R E T I N A. Still waiting in 2024. Surreal.

124»

Comments

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 3,209 Expert

Do you look at the dance floor while you prep? 😉

Let them have their feature request without attacks please.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,996 Expert

And retina share is even lower as not all Macs do have it.

And yes, it is similar to flickering bug in many aspects. One may avoid it. If one prefers Mac, Mac without retina is solution. For example.

And there are also other users than retina ones. For example Win users cannot play ALAC. Which means they cannot use loosless STEMs. IMHO it is way worse than missing retina support. Sound is what matters at the first place….

• Owner
    Owner Member Posts: 477 Guru
    edited September 3

Um, that's a general statistic, right? The relationship is wrong. You should take into account which parts of them use DJ software and then break it down again to see which of them regularly use Traktor. In my bubble, at least, very few DJs have a Windows computer. So for every 10 users, there are maybe 2 Windows users, at most.

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,530 Expert
    edited September 3

Owner said "In my bubble"

Yes, your bubble - which is not the big picture.

In MY bubble, I don't know anyone that uses a Mac or Traktor.

Outside of any bubbles, Windows is the most widely used OS, and the "big two" DJ programs are Serato and Rekordbox.

• Owner

I'll break it down a bit for you, because your "big picture" is also not relevant:

You can forget about iOS and Android, we're talking about Traktor Pro here. From the statistic you mentioned, I'd be interested to know how many of them need Traktor to DJ, and then you should have actual numbers that you can use as an argument. Then demographic factors come into play. Let's call them "bubbles" here, ok?

In my opinion, there are no reliable statistics on this. I think that these numbers are probably only available to NI and the Traktor team. They probably won't go into them much. My assumption just seems to be different to yours. I don't assume that the lack of support for retina screens isn't a problem because I hardly know anyone in my circle who uses Traktor with Windows. Everyone else needs Macs. I'm not trying to be absolutely right with my assumption, just to illustrate that the desire for it is not a coincidence, but seems to be justified.

It always seems very mysterious to me why users who are not affected by a problem do not want to admit it to others who are. I am sure that you can understand that, especially because you brought up a statistic as an argument. I will now simply add another one and tell you that the problem exists because it was at least in the top 15 of the suggested features. (Adjusted, it would now be at position 13.5 because we now have flexible beat grids and a few live stems).

Edit: I also completely agree with you and others who say that it is not the most pressing issue at the moment, but it has been coming up regularly for 10 years now. Especially when jumping from TP 2 to 3 and now again from TP 3 to 4. That is understandable and I think that it will come one day, the only question is when and whether Windows users will be able to benefit from it or not...

• PK The DJ

So….in your view, the facts (the big picture) are "not relevant" - but you "circle" is? 😂

All the stuff about "needing" Traktor and "needing" Macs - those are choices, not needs. Nobody NEEDS to use Traktor, and they don't NEED to run it on a Mac.

Most people (as proven by the aforementioned stats) CHOOSE to use Windows and CHOOSE to use Serato or Rekordbox.

I brought up a statistic as an argument? No, I was responding to the other user who did that (check back in the thread).

• Owner

Oh, I missed you, dear user @Kubrak especially on this topic. Nice to see that you also like to join in here to spread your opinions 🙃

(Serious note: I'm happy to take away your argument about the sound, you're absolutely right about that).

Without checking, I would say that all Macs have had a retina screen since around 2015. The first MacBook with retina was probably introduced around 2012. So in order to use TP4 with macOS Monterey, without using a hack, you would have to have at least one from that time in between, when not everyone had a retina screen. (BTW: No one is taking his Mac Mini or Mac Pro with a third party screen to a gig out there).

So I would like to point out to you and others users here:

A "DAMN" PROBLEM CAN EXIST EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT AFFECTED BY IT YOURSELF!

• Maciej Repetowski
    Maciej Repetowski Member Posts: 646 Guru

There’s no point arguing with those people. They have their mindset set in the “1080p is great for everyone” mantra. On top of that, we are using wrong computers 🤣

Because, of course, there are absolutely no HiDPI monitors for PCs (especially with new mid and high level PC laptops displays) and there’s no system level GUI scaling in Windows, just to accommodate for those monitors.

• Owner

You do the same thing in other forums (Algoriddim, for example. Your name is the same there as here, right?) You like to put your first points into perspective and then rub other people's mistakes in thinking in their faces if they have a different opinion. I was just trying to tell you that your statistic doesn't hold water because the numbers don't seem to be relevant to the topic being discussed here. That's a matter of perspective, of course. But I explained why I see it that way. I'd just be interested to see what the numbers look like when they're adjusted and you know exactly what I mean by that.

My interest in the discussion isn't in being right, but in showing that demographically speaking, the demands could be different because, based on my work, I hardly notice any other DJs who use Traktor and Windows.

We are here in the Traktor community and the users who ask for support for retina screens probably mainly need Traktor and not Serato or Rekordbox. I also think that these two other DJ programs now support Retina 😉 And that even though you don't think it's necessary...

Finally, just briefly: If a product is sold in such a way that you can assume it is compatible, you should be allowed to demand full support for it. The selling point for most people who have a Mac was probably that they can use it without restrictions. It is only a cosmetic flaw, but it has been pointed out for a good 10 years now that it is perceived as very annoying.

Why a Windows user would want to be right in a discussion that doesn't concern them personally remains a mystery to me. But the motivation behind it seems clear to me, you are in line with the behavior of other users who do the same thing. Even if you were a Mac user and it simply didn't bother you, you could still leave the issue as it is and focus on the things that you would consider to be beneficial.

• Owner

You've probably summed it up very well. Nevertheless, it seems to me that it's important not to let other users who happen to come across the discussion or search for the problem in the forum be blinded by it.

• Maciej Repetowski
    Maciej Repetowski Member Posts: 646 Guru
    edited September 3

True that.

Fun fact: I noticed that saying “HiDPI” instead of “Retina” irritates 1080p PC zealots less. I wonder why, as both are marketing terms for the same thing. 🤔

• PK The DJ
    edited September 3

@Owner I can't understand why you're getting so defensive about things, as the post I initially responded to wasn't even yours.

The poster said that Retina "is a standard of almost every screen we look at" - and that (alone) is what I responded to, because it's obviously not the case.

If you go to Google and type in standard computer screen resolution, does it mention Retina?

No, it says "1920x1080 also known as 1080p, is currently the standard screen resolution for modern computing"

• Isotoxin
    Isotoxin Member Posts: 198 Advisor

There is a reason why SOME mac computers shows fuzzy texts on high dpi screens. The reason for this - non integer scaling. You can fix/mitigate this issue if you want without any special tools.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,996 Expert
    edited September 3

@Owner

I do not say, that some Mac users with Retina may have not so sharp texts….

But all Win users cannot use looseless STEMs or generally ALAC. Way more users are affected by this than RETINA. So NI should fix this first as we both agree that sound is No.1. If RETINA comes after that I have no objections.

NI has already spent lots of resources to Apple Silicon transition, all for free to Mac users. Now, there is time to do something for Win ones. Do not you think?

If Mac user have paid for AS transition (for example NI could release new versions of its SW needing upgrade) I am sure, they would alredy have RETINA for few years. AS has cost lots of money, but no income. So, Mac users will have to wait a bit more to get RETINA support. I guess.