Need Soft Takeover for Pioneer XDJ-700!

13»

Answers

• DJBoni
    DJBoni Member Posts: 39 Member
    edited October 2022

@Uwe303: Thanks again. You understand my issue totally!

You answered my last question I wanted to reply a last time to NI support which would have been: "Are Traktor DJ users really so different that they don't want soft takeover?"

So no, they are not. I thought so, but wasn't sure. Now I am.

Indeed: These XDJ-700's (or 1000mk2's) with Traktor DJ are useless to me since I use automatic beatmatch a lot and have no way to pitch up or down a track while playing with these compact multiplayers.

Bummer. 😑

Buying a pair of CDJ 3000's for having soft takeover is no option. They are too big for my discobar (and to expensive). They would only fit if I also replace my good old Rodec six channel MX240 MKIII mixer with a narrower four channel DJM-900NXS2 Pioneer mixer which is not for my kind of dj work. On a regular basis (wedding party's) I need four microphones, guitar and / or synthesizer and projector inputs. My six channel Rodec mixer is perfect for that.

The only way out is changing software. I'm Trying to get used at home to Pioneer's Rekordbox.

• DJBoni

The Pioneer Support team is still trying to help me.

they wrote me this today:

Hiromichi (Pioneer DJ Global) 

Oct 31, 2022, 12:40 GMT+9 

Hi Boni,

I'm sorry for the late reply.

Is the issue basically that when you move a tempo fader on XDJ-700, the tempo change doesn't reflect to Traktor?

In another word, the HID control is not perfectly enabled like rekordbox, VirtualDJ etc?

I don't know how each DJ software let it to control via CDJ/XDJ, but perhaps the Traktor has a different system.

If other DJ software work, it seems it's a Trakor problem or a spec.

Is it possible to take a video how your XDJ-700 doesn't work properly on Traktor as you had expected?

I will show to the engineers and confirm.

Best regards,

Pioneer DJ Support

--------------------------------------

• DJBoni
    edited October 2022

My reply to Pioneer support:

Hi Hirochimi,

Pioneer’s Rekordbox, VirtualDJ and Algoriddim’s djay Pro software, which all three work perfect with my two XDJ-700’s, have no option to to deactivate the tempo fader soft takeover.

So i think most DJ’s want it that way. I’m one of them.

But i just found a request on the Pioneer forum from an exception.

See > https://forums.pioneerdj.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360022404711-Tempo-Fader-soft-takeover

I want the Tempo Fader soft takeover ACTIVATED in Traktor DJ on my XDJ-700’s, which is not. 

Now the problem is that the native instruments support team, as i wrote you, states that he device is not compatible. They are a also saying that Pioneer is not responsible for this.

Great, so i’m stuck now with a device i want to use with Traktor DJ and soft takeover activated which is not possible.

When is visit the Pioneer website > https://www.pioneerdj.com/en-gb/product/player/ and select “compatible software > Traktor Pro is see the CDJ-3000, XDJ-1000MK2 en XDJ-700 show up.

But NO message anywhere that tell’s me that the soft takeover function can only be activated for the CDJ-3000 in the Traktor DJ software itself.

See NATIVE INSTRUMENTS guideline > How to Overmap the CDJ 3000 with TRAKTOR PRO 3.

They don’t mention it in the two examples the give but it’s there. When i open my Traktor DJ software and navigate to Preferences > Controller Manager, i can add add these three Pioneer DJ devices > CDJ-3000, XDJ-1000MK2 and XDJ-700 (see four screenshots in attachment).

Out of the three devices, native instruments only makes it possible to overmap the CDJ 3000.

If made possible by Native Instruments, activating soft takeover is very easy. 

As an example: On my screenshot in attachment of the CDJ-3000 in the Traktor DJ preferences I have drawn a red rectangle around the checkbox in front of "Soft Takeover” (Fader / Knob).

Native Instruments let me know they do no not officially support the XDJ-1000MK2 en XDJ-700 (although i can add the three devices in the software where i only have a pair XDJ-700’s).

Pioneer, however, states that they support it. See > https://www.pioneerdj.com/en/news/2020/xdj-1000mk2-xdj-700-traktor-pro-3-compatibility/

Quote:

12 March, 2020

Our XDJ-1000MK2 and XDJ-700 now support TRAKTOR PRO 3 including USB-HID control

Native Instruments’ TRAKTOR PRO 3 DJ software is now compatible with the USB - HID control feature of our XDJ-1000MK2 and XDJ-700multi players. This comes under the Pioneer DJ Certification Program, an initiative to evaluate products from other companies and certify them as compatible with our DJ gear so you know you can use them together with confidence.

You can use the XDJ-1000MK2/XDJ-700 to intuitively control TRAKTOR PRO 3 including scratching and tempo adjustment. The deck also displays track titles, artwork and other information from the software so you can quickly select your next track without looking at your computer.

Registered users can download the latest version of TRAKTOR (version 3.3.0) for free to use USB-HID control with the XDJ-1000MK2/XDJ-700. You’ll also need to update your firmware for the XDJ-1000MK2 to ver. 1.42, and for the XDJ-700 to ver. 1.13 if you haven’t already.

------------------------

Well, that’s not totally true.

Yes, USB-HID control works fine with Traktor DJ since version 3.3.0, but there is NO possibility to activate soft takeover on the XDJ-1000MK2 and XDJ-700. Only on the CDJ-3000 which is the only device out of the three that’s being supported by Native Instruments.

Could the Pioneer engineers’s maybe build this in?

I don’t need an option to activate or deactivate soft takeover, i want it alway’s ACTIVATED!

I could take a video as you asked me, but i don’t think doing that is going to make it more clear.

kind regards,

dj Boni

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,040 mod

After all that seems really strange to me, i can't believe that it's so hard to implement that. I also can't believe that one want to have parameter jumps in his set - again how on earth could one not implement it in the first place? It must be possible no matter with what "signal" it works behind the HID "scenes". THX for sharing it

• DJBoni
    edited October 2022

Uwe303: My pleasure to share this.

I also believe it can't be so hard to implement that. But i wonder since NI doesn't give the opportunity to activate soft takeover in Traktor DJ for the XDJ-1000MK2 and XDJ-700 if the Pioneer engineers are going to be able to implement soft takeover for these two devices working with Traktor DJ.

• DJBoni
    edited November 2022

Got a reply again from Pioneer:

----------------------------------------------------------

Hiromichi (Pioneer DJ Global) 

Nov 9, 2022, 12:41 GMT+9 

Hi Boni,

I understand how XDJ-700 and Traktor don't work as you intend to, but unfortunately, it is a Native Instruments' matter,

and there is nothing we can do.

As XDJ-700 works with other DJ software, it is not a problem of XDJ-700, but it's Traktor.

I wonder why NI has built that kind of behaviour in the Beat SYNC fuction, but please confirm with them if there is any way to improve it. 

However, XDJ-700 is a pretty old model, so any company would hesitate to improve their software.

If you want to use like you had mentioned, I would recommend using rekordbox or any other software that work like you

intend to.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Pioneer DJ Support

-------------------------------------------------------

Yea, it's a Native Instruments' Matter! 😄

And since Native Instruments say's it doesn't support the XDJ-700 (and XDJ-1000MK2) i can forget it.

• Uwe303

But that doesn't proof that it is a native matter, they just claim it. In my opinion the one who wrote the driver is in charge of the functions, and native provides the function....- but we will never know for sure.

• DJBoni

@Uwe303: I'm still confused about who is and who is not involved in the situation.

Is it that Pioneer wrote the driver for the XDJ-700 and XDJ-1000MK2 and then announced this without informing Native Instruments?

12 March, 2020 / Our XDJ-1000MK2 and XDJ-700 now support TRAKTOR PRO 3 including USB-HID control

As far as i understand it now, Native Instruments has nothing to do with that announcement.

• Uwe303
    edited November 2022

I don't know, could even be some kind of colab, so both to blame a bit ...we will never know