Komplete Kontrol & MK3 Feedback Continued...

Options

Comments

• BIF
    BIF Member Posts: 633 Pro
    Options

I agree. And for devs to be successful, they need time to see things through to conclusion. An author doesn't have to write every verse and chorus in the sequence it appears in the song. But he/she DOES have to finish each one or else there won't be a song to play; all we'll have is a TV show theme song or an advertising jingle, lol.

• johnhlz
    johnhlz Member Posts: 26 Member
    Options

I honestly just want to be able to use it...

Close the plug in and the DAW crashes...

There are tons of other individuals with the same issue making our product completely useless for the purposes we all purchased them for: DAW integration and navigation of NI instruments and sounds.

That's my feedback. Allow my return please. I've had my product for two months and have not been able to use it the way advertised.

• MyStudioOne
    MyStudioOne Member Posts: 255 Pro
    Options

Sorry to hear about your terrible experience. I am assuming you mean the MK3? May I ask which DAW you are talking about?

• johnhlz
    Options

Yes, the S Series S49 MK3 purchased with the Komplete 14 Ultimate package. I am using Ableton 11 Suite. They've scanned, we've changed from gaming drivers to studio drivers, I wiped my computer twice, made sure my specs were still valid, looked at every video that is available on KK and the MK3 and Ableton. Its been back and forth since I got it after I tried everything on my own to solve my own problem.

I want to love NI. But this was my first purchase and quickly after a Maschine MK3 and I want it to work but Im sitting here with a 1300 dollar midi 49 key midi controller that is unusable for any of the advertised features within my DAW. No one would even buy this used as I am now seeing everyone is having similar problems. So I'm stuck with a brick because you cant return.

KK standalone- works as it should in Ableton.

KK in Ableton- Komplete Lack of Kontrol

• johnhlz
    Options

Another suggestion would be the way you handle customers when there is a known problem.

It would be something if they just said. Hey- Customer we see there are issues with the MK3 controller and we are working on a fix- our team is expecting to have a solution by x date. In the mean time here is something nice from us to you so you don't sit steaming mad you cant use your device sitting on your desk for a month waiting for service to get back to you with have you updated your drivers or read our support page in an endless circle.

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 915 mod
    Options

@johnhlz

What OS and computer are you on?

Do you have the latest versions of Ableton, Komplete Kontrol, Kontakt 7 (if owned), NI Hardware Connection Service, and Kontrol S MK3 firmware installed?

Ableton is fully supported, and KK should not be crashing. If that was affecting all users, we'd be besieged by thousands of support requests, so there's likely something about your system I want to help diagnose.

It would also be good to know if you've talked to our support team yet.

• johnhlz
    Options

Windows. NI service has scanned my computer, weve checked drivers, versions, histories, Ive wiped my computer. Nothing gets it to function- the current version spikes my GPU and crashes ableton. Its the only plugin- NI or not that does this.

The only thing that worked and the solution was found today was to downgrade to 3.0.3. Now I have functionality in the keyboard and it doesnt kill my DAW.

Im reading tons of similar experiences in the forums trying to figure it out why its crashing when the plug in is being closed. Plenty of people are in these forums complaining about KK crashing.

Ive been talking with the support team for a month now with slow step by step responses that have caused me to go crazy as I bought this and took time off to spend with my son learning it and the entire time we werent able to use it.

I cant explain how frustrating the customer support is. 24-48 hour response times with questions like, have you updated your driver or read this article....for me to respond yes what next and wait another 24-48 hours for another question like have you updated your ableton...

I suggest if you wont provide fast and quick service to problems that you at least have a member or a paid service option because I sat here a whole month just to be like...try a previous version...

• BIF
    BIF Member Posts: 633 Pro
    Options

Come on now, @johnhlz . "A whole month" was a month with major holidays in it. It's not like the holidays were decided on like a rave party only 2 hours before they happened. Guess what, Christmas this year is on December 25th! And guess what? People will start going on vacation right around December 10th. And some will leave for the US Thanksgiving holiday in November, and you might not see them until the 2nd week in January!

Yeah, I'm a brand new fortuneteller! 😉

People take vacations in December, and the remaining teams have to do the best they can with fewer people.

Yeah, the launch was a dud. But it is what it is. And @Matthew_NI has pretty good instincts. If he says it's something on your system, he's probably right. Give him a chance to work through it with you. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 915 mod
    Options

@johnhlz if you PM me the email address you used to talk to support, I'll catch up with with the conversation, and we can go from there.

@BIF is right, we've had Thanksgiving, Hannukah, Christmas, New Years and other holidays celebrated by our staff a few days here and there, and even some cases disruption due to war in Europe and the Middle East. Added to which the holiday sales have been very busy, and our support team is doing their best to stay current. However, that doesn't make your situation any less frustrating, so I want to try and help you out.

In the meantime, please check you're using Ableton 11.3.11 or higher.

• j0tt
    j0tt Member Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Just to reiterate my comment from the previous thread:

• The modal browser in KK3 is also unusable for me. I often use KK in standalone mode to browse presets, but the new version requires switching back and forth, disrupting my workflow and immersion. I understand that this design might mirror the state on the MK2/3, where you either browse or play. However, applying this paradigm to the desktop version seems misguided to me.
    • On my desk, I have an M32, which currently seems incompatible with KK 3.1.0 on both Windows 10 (22H2) and macOS (14.2.1). The "Browser" button doesn't switch to browser mode, nor does the "Plug-In" button switch to the plug-in from browser mode. Even when manually switched, the jog wheel fails to navigate the presets properly. It's unclear which option is selected when looking at the screen (not the small M32 display), and it's also impossible to tell which options are available or what comes next. This appears to be a significant limitation for M32 users.

I've rolled back to KK2 for now and hope that those issues will be addressed. In particular, I hope to receive confirmation from @Matthew_NI that making the browser always visible will be added to the backlog, at least as an option.

As @BIF more or less said, and I mentioned also before, I really hope the transition to Qt will enable the team to enhance their velocity, leading to a more effective burn down of the backlog.

Thank you!

• bzone
    bzone Member Posts: 38 Member
    Options

With Pro Tools 23.12 the mk3 just doesn’t work on Mac 7.1 with OS Ventura. All good in Logic. Two many issues.

• Pat Erns
    Pat Erns Member Posts: 17 Member
    Options

I can tell you that in order to get to the bottom of this issue, I purchased downloaded Bitwig to test it in there and it has been running fine for two weeks now. From what I can tell it is more of an Ableton problem.... Also, Bitwig hosts plugins in such a way that even if they do crash, it doesn't crash Bitwig so you can almost always know whether it is the plugin failing or Bitwig... I'm not saying this to stir controversy between DAWs but in order to defend Native Instruments.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,639 Expert
    Options

Problem with this tho, NI list Ableton as a supported DAW, it HAS been supported and tested/working for a decade so one expects continued testing and assurance it will still work.

Some things may be Ableton specific, but the other thing is previous KK 2.9 does not crash Live as far as I know.

• MyStudioOne
    MyStudioOne Member Posts: 255 Pro
    Options

I understand that this design might mirror the state on the MK2/3, where you either browse or play. However, applying this paradigm to the desktop version seems misguided to me.

Thing is, I "think" the on-device screen browsing experience in 3.0 is at least similar to 2.9.

But I always looked at the PC screen version of KK as the more full featured big brother version and for obvious reasons. A willingness to look up from the keyboard never felt like an inconvenience to me since a far bigger screen brought far more options which I used ALWAYS. Perhaps the most noticeable (and now most missed by most of us) option being the side by side browsing and plugin windows which also afforded drag and drop loading of multi's. Without this, 3.0 on my 4k PC monitor feels more like just a larger version of the keyboard screen.

Not only that, it seems that the only way to create a multi in KK3.0 is by dragging and dropping instruments from the Kontakt side panel. And it seems not possible from the KK preset browser side?

I think I recall @Matthew_NI saying in Vagus's original thread that NI's data shows that most people prefer to use the on device screen and so they prioritized that in the new platform. Not meaning to put words in your mouth, Matthew, and so correct me if I am wrong.

But to date, I don't recall you saying whether side by side browsing is coming back despite that being perhaps by far the single biggest complaint about 3.0. Could you kindly clarify this? This particular change in functionality (along with instability) is what keeps me rolling back to 2.9 again and again.

Just as a side note:

A far less talked about feature which I hope for is a more flexible midi mode configurator. It was downgraded from the MK1 to the MK2. I know the KK app midi config button is missing for MK3 users and that it is in the pipeline. But the question is, is custom midi configuration going to be better? Does the data also say that too few users like to create templates and so you can't justify the resources required to develop this feature more fully?