helps.

• Mixmad
    Mixmad Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

Amazing. On my Mac Mini M2 Pro, which has one USB A connector on the back, after trying many attempts using USB-C to USB-C direct from my Kontrol S88 Mk3 to the Mini's own USB C connectors and also via various USB hubs without success, I used a USB-C to USB-A cable plugged into the Mini's own USB A connector, then the firmware updater succeeded, and I'm good to go again. I can't explain how this could be, but obviously I'm happy not to have to ship the huge Kontrol S88 Mk3 for servicing. Profuse thanks to Steve Spared for this strange technique! If anyone can explain it, I'll be all ears!

Thanks, Steve!

-David.

• Steve Spared
    Steve Spared Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Wow David, I am quite amazed that this is working out for you now. Indeed Apple isn’t perfect as expensive as it is.

cheers bud and happy producing in 2024 😎

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,845 mod
    Options

I don’t have a MacBook but do have a 2019 Intel iMac so do you think it would be better to update on that rather than my M1 MacStudio?

• Dj.newave
    Dj.newave Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

Thank u so much…Steve!

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 911 mod
    Options

There exist USB-C issues on certain computers that we can do nothing about other than advise use of a USB-C hub. perhaps this was the case for you, but I cannot say.