[Coming soon] Mark your calendar for KONTAKT 7

Comments

• Monochrome
    Monochrome Member Posts: 1,128 Expert

I'd assume it's going to be the same price as Kontakt 6, but we'll see. Komplete 14, for example, hasn't become more expensive either. Still costs the same as Komplete 13.

• Jon Watte
    Jon Watte Member Posts: 77 Advisor

Will Kontakt 7 feature the new, scalable, UI?

It's not mentioned among the features, so I would guess "no?"

• tempsperdu
    tempsperdu Member Posts: 321 Pro

I guess they feel that "New hi-DPI interface: One of the most requested improvements is coming!" explains it is.

• Nico_NI
    Nico_NI Administrator Posts: 1,124 admin

A consistent browsing experience is definitely what we aim for 💪

• apricotandpearjam
    apricotandpearjam Member Posts: 78 Member

@Nico_NI are there any release notes / videos / more info about K7 that we could have pls?

Thanks

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,879 mod
    edited September 2022

Good question, not sure. "Scalable" and "high-dpi" is not always the same thing, as in... it can be high-res but not resizable to whatever size you want, like when SW uses vectors and is fully scalable or it can have several predefined sizes (100%, 125%, 150%, etc) or it could just be 2x the pixels at half size and not resizable at all and you're stuck with what you get. 🤷‍♂️

Hopefully, it's not the last option.

• tokenboomer
    tokenboomer Member Posts: 24 Member

A couple of questions. First the Play series generally features two sound sources that you can mix together to create new sounds. But each instrument seems to be limited to the sound sources included within it. Is there a possibility with Kontakt 7 that we can create new sounds by drawing from the sound sources of other play instruments? Maybe we can already do this but I don't know about it. Second, I'm running Big Sur on an Intel iMac. I'm assuming there won't be compatibility issues. Am I right?

• tempsperdu

Good point, I think it's only fair that they clarify this. I'm not sure that structurally it's entirely decided upon or properly tested as yet.

• tempsperdu

Sounds like you would like a Play Player and I guess that would appeal to many, but I'm sceptical about how easy that would be to program or if the will is there to pursue it.

• Jon Watte
    Jon Watte Member Posts: 77 Advisor

New hi-DPI interface: One of the most requested improvements is coming!" explains it is

As said, unfortunately, not quite.

Maybe they just made the windows bigger, with bigger text, and I still end up with list boxes that show too few items and I have to scroll 1000 times to find something.

With a scalable UI, I could make the window taller (without making it wider) and get more items in that list box. I guess, pedantically, I really also mean to include "resizable" in that set, so what we really want is "scalable, re-sizable, hi-DPI interface" :-D

Hi-DPI is also important, because characters that are effectively measured in microns don't make it easy to see what's going on. But they are somewhat different. The interface list box problem is most prominent in Komplete Kontrol, to be fair:

Those are not just Kontakt patches, but patches across all instruments. Anyway -- more about this in "that other thread" :-D

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,879 mod

Yeah... I'd argue that it's more important in KK than in Kontakt since KK is able to browse all products, but maybe I am biased since I always loaded Kontakt within KK. I kind of lost my patience and sold my KKS mk2 yesterday.

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,284 Guru

I agree with you 100%. Guessing it might have been due to a "Russian Nesting Dolls" situation. Some of the puzzles in developing a new "Universal" browser had to be solved within Kontakt before it could be embedded within KK.

I have been almost at the point with my KK controllers.... and I have 4 of them: S88mk2, S49mk2, A25, M32. The slow development of KK software has been very frustrating.

• tempsperdu

nightjar

I have been almost at the point with my KK controllers.... and I have 4 of them: S88mk2, S49mk2, A25, M32. The slow development of KK software has been very frustrating.

You wouldn't want NI to actually show some speed in development. The shock would be far too great for any mere mortal to bear............................. 😗

• CharlesBarbour
    CharlesBarbour Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

I truly hope they provide the ability to resize the home page. It is incredibly old in 2022; I have a hard time seeing the little interface. This is the feature that I would have assumed gets the most requests.

Version 6.8 should actually be called if they fail to resize the main screen from version 7.

Version 6 should have been used to maintain compatibility, and Version 7 should have been used by third-party organisations who wanted to update their libraries with new UI scaling. At some time, they must make the transition to a contemporary sized UI. Better would be sooner.

This discussion has been closed.