Kontakt 5 Not Auto-Migrating

Options
EL_C
EL_C Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

Hi,

I've seen this topic in a few places but haven't found a resolution for my case, and I'd be surprised if this isn't happening to other folks.

I have a batch of Logic projects that use Kontakt 5, which according to the article "Notes about Auto-Migration of Kontakt Versions in DAW Projects" should auto-migrate to Kontakt 7 when I open them.

Instead I get an error, "The plug-in named “Kontakt 5” isn’t available on your system."

Kontakt 7 is definitely installed, as is Kontakt 6 in case I needed a "stepping stone" of sorts. Neither option worked.

I also tried to install Kontakt 5, but the install fails, since Kontakt 5 isn't supported beyond macOS 13.0 (See article: Kontakt (Player) Legacy Installers for Older Operating Systems), and I am on 14.0.

There's got to be some kind of solution, right? What am I missing?

PS. I'd have posted article links, but the community guidelines won't let me since I'm a new user…Sorry about it.

Comments

• EL_C
    EL_C Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

Albeit not ideal, I've found a solution. Turns out Kontakt 5 did install, which allowed me to open the projects using K5 without issue and migrate the instruments one-by-one into K7. Using snapshots helped speed this along.

One option that did not work for me but may for others is to disable K5 in the plug-ins manager and reload the project.

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 1,052 Guru
    Options

Kinda of amazed that any of this worked since almost no NI plugins are supported under Sonoma.

VP

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,023 mod
    edited November 2023
    Options

Migration definitely does work as has been confirmed, with Logic 10.7.1 and above IIRC. I think (don't quote me on that) that the trick is that you have to have ONLY Kontakt 7 installed, if it finds any earlier version also installed it might not work.

• Calagan
    Calagan Member Posts: 163 Advisor
    Options

@EvilDragon : by any chance, would you have any "insider" information about Ableton Live or other DAWs thinking about implementing this kind of feature ?

I could spend a two weeks holidays instead of trying to migrate all the K5 and K6 instances of older sessions into K7 in order to have clean reliable sessions I can run native on my M1 Mac...

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,023 mod
    edited February 19
    Options

Even if I had any such insider info I wouldn't be able to share it. Best contact Ableton themselves and request the feature (as mentioned, they would need to support the IPluginCompatibility class for VST3 migration feature, for AU I don't know the specifics).

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,828 mod
    Options

I did ask some people I know on the 12 beta and it sounds like they have not addressed this so far

• roq
    roq Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Auto-migration not working here. Latest Ventura (13.6.6) and Logic (10.8.1), removed every single previous kontakt file as per the uninstall instructions (plugin files, applications, preferences, etc..). Rebooted to make sure AU cache is cleared after deletes…

Frustrating :-(