Lastest version of Komplete Kontrol will Crash Mac Sonoma 14.3.1

Options
Ryan Knaggs
Ryan Knaggs Member Posts: 4 Newcomer
edited March 9 in Komplete Kontrol

I have a new Mac Studio M2 Ultra 192GiG 2TB SSD 60 Core GPU. I installed the latest update of Komplete Kontrol on 3/6/2024. Sorry I can't the version because it will crash the Mac SO HARD the machine reboots every single time. So I provided the date (3/6/2024).

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app, but after the application has fully launched after loading all the VST3 plugins, the machine freezes and reboots. There is no other way around it that I can find.

I want to report this bug to NI to let them know.

Ryan

Best Answer

• Ryan Knaggs
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi, Sorry no I don't have a crash report, because the machine freezes and reboots instantly when I run Komplete Kontrol . To make sure it is not something else, I've decided to wipe my machine complete clean (Factory default settings) and re-install the OS 14.4 and then install Komplete Kontrol. I want to give this software a fair shot. I have my new setup backed up on time machine so if they problem persists I can always revert without losing my setup. I'll play around with it for a while before I come back to give my analysis.

Ryan.

Answers

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,792 mod
    edited March 7
    Options

I’m on M1 Max and not seeing this so unless there is something different about M2 Ultra (and there shouldn’t be) it might be more something specific to your system than a KK bug, perhaps a misbehaving plugin during scan?

• Ryan Knaggs
    Options

Hi Kymela,

Thank you for answering this question. The problem is fixed. There must have been some old unsupported or corrupt file(s) that where causing the problem. It is recommended to fully uninstall the application and re-install. I will share with others what I did to get this to work.

1) First of all, try not to migrate a Intel Mac to a new M2 Mac. Doing so will bring over older apps and plug-ins that may or may not work (Between Intel processors and Apple Native Silicon). I recommend only to re-install all applications "one by one" from scratch to avoid any weird behavior.

2) If you have a similar problem where Komplete Kontrol is crashing your mac, then goto the Native Instruments installation utility for your new M2 computer and review the un-installation instructions on how to un-install komplete kontrol (Located next to the application listing where you will see " ... ", click the 3 dots and read how to un-install Komplete Kontrol). When reading the un-install instructions, there are many places you will be instructed on where to delete files and folders. Make sure you delete all files and folders that the instructions ask you to do.

3) Further more, If you can a clean up utility such as Clean My Mac X, then run this utility as well. This is a nice way to git rid of any other weird files that may exist in cache.

4) Reboot your Mac. This is highly recommended to make sure nothing is still running in RAM.

5) Re-install Komplete Kontrol from the NI installation utility.

6) Optional but recommended, Re-Boot your Mac one more time, just to be sure.

7) Goto the Applications folder and launch Komplete Kontrol and wait for the application to scan for all your plug-ins and other setup processes.

After these steps, You Mac should not crash and Reboot.

Thanks,

Ryan.

• Ryan Knaggs
    Options

Hello everyone,

I'm back. The same problem is occurring again. I was a little hasty with my previous response. Yes, after I performed all the un-installations for Komplete Kontrol and re-installed it again, it worked for a while, then the problem started again. I didn't add anything new, I was just using it and it "Crashed and Rebooted" my Mac Studio.

So after performing a clean-up and re-installation process from the previous message and having this happen again, I'm going to officially letting everyone know including Native Instruments that Komplete Kontrol has a serious bug with their application. Further more, Applications should only crash by a simple exit of the application NOT crash and reboot your computer.

Ryan.

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 876 mod
    Options

We've just shipped official support for macOS 14 - so either you're not on the latest version, or you are and you've encountered a new bug.

We haven't heard any other reports of this crash, yet. But that doesn't necessarily mean it's unique to you.

To go further:

• Do you have a crash report or log generated that you could share?
    • What content were you using in KK when it crashed?
    • Did you have hardware connected? If so, what hardware?
  • Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,797 mod
    Options

@Ryan Knaggs I'm contacting you by email regarding this, we need to have a deeper look.

• Ryan Knaggs
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi, Sorry no I don't have a crash report, because the machine freezes and reboots instantly when I run Komplete Kontrol . To make sure it is not something else, I've decided to wipe my machine complete clean (Factory default settings) and re-install the OS 14.4 and then install Komplete Kontrol. I want to give this software a fair shot. I have my new setup backed up on time machine so if they problem persists I can always revert without losing my setup. I'll play around with it for a while before I come back to give my analysis.

Ryan.

• hook
    hook Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

Just wading in here with the exact same problem. This is a fresh M3 MBP. S88 mk3 controller attached. Every time I launch Komplete Kontrol the entire system instantly reboots. I'm now in the process of updating to Sonoma 14.4 in case this is an issue with 14.3.x and will report back.

I've done all the normal trouble shooting but have stopped at doing a full reinstall of the OS or KK.

• hook
    hook Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

Quick update here -- installed 14.4, and it no longer crashes (as of yet). Will report back if it starts crashing again.

• Tanta.rt
    Tanta.rt Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

Hi all,

I was hoping I wasn't the only one... I also just bought myself the newest Macbook Pro M3 MAX.

I am currently using the Sonoma 14.4. so i'm hqppy for @hook if the crashing stopped for him...

Surprisingly, from times to times Komplete Kontrol just doesn't work. For me, it suddenly loses all library besides from a few instruments. From that point, when opening Komplete Kontrol or Kontakt 7, 3 times out of 10, it crashes and immediately reboots my computer.

The missing instruments in Komplete Kontrol do appear when I open Kontakt so I don't understand.

Really randomly, Komplete Kontrol starts working again after a few days with the whole library appearing.

I really don't like this. And after reading on internet, this Komplete Kontrol bug has been here for a few years. Maybe not the crashing and shutting down but the dissappearing of Komplete Kontrol library and the different steps to resolve this. Unfortunately, above that, some of us see our computers crash, and don't have the library available anymore, even after doing what is reckoned. This could be very worrying if we have sets to prepare!

I tried everything found on here and i'm angry and frustrated. I really don't like the simple fact that opening Kontakt 7 or Komplete Kontrol shuts down and reboots an M3 MAX chip, it doesn't make sense... it's not a 10€ plugin....

Still, thank you so much for the amazing products above-all. I hope you can troubleshoot this Komplete Kontrol bug and resolve it soon.

• epiano
    epiano Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Hello,

I have the same problem on my Macbook pro M2 16 core 16GB 512 HDD. (Sonoma)

I have M32 and it worked right when instaled Komplete Kontrol - control surface in Logic 10.8 looked fine etc.

Software worked unstable, Komplete Kontrol crashed (reboot) my system three or four times - also standalone and plugin in LPX 10.8.

Now standakone is not opening at all, and also doesn't work in Logic.

Please help - this is my brand new, wonderfull gear that I purchased and dream of a working system :):)

Please help.

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

@epiano Is it a M2 Max, Pro or Ultra? We've seen more reports of these Kernel Panics, as you can see here: Kontakt 7 window across multiple screens causing Kernel panic shutoff on Mac Studio! (KT-8785)

Please check the accepted answer of this post and contact support with the answers to our little questionnaire, the direct link is also in the post.

• epiano
    Options

Thanks Jeremy - I have M2 Pro

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

@epiano Then please get in touch with support with the following information:

we are aware of this issue and are investigating it. In order to reproduce the issue as well as gathering all the necessary information so we can add to our report to Apple in the most efficient way, we would need you to submit a support request here: https://bit.ly/NI_support_kontakt

Please put Kernel Panic with Kontakt 7 or the bug number (KT-8785) as the title and include the following information:

• What processor do you have? M1/M2/M3, what type? Standard, Max, Pro, Ultra, etc…
    • What kind of computer? Laptop, iMac, Mini, Studio, etc…
    • What is your operating system? in this format: 14.4.1
    • In what OS version this started to happen?
    • In what DAWs is this happening?
    • Can you reproduce the issue when your DAW is in Rosetta mode?
    • Can you reproduce the issue with Kontakt in standalone?
    • Can you reproduce the issue with the Guitar Rig 7 or the Komplete Kontrol 3xx as plug-ins? In standalone?
    • What monitors do you have and how many? Brand, model
    • Are you able to reproduce the issue without an external device? (where possible)
    • Can you briefly describe the steps to reproduce the crash? 

• epiano
    Options

Thanks Jeremy, I did as you say. But I'm not sure if this is right place, because I have kontakt 6.8

• Jeremy_NI
    edited April 25
    Options

@epiano Yes but we also saw cases with similar crashes with Komplete Kontrol 3xx, it has some common graphic features with Kontakt 7. Thanks for sending the info.