Issue with S88 MK3 with Logic when using alongside another Mackie Control Surface.

2»

Answers

• Mvrshan
    Mvrshan Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

Has this been solved? i have the same issue, i have kontrol s88 mk3. Kontrol standalone and Kontakt runs fine, im on logic 11.0.1, m1 max sonoma 14.5. I also run a Maschine mk3

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 11,830 mod

@Mvrshan Have you tried to set the keyboard to MIDI 1.0? Can you give more details on your issue, there were several people with slightly different issues. What other device/controller are you using? Only the s88 and the Maschine MK3? Is it the same if you use Komplete Kontrol in Logic?

If you close Logic, delete this file:

Macintosh HD/Users/Username/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic.pro.cs

Note: the User Library folder is hidden. To access it, click on Go in the menu bar and press down the Alt key. You'll now find the Library entry in the menu:

And then open Logic again, does it fix the issue?

• Martinrl
    Martinrl Member Posts: 6 Member

Sonoma 14.5

Logic Pro 11.0.1

Cubase 13.0.30.226

S88 plugged in via USB-C to host, with separate power brick for power.

1 - Launch Activity Monitor - make sure MidiServer process isn't pegged at 90+ %. If it's pegged, kill it, it will restart itself, it's a daemon

2 - Launch Logic Pro from Finder - no need for any existing project - choose 'Create a new project' and click OK

3 - MidiServer is pegged. LogicPro may become unresponsive. If it doesn't, try adding a Software Instrument track. Wait a few seconds, MidiServer will get pegged out. Quit Logic Pro - it may beachball.

4 - Kill MidiServer - Logic Pro stops beachballing / becomes responsive or may give Midi error

5 - Quit Logic Pro if it didn't already quit.

6 - Turn off S88 - Make sure MidServer is still OK, if not kill it.

7 - Launch Logic Pro from Finder

8 - Observe that Logic Pro doesn't stall and MidiServer doesn't peg out. Using a different Midi keyboard (Behringer DeepMind12 in my setup), I can successfully create and monitor a Kontakt 7 instrument track.

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓

@Martinrl It's a MK3 keyboard, right?

You contacted our support and their last message proposed the following (which fixed the issue for other users):

Please carry out the following steps: 

Check on the Kontrol Mk3 - Is the keyboard set to MIDI 1.0? If not change it on the keyboard itself in the hardware settings:

Select MIDI 1.0

• Power the keyboard off
    • Go to your mac's Audi & MIDI setup, found in Applications -> Utilities
    • In the Audio MIDI Setup app  on your Mac, choose Window > Show MIDI Studio.
    • Delete the entry for Komplete Kontrol MK3 by clicking the entry and using the delete key on your computer keyboard
    • Power the keyboard on again.

Does it then work as expected without causing issues? 

Have you tried that at all?

• Martinrl
    Martinrl Member Posts: 6 Member

YES!!! THAT WORKED! I believe I missed the step of powering off the unit before trying to remove it from the Midi Studio setup - you can't delete it if it's powered on.

The above instructions resolved my issue, thank you!

Is there any concern or feature that I won't be able to use in Midi 1.0 mode?

• Electromusicproject
    Electromusicproject Member Posts: 24 Member

any ideas for the s88 mk 2 ot working with mackie control surface. Shall I contact support for that. No option to set the keyboard to midi 1.0 but can delete the entry for s88 in audio midi setup and set logic to midi 1.0 I believe

• Jeremy_NI

This thread specifically mentioned the mk3 in the title. It's different on MK2, there's no MIDI 2.0 for a starter. I've created a dedicated post to avoid future confusion. Let's continue over there, thanks.

This discussion has been closed.