Owning Ultimate pack through the S88 Select + upgrade. Why am I offered an "upgrade" to Standard?

Options
george111
george111 Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
Hi,

Recently purchased the latest S88 which came with the Select 14 bundle. An upgrade serial took my NI account to Ultimate 14 pack level. Still, going into NI's "offers", I get an upgrade to both Collectors and Standard options. Why am I offered a (non-sensical) upgrade to Standard since I'm already on Ultimate, is there a reason for this?

thanks!

Comments

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 2,918 mod
    edited February 18
    Options

I myself upgraded from Standard to the top tier Collectors edition instead of choosing the Ultimate version and I am still offered an upgrade to lower tier Ultimate.

Looks as if it is a system response to the fact that there are one more possible upgrade path from your Select , that to Standard (like mine to Ultimate) , that you did not choose , and at the same time there is a real upgrade path for you to Collectors from your Ultimate !

• Ojustaboo
    Ojustaboo Member Posts: 198 Advisor
    Options

I have collectors edition, over the years I have added various hardware like Maschine mikro, then Machine Mk3, S61 mk1 and mk2, s88 mk3.

When/if you sell your hardware, the new purchaser gets to download and own the software, now you also get to keep it too.

I’ve also bought a few standalone bits of software.

Hence while I own the collectors edition, I still own select versions from other stuff I’ve bought.

I’ve currently got an offer to upgrade to standard

• george111
    george111 Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options
    > @Ojustaboo said:
    > I have collectors edition, over the years I have added various hardware like Maschine mikro, then Machine Mk3, S61 mk1 and mk2, s88 mk3.
    > When/if you sell your hardware, the new purchaser gets to download and own the software, now you also get to keep it too.
    > I’ve also bought a few standalone bits of software.
    > Hence while I own the collectors edition, I still own select versions from other stuff I’ve bought.
    > I’ve currently got an offer to upgrade to standard

Interesting, so if I sell the S88, I still get to keep the Select + Ultimate Upgrade on the PC that's already installed on, but stop being able to set it up on a new one, or would the entitlement remain attached to the account?
    Also, what's transferable license: the one you purchase outright or/and the ones that come with a hardware item? thx
  • Mark Oxley
    Mark Oxley Member Posts: 147 Advisor
    edited February 19
    Options

The way I understand it is you can transfer the komplete select tied to the qualifying hardware but any upgrades you have added whilst owning that hardware will remain yours and can still be used even after the hardware has changed hands unless you sell and transfer the upgrade too.

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 2,918 mod
    edited February 19
    Options

For what is considered the base software for the product like e.g. Komplete Select for the Kontrol S Series keyboards , then seller retain the license for the base software (as it is base for later upgrades) while buyer is also given a base software license to add upgrades (N.I. being able to sell upgrades to both seller and buyer).

If you buy something on offer that is bundled with something that is not considered base software then you may not be able to sell or transfer the license for that 'software supplement' , and also there seem to be a lot discrepancies if you read more posts on the subject because of an 'updated license system' so it is possible that at least previously then some software bundled with the keyboard either were non-transferable or went with the keyboard when you sold it (I am seriously confused myself here).

Most important is to always read the rules and fine print when you buy something especially if bundled with software. and then later if in doubt after reading support articles and sales 'fine print' then contact customer service and ask them. Customer service have the final say anyway !

Quote Kubrak :

Generally one may resell Licences bought separately and not resell Licences bundled with hardware or given for free or marked NFR.

Also , quote Jeremy_NI :

This was the answer from our support, I'm copying it here, I hope if it's ok with you <user name omitted here>

We recently updated our license system. The software supplements of the hardware will remain valid in your account.

We only transfer the hardware serial of the product and the next user will get new software serials once transferred. 

So, you can transfer your S61 without losing anything!

Buying or Selling a Native Instruments Product Second-Hand : https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/210288845-Buying-or-Selling-a-Native-Instruments-Product-Second-Hand

Common Questions About Updating or Upgrading a KOMPLETE Bundle : https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003718289-Common-Questions-About-Updating-or-Upgrading-a-KOMPLETE-Bundle