Issue with S88 MK3 with Logic when using alongside another Mackie Control Surface.

System
System Posts: 42 admin
edited 9:20AM in Komplete Kontrol
This discussion was created from comments split from: komplete kontrol mk3 crashing logic with Kontakt 7 (KT-8692).

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 11,830 mod
    Answer ✓

@Martinrl It's a MK3 keyboard, right?

You contacted our support and their last message proposed the following (which fixed the issue for other users):

Please carry out the following steps: 

Check on the Kontrol Mk3 - Is the keyboard set to MIDI 1.0? If not change it on the keyboard itself in the hardware settings:

Select MIDI 1.0

• Power the keyboard off
    • Go to your mac's Audi & MIDI setup, found in Applications -> Utilities
    • In the Audio MIDI Setup app  on your Mac, choose Window > Show MIDI Studio.
    • Delete the entry for Komplete Kontrol MK3 by clicking the entry and using the delete key on your computer keyboard
    • Power the keyboard on again.

Does it then work as expected without causing issues? 

Have you tried that at all?

Answers

• Thyme Traveler
    Thyme Traveler Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

I am experiencing an issue with the S88mk3 completely freezing Core MIDI systemwide when Logic is using the S88mk3 as a controller alongside another Mackie Control surface. When I say completely freezing, I mean that MIDIServer locks up (no MIDI systemwide), Audio MIDI Setup freezes, and Logic freezes. If I'm lucky I'll get a Logic or Audio MIDI Setup error message about Core MIDI, but usually everything is too frozen even for that. This happens even in a single-track Logic project.

If I restart the system and disable the KONTROL S88 MK3 MIDI Controller in Logic (no DAW control), the freeze does not occur. However, the S88 quickly loses track of which instance of Kontrol is active, does not update the interface or the light guide, ends up with a black screen, and pretty much breaks the whole user experience.

I have reset the com.apple.logic.pro.cs file. If I add the KONTROL S88 MK3 MIDI Controller by itself, Logic and the Kontrol workflow seems to work okay, at least for a while, but as soon as I add back in my (very much needed) Mackie Control surface, everything freezes just as before.

For now the only way I can use Logic is to disable the S88 DAW control and KONTROL S88 MK3 MIDI Controller in Logic. But in doing so, my whole workflow is broken.

Is this related to the issues reported in this thread, or is this a different problem altogether? Kontakt does not have to be involved for the problem to occur.

macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, Logic Pro 10.8.1, S88mk3 firmware 1.5.7, Komplete Kontrol v3.2.1, Kontakt 7.9.0.

• Jeremy_NI

@Thyme Traveler I've created a new thread as the issue seems different that the already known bug from the thread where you posted in.

What Mackie Control device is it? So that we can try to reproduce the issue. Are there any other special settings regarding MIDI in Logic?

If you check on the keyboard itself, in the hardware settings

Does it show MIDI 1.0 or MIDI 2.0?

If it is set to MIDI 2.0, please try to put it to MIDI 1.0, then before switching the keyboard on again, delete the Kontrol 3 entry in your Audio MIDI Setup.

Does it change anything?

• Thyme Traveler
    Thyme Traveler Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

Switching to MIDI 1.0 (both on Logic and S88) seems to have quelled ths issue. When will MIDI 2.0 work properly?

• BIGUGLY
    BIGUGLY Member Posts: 7 Newcomer

I am having the same issue using an S61. I have tried going to midi 1.0 but that does not fix the issue. It seems to have something to do with Hardware Connection services when installed but not sure. As of right now I can not use my new S61 contoller :)

• BIGUGLY

Oh also this was a fresh install on a new Mac Studio running Sonoma and the current latest version of Logic Pro. I also updated my Kontrol S61 to the latest firmware version.

• BIGUGLY

Okay so I have done some more investigating and it seems that if I uninstall the Hardware Connection Services then the Coremidi error goes away and I can use the midi Kontroller. Unfortunately I now don't have access to using my S61 screen to use for browsing sound libraries.

• BIGUGLY

So it seems like if I uninstall and reinstall Hardware Connection Services and don't allow Logic to auto assign the S61 as a controller then I can use the S61 for browsing and entering midi notes. Once I add the S61 as a Daw Controller then everything locks up and I get the CoreMidi error and I have to force quite Logic and then after that nothing will load

I hope someone can tell me how to fix this, its a bummer not being able to use the full functionality of this expensive keyboard

• Jeremy_NI

@BIGUGLY What about Komplete Kontrol or Kontakt when in standalone? Is everything functional there?

When the issue arises in Logic, are you using the Kontakt 7 plug-in or the Komplete Kontrol plug-in? There's a current issue with Kontakt 7 crashing when used in Logic with the Kontrol MK3 keyboard. The workaround is to use the Komplete Kontrol plug-in at the moment.

• BIGUGLY

The Coremidi error happens when I install the Hardware Connection Service for the S61 currently I have it uninstalled. When I do install it and Logic adds the keyboard as a controller for Logic that is when I get the CoreMidi error and then Logic will not load and just hangs

• BIGUGLY

I have not had any issues with Komplete Kontrol or Kontak 7 other than they don't load on my S61 screen when I select the Channel. Browsing works as well as I can record midi as long as I don't add the S61 as a Daw controller to Logic

• Jeremy_NI
    edited May 14

@BIGUGLY The Hardware Connection Service is absolutely necessary. Make sure to give full disk access to the Hardware Connection Service, Logic and Komplete Kontrol: How to Enable Full Disk Access on macOS

It is also very important for troubleshooting to try the keyboard with Komplete Kontrol in standalone. You didn't say if it was working as expected.

If none of this helped, please get in touch with our Komplete Kontrol support agents here, so they can see what's going wrong on your system: https://bit.ly/NI_support_Kontrol

• Martinrl
    Martinrl Member Posts: 6 Member

Has this been resolved? I believe I am having the same issue

• Martinrl

My S88 is useless at this point. The same issue occurs in both Logic Pro and Cubase.

• Martinrl

If I turn off my S88 and use the my Behringer keyboard, I have zero problems in either DAW. The problem is clearly due to some bad integration of the NI Software.

• Jeremy_NI

@Martinrl Well, could you describe your issue a little bit more? There were 2 different users with slightly different symptoms. What's your operating system? What version of Logic? What version of Cubase? If you run Komplete Kontrol or Kontakt in standalone, is everything functional? Can you describe step by step what's happening?

This discussion has been closed.