Has any one else experienced the white noise blast in Kontakt - Kinetic Metal?

Options
2»

Comments

• Calagan
    Calagan Member Posts: 157 Advisor
    Options

Hi Twan. Sorry to hear that. Please send them a support message.

I did that also, but I couldn't reproduce the issue in another Live session so they did close the support ticket without much interest. I find it quite crazy they take this so lightly because it's a very dangerous issue.

Could you tell what was the context of the issue in Live ?

• jeromepee
    jeromepee Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

Hello, same issue for me, a big noise sound, on the first preset. I am happy to see that I am not the only one, but I am sad to know that I can't use this bank until the bug would be fix...

Any news ?

Thanx,

J.

• Calagan
    Options

I did send an email to the support. They say they can't reproduce the issue. So there is no issue...

By any chance, do you use Ableton Live ? Do you use a virtual IAC midi port ? I noticed recently that using the IAC remote out port enabled could create some midi feedback loops and issues in some contexts. I don't think it has any relation with this issue (I didn't test after I disabled it), but who knows.

Because to me it looks like a feedback somewhere in the scripting of the instrument.

Midi ? Audio ?... I don't know and the NI support doesn't care at all...

• McDowell
    McDowell Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

I just came across these comments. Thanks for your interest in this!

The original sound incident caused tinnitus, which I still have over a year later, and I developed severe pain hyperacusis. The ENT put it down to "cochlear concussion". I'm just starting to push myself to get back to normal life now but it has been an awful year. I just wish I never loaded Kinetic Metal that day. I have high pitched tinnitus at all times and I think I'll have this ringing for the rest of my life - but I am learning to live with it. I feel stupid that I didn't place a limiter on my main output and due to wearing openback headphones, I had my volume up on my laptop. Silly me!

Please stay away from Kinetic Metal - without sounding too drastic - it ruined my life!

• Calagan
    Options

@McDowell

So sorry to hear that... Maybe you should tell NI about your experience : they absolutely need to fix that, because it's a very dangerous issue and it's not possible to let it harm people like that.

I noticed that (so far) it didn't happen to me when using Kinetic Metal in Kontakt 7 : I had once a bizarre clicky noise in similar situation (playing a lot of notes) but it was not a very loud blast noise...

Regarding your tinnitus, many doctors will say it's not possible to cure (and in some way it's true) but it exists methods to re-habilitate the ear and get rid of most issues (like ringing). Check the Tomatis Method, and try to explore some alternative ways of fixing this. Don't hesitate in seeing more than one doctor (if you can) because the ear issues are not understood at all, and a lot of doctors just consider there is nothing to do.

If you follow this method, be sure to do the rehabilitation with a doctor, not at home with headphones and some recording. It seems some followers of Tomatis have simplified the method (to earn more money of course) : it's important you do the process with someone qualified that guide you through the process. You'll notice quickly if the person is treating you like a customer or like a person, listening to you and taking time to understand your issue.

I don't have ear issues myself, but I know at least 2 persons (my step-brother and an older musician/sound engineer) that solved ringing and even part of their ear loss following this method... It's based on cognitive research, and on the idea that instead of trying to repair the body, they can rehabilitate the brain.

(sorry for my english, but I guess you get the point, even if my words may be not the good ones).