Overdub and erase all notes

Options
Don1990
Don1990 Member Posts: 67 Member

Hey guys,

Is there a way to just overdub without hearing the old notes? Whenever I record something, I have to press STOP then SHIFT+UNDO or SHIFT+CLEAR. Then press SHIFT+RECORD again.

I know you can do SHIFT+ERASE+RECORD, but whever I play new notes in, the old notes are still audible which messes up my recording when playing the notes in live...

The first method is too many steps, which could be implemented with pretty much one dedicated button for this. The second method (SHIFT+ERASE+RECORD) is also a little bit annoying, to be having to press all 3 buttons at once.

Tagged:

Comments

• tetsuneko
    tetsuneko Member Posts: 610 Guru
    Options

I just press SHIFT + UNDO to clear out a bum take/pass during recording. This clears out whatever I recorded last, but still keeps recording enabled so I can immediately try again without stopping

• Don1990
    Options

Well I do the same like I said in my first post, but you have to wait till the pattern finishes. I want it to start over with count-in. If you do it your way, you often get notes recorded at the end of the pattern instead of on the first bar. Which isn't a HUGE deal of course, you can always nudge the notes but still.

Not sure if you are familiar with Ableton, but Ableton has the fastest workflow when it comes to this. All you have to do is is press STOP, and RECORD again. It makes a new clip (pattern that would be in Maschine) so you can do 20 takes without stopping for example and then afterwards see which of the patterns you recorded you like most and keep that.

• tetsuneko
    edited January 20
    Options

I never press stop when recording, I've been realtimne recording into loops for decades.

Pressing stop for me kills the flow. It is among the top reasons why I sold my vintage MPC's - too many functions required stopping playback

I'm very famialiar with Ableton (used it for almost two decades now), I never press stop in Ableton either 😹

• Don1990
    Options

Hahah, well to each their own of course! Buttt

I'm very famialiar with Ableton (used it for almost two decades now), I never press stop in Ableton either 😹

This is exactly my point. I don't stop in Ableton either, because it creates separate clips each time the loop repeats. This is super useful, because you can either merge the clips (patterns in Maschine), keep just the clip/pattern you like, etc.

But all good though, I might just need to get used to not stopping in Maschine and it's workflow 😛

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    Options

I do it the same way @tetsuneko does, altho occasionally I do prefer to fully stop and start over with count in, hard to explain in what scenarios.

Alternatively you can just keep recording a huge pattern and then use Pattern Start and Length parameters to select just the best part.

• Don1990
    Options

Alternatively you can just keep recording a huge pattern and then use Pattern Start and Length parameters to select just the best part.

Good one indeed! Is there a way to easily trim just the part of the pattern that you selected, so that everything else is deleted and just the good part is left?

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    Options

Unfortunately no. There is no MIDI "Crop", the only way would be to select the best part and paste it to a new Pattern. :(

• Don1990
    Options

What a shame :( but thanks, that'll work for now!

• tetsuneko
    edited January 22
    Options

Yeah, I also do that alot in Ableton, but trimming the bit I want to keep from a longer take in Maschine+ standalone feels too clunky so I'd rather get it right in the loop when I'm on M+

I can also understand why you'd want to stop and restart with a count in.. but I'm not too fussed about where the first downbeat is, I'll just make sure what I got loops OK, then I nudge the first downbeat into place later

• Don1990
    Options

Got you, thanks!