Trying to map Semitone up/down to a knob but I can't get the original key in the middle?

cazco
cazco Member Posts: 46 Member
edited February 27 in Mapping Traktor

this is what I have

Fader/knob

Relative

Rotary sensitivity and rotary acceleration don't seem to make a difference. Every time I turn the knob the left and right values are different. Id like minus 12 to the left and plus twelve to the right! It's moving in the correct direction but the numbers are all over the shop.

Thank you for your help!

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,660 mod
    Answer ✓

I've tried every value as well using "Semitone Up/Down" with any sort of knob/fader. The command need discrete steps, so the only control elements usable seem to be either a button or an endless step encoder.

If you still need to have it on a knob with left/right ends and center position, you will have to settle for using "Add In.. --> Track Deck --> Key Adjust" with Type:Fader/Knob and InteractionMode:Direct, but it's going to be difficult to hit the semitones.

Answers

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,966 mod
    edited August 2022

Hello,

can you make a pic of the setting of the input you have added in the mapping editor. And what controller do you use?

• Sûlherokhh
    edited August 2022

Add In... --> Track Deck --> Semitone Up/Down.

Set it to encoder, not fader. 🦋

• cazco

Hey @sûiherokhh unfortunately it makes no difference. What you are seeing here is the knob turned all the way to the right on a Korg NanoKontrol Studio. however if I keep moving it to either extreme it will eventually land in the right place, so invert is pointless. I have tried changing the Encoder mode and that also doesn't help. @Uwe303 see below and many thanks in advance.

• Sûlherokhh
    Answer ✓

I've tried every value as well using "Semitone Up/Down" with any sort of knob/fader. The command need discrete steps, so the only control elements usable seem to be either a button or an endless step encoder.

If you still need to have it on a knob with left/right ends and center position, you will have to settle for using "Add In.. --> Track Deck --> Key Adjust" with Type:Fader/Knob and InteractionMode:Direct, but it's going to be difficult to hit the semitones.

• cazco

@Sûlherokhh Thank you ever so much for giving it a go, that's really kind of you. The reason I wanted to map it to a knob rather than a button was to do that effect where you set a loop and then you make the loop smaller and smaller until its 1/32 and at the same time you raise the pitch and add some reverb or delay so it creates hype. I know you can do with the tempo fader but it's not as dramatic. Key adjust works great for that thank you so much!

If you can think of a more efficient way of doing the whole effect, Im all ears! I am guessing a one button for the whole process with all these would be the best way. I am going to try that!

What hes doing at three mins https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1bQyAaIH0U

• Sûlherokhh
    edited August 2022

Now i get what you are trying to achieve. The question now is how to put it into place and what settings will be needed. What i have seen so far other do is to create a seperate button for every semitone step along the way. I guess this could be reduced to two or three seperate buttons, one to go up, one to go down and maybe a third button to reset to +/- 0.

Both decreasing loop size as well as adding additional effect would in this case be a seperate thing on different controls. To throw all three together would entail a lot of experimentation with the values so i would advise keeping them seperate at first and see which values fit together nicely then try to merge them later.

• cazco

Yes it gets trick trying to to do it with one hand as the other lifts the volume fader up and down but if I have everything close together it might just about work! Thanks so much for your help, really appreciate it :)