Collectors Edition unusable on Sonoma

Options
Max Marlo
Max Marlo Member Posts: 5 Member

Hi, I own the collectors edition and since installing Sonoma it hasn’t worked properly with Logic, I load up one instance of kontakt 7 and it crashes logic, my Spitfire Audio libraries seem to not affect logic in this way on Sonoma, but Kontakt do. That’s an issue, and I hope is fixed soon. The question is when? One good thing came out of it for me though, I got to re-format my external ssd to apfs instead of journaled, that’s such a necessity for anyone using external ssd’s with Mac. No more waiting for the ssd to sync, so nothing is so bad it isn’t good for something else, that said I really hope I get to use my collector’s edition soon!

Best Answer

• Max Marlo
    Answer ✓
    Options

UPDATE: After I formatted my samsung 2tb SSD to APFS I’ve had fewer troubles. Kontakt 7 seems to work now, I would say that Komplete Collectors Edition is more usable on Sonoma when your library’s location SSD format is APFS (NOT JOURNALED)

For people needing a tutorial to make the APFS ssd format change I can recommend this as it worked for me: visit 358Studios youtube channel or search “Formatting SSD’s to APFS: step by step tutorial.”

Answers

• Monochrome
    Monochrome Member Posts: 1,153 Expert
    Options

Hi, Sonoma is not yet officially fully supported as written on this page:

(That list somehow misses "Massive X", which got a compatibility update two days ago.)

I do think that full compatibility can be expected soon... The devs @ NI seem very busy testing stuff.

• Max Marlo
    Options

I hope it's soon, but when? An unusable collectors edition is really bad. :/

• Loewmusic
    Loewmusic Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

I'm also thinking about upgrading to Sonoma now the latest Logic 10.8.0 no longer supports Monterey.Think I'll hold off if Kontakt is having issues.Are any of the other NI plugins having issues with Sonoma?

• noumansaeed
    noumansaeed Member Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Have the update fully rolled yet?

• reffahcs
    reffahcs Member Posts: 848 Guru
    Options

Have you tried using Kontakt standalone? I'm on MacOS 14.1.1 and Kontakt seems to be working fine for now. Ironically the only reason I ended up upgrading to 14 was because Kontakt was causing kernel panics in 13.5 causing my entire Mac to reboot.

I never did figure out the issue, it just randomly stopped doing it. It still does it occasionally though, but it hasn't happened in awhile. I always suspected it was graphics related, because it was the Window Server that was actually causing the kernel panic, but it would be triggered by something simple like moving the Kontakt window with the mouse, and sometimes it would just die as soon as it opened.

• Max Marlo
    Options

It might be better in 14.1.1.

but not compatible still.

• reffahcs
    reffahcs Member Posts: 848 Guru
    edited November 2023
    Options

I wasn't suggesting you upgrade to 14.1.1, simply explaining why I decided to. Whether NI has declared it "compatible" or not is largely irrelevant in my eyes. There's plenty of software marketed as "compatible" that doesn't work as advertised. There's only so much testing vendors can do, and for PC's (x86-64) it's even worse. In my case I've only encountered a few minor issues since upgrading to 14.1.1, there are also several other people in this forum that are running the latest versions of MacOS with NI products as well.

I understand the frustration with buying a product and it not working. If you'd like help from the community then I would be happy to try and help you, as I'm sure other's would too.

However if you're just voicing your frustration that NI has not officially declared their products "compatible" with MacOS 14, then I'll let things be and encourage you to submit a trouble ticket with NI for whatever specific issues you're having.

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,856 mod
    edited November 2023
    Options

Exactly NI are just playing it safe and being thorough but for me everything works on Sonoma that worked before so there is a huge difference between not ‘officially’ supported and ‘not working’ or ‘unusable’

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,965 mod
    Options

@Max Marlo Do you still get these crashes? Even if Sonoma is not officially supported we haven't seen similar casses, akthough we would need more information, like how does the crash occur? Does it also crash in Kontakt in standalone? Do Logic and Kontakt both have full disk access? How to Enable Full Disk Access on macOS

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,856 mod
    Options

I should add that there is now a graphics issue in Komplete Kontrol 3 in Logic but it wasn’t apparent until recently so may have been introduced with recent Sonoma updates or Logic updates or KK updates or a bit of all 3. A good example of how dynamic this all is, even if you had official Sonoma things change as stuff gets updated.

• Peaky Lasco
    Peaky Lasco Member Posts: 14 Member
    Options

Kontakt and K5 are working when K7 is not working under Sonoma. My external disc is in extended journaled. Could it be the reason? It’s strange. Why is working with K and K5 and not K7?

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 3,276 mod
    edited December 2023
    Options

In case that you are not aware of this support page : Notes on Network Drives and Disk Formats (Extended 'Journaled' is only recommended for "On macOS 10.12 Sierra (and earlier versions of OS X)" ) : https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/360014663958-Notes-on-Network-Drives-and-Disk-Formats

Also the other important one ! : How to Enable Full Disk Access on macOS :  https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/4415601248657-How-to-Enable-Full-Disk-Access-on-macOS

• Max Marlo
    Answer ✓
    Options

UPDATE: After I formatted my samsung 2tb SSD to APFS I’ve had fewer troubles. Kontakt 7 seems to work now, I would say that Komplete Collectors Edition is more usable on Sonoma when your library’s location SSD format is APFS (NOT JOURNALED)

For people needing a tutorial to make the APFS ssd format change I can recommend this as it worked for me: visit 358Studios youtube channel or search “Formatting SSD’s to APFS: step by step tutorial.”