Issues: Dependency installation process is taking longer than normal

Comments

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,624 mod
  • ButterFingers
    ButterFingers Member Posts: 2 Member

@Jeremy_NI

Thought I'd put my 0.5cents in.

Been in lengthy (and responsive) conversation with support.

I though I'd summarize some of the convolutions here to see if it triggers something useful.

I'm on Windows 11 (everything up to date, nvidia drivers etc).

1. The NA2 fails to install by itself. It creates a NTKDaemon service, but fails to add the exectuable (NTKDaemon.exe) in "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Native Instruments\NTK\NTKDaemon.exe". It then goes into the 'taking a long time' state.
    2. The NTKDaemon installation download attempts to install to "C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\NTKDaemon\NTKDaemon.exe". Different path? It failed anyway with a "Failed" installer message.
    3. I cleaned out everything (files in program files, user directories and registry), rebooted. Then I manually extracted NTKDaemon. exe from the installers and placed it in both locations (1 and 2 above). NA2 now starts up! This is an ugly hack, but what the hey! So is NA2! But ... any attempt to download updates (of which I have three) results in a non-informative download failed message.
    4. I am unable to regress to NA1, since it also fails to install with uninformative messages. I cbf to try all the steps above with NA1.

Some observations:

Clearly the software is defective. Multiple locations for the daemon are weird. An installer failing to add the executable after creating the service speaks to poor exception-handling.

There appear to be some fundamental design aspects that are broken, given that the problems seem to be common across Mac and Windows.

The development team appear to be driven by inappropriate requirements that seem to prioritize aesthetics and 'newness' over reliable function.

I saw your post Jeremy_NI regarding precicely this problem (https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/12266/for-users-facing-issues-with-installing-native-access-3-3-0#latest), but it only referenced Mac. I hope that similar consideration is being given to Windows users as well?

I'd like to stress that my contact in the support ticket has been responsive, so my issue is really with NI management overall. The extensive number of threads on this topic are proof of something seriously amiss with product development and release.

When can we expect a new release of NA that has been tested?

with regards,

Hans

• Jeremy_NI

@ButterFingers Thanks for all that information. If you want to know more or comment about current and future Native Access I'd recommend to check and participate in that thread: DevTalks: Native Access Startup Journey and Next steps

I saw your post Jeremy_NI regarding precicely this problem (https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/12266/for-users-facing-issues-with-installing-native-access-3-3-0#latest), but it only referenced Mac. I hope that similar consideration is being given to Windows users as well?

Well, it's not my post but it is clearly an issue on M1 Macs, so whatever issue you are having is a different one. There are also issues with Windows users but in a less systematic way so it is for now better handled by our support directly, given than the steps provided in our KB or forum posts did not help.

• ButterFingers
    ButterFingers Member Posts: 2 Member

@Jeremy_NI Thanks, Jeremy, I looked back and yes, it was not your post. I did not intend to come across agressive or the like. :)

• Warchild
    Warchild Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

Native Instruments is failing pretty hard here, I cant get Native Access 2 to install it just keeps doing the same dumb ******. I am close to selling all my NI gear and just go with another brand what a steaming pile...S8 wont work with 3.9 and Native Access just wont load I hate what this company has become. Let me guess hold on for a few months so we can manage to break yet another feature?

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 2,595 mod
    edited July 2023

N.I. have had/have some problems with the Native Access app and it's co-app NTK Daemon , especially with not cleaning up all traces of old installations when/prior to trying to install new version, getting the installation to either fail or not work as should. Being on Windows 11 you however all along have had choice/option to clean up windows for any trace of any old installation of Native Access ( Removing any trace of "NTKDaemon" and "Native Access" in registry, in running process/Service, and on hard drive) and that usually makes it work when you re-install. It's a lot of work and I agree ought not be required but usually it will fix the problems with Native Access.

I don't know if an app such as Revo Unistall Pro (free 30 days trial available) can remove it all if using the Forced uninstall function (that also looks on hard drive) or if it requires more manual work but you could try. Just remember to (preferably) take a full backup of system, +make a manual restore point +manual backup of registry to have optimum fail-safe for reverting any changes (also Revo only asks Windows to make Restore pints it doesn't check if actually made).

Incidentally then a new Native Access were out today (V.3.5.0) but might still require you to clean Windows of old prior to install , but of course you could just try to install it if you wish ! :

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/specials/native-access-2/

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 898 Guru

"I don't know if an app such as Revo Uninstaller Pro (free 30 days trial available) can remove it all if using the Forced uninstall function (that also looks on hard drive) or if it requires more manual work but you could try."

This app rules.

Especially when you engage it and "install" through it (with its logging on). Revo records everything and can remove ALL traces of even the most insidious software out there like say - iTunes for Windows.

I have had a multi-PC license for years and it has saved my can more times that I can count.

VP

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 2,595 mod
    edited July 2023

I agree with respect to Revo Uninstaller Pro , I myself bought a two years update license recently. But since I haven't cared to start installing old versions of Native Access and NTKDaemon to test the programs ability to clean after those for people that have not used Revo Uninstaller Pro when installing then I can't tell how effective it will be if used in connection with the type of problems as have been seen/experienced by the users in question !

Revo Uninstaller Pro also have a rather responsive customer service !

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 898 Guru

Understood - I can save you some time and let you know that I did use Revo when I was using old versions of Native Access and as long as you let Revo handle the install (vs running it freeform yourself) - it will clean everything perfectly.

VP

• Red4life69
    Red4life69 Member Posts: 5 Newcomer

100% agree right now they are breach of a digital software contract too so I am wondering where I send my invoivce for the £3500 grand of software and hardware that is right now completely useless as I cannot reinstall anything with this stupid Native Access

• Red4life69
    Red4life69 Member Posts: 5 Newcomer

Its October NOW and still no working Native Access. Anything to say NI?

• kds
    kds Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

Any update in sight yet? I bought this plastic piece of Hardware (Kontrol S2) today to play around with some .wav files but it seems i am unable to install your Software boyz.

And all that AFTER i followed the steps mentioned on your instructions on support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/10379949951261-Native-Access-Error-Dependency-installation-process-is-taking-longer-than-normal-

Guys, you force your customers to download and execute bat files from g-drive? if theres no solution soon i bring the stuff back to the store.

• Jeremy_NI

@kds if this didn't help then please contact our support here: http://bit.ly/NIsupport_install

• kds
    kds Member Posts: 3 Newcomer
    edited November 2023

Your posted link led me straight to the site containing exact the instruction i followed posted above. we´re running in circles somehow. does your software uses special DNS-Server?

Edit: i see another tutorial on NI-Site where "the support" tells me to try to switch off my AV and FW and to download and execute several diagnostic tools from MS and maybe to unplug my 2nd monitor...seriously? Sorry but i did not buy the hardware including the software to train myself as it-admin. i ve already spent too much time into it. no other installed app made any problems on my machine yet, neither network nor system related. i am pretty sure the issue isnt on my pc, its the software. if NI is not able to provide a reasonable solution it would really disappoint me.

• Jeremy_NI
    edited November 2023

@kds I have sent you a link to our Native Access typeform, it contains the most common issues with their fixes but you always have the possibility to submit a support request if the solutions provided did not work, you simply have to answer "that doesn't help" or no to every question, then you can submit your request. How to Contact NI Support