Kontakt 5 Not Auto-Migrating

Options
EL_C
EL_C Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

Hi,

I've seen this topic in a few places but haven't found a resolution for my case, and I'd be surprised if this isn't happening to other folks.

I have a batch of Logic projects that use Kontakt 5, which according to the article "Notes about Auto-Migration of Kontakt Versions in DAW Projects" should auto-migrate to Kontakt 7 when I open them.

Instead I get an error, "The plug-in named “Kontakt 5” isn’t available on your system."

Kontakt 7 is definitely installed, as is Kontakt 6 in case I needed a "stepping stone" of sorts. Neither option worked.

I also tried to install Kontakt 5, but the install fails, since Kontakt 5 isn't supported beyond macOS 13.0 (See article: Kontakt (Player) Legacy Installers for Older Operating Systems), and I am on 14.0.

There's got to be some kind of solution, right? What am I missing?

PS. I'd have posted article links, but the community guidelines won't let me since I'm a new user…Sorry about it.

Comments

• EL_C
    EL_C Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

Albeit not ideal, I've found a solution. Turns out Kontakt 5 did install, which allowed me to open the projects using K5 without issue and migrate the instruments one-by-one into K7. Using snapshots helped speed this along.

One option that did not work for me but may for others is to disable K5 in the plug-ins manager and reload the project.

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 948 Guru
    Options

Kinda of amazed that any of this worked since almost no NI plugins are supported under Sonoma.

VP

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,023 mod
    edited November 2023
    Options

Migration definitely does work as has been confirmed, with Logic 10.7.1 and above IIRC. I think (don't quote me on that) that the trick is that you have to have ONLY Kontakt 7 installed, if it finds any earlier version also installed it might not work.

• Calagan
    Calagan Member Posts: 157 Advisor
    Options

@EvilDragon : by any chance, would you have any "insider" information about Ableton Live or other DAWs thinking about implementing this kind of feature ?

I could spend a two weeks holidays instead of trying to migrate all the K5 and K6 instances of older sessions into K7 in order to have clean reliable sessions I can run native on my M1 Mac...

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,023 mod
    edited February 19
    Options

Even if I had any such insider info I wouldn't be able to share it. Best contact Ableton themselves and request the feature (as mentioned, they would need to support the IPluginCompatibility class for VST3 migration feature, for AU I don't know the specifics).

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,751 mod
    Options

I did ask some people I know on the 12 beta and it sounds like they have not addressed this so far