How do I Rip vinyl directly in Audacity with an AUDIO 8 DJ?

Options

I've looked all over the internet & in the forums and can't find anything specific to my issue.

Up until now I've always recorded vinyl within Traktor with the built in Audio Recorder.It works, however, even with the gain level set to Maximum the recordings are very quiet.

I import the WAV in to Audacity, and edit from there to increase the volume.

Is this the best way to rip vinyl or is it better to record from within Audacity instead? Would it be a better quality rip or make no difference?

At the moment I have RCA leads from a recording port on the back of my A&H Xone92 in to Channel D input on the Audio 8, which works fine for recording in Traktor(albeit quiet).

I've tried setting up the Audio 8 in Audacity within Devices. The host is set as Core Audio, and the Playback and Recording devices as Audio 8, however when I try to record there is no waveform at all !

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Do I need to change the configuration of cables?

Thanks in advance for your help

Answers

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,434 Expert
    Options

I think there is a hardware mod for the xone 92 to give the pre-amp more power.

I don't think there is much of a quality improvement from recording in traktor or directly in audacity.

But I bet audacity is not recording from the right channels. You have the select the ones where the audio from the xone goes into the audio 8.

I don't know how it look on mac os, but here it looks something like this:

• OttersPocket
    OttersPocket Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

Thanks for getting back to me. I don't really want to go opening up the Xone92 just to get a decent level recording. Seems a step to far. But thanks for the suggestion.

Audacity is recording from the right channels. See below. Just not getting anything when I press record.

So as far you know there will be no improvement in quality recording directly in to Audacity than recording within Traktor and editing in Audacity?