HELP pls! Track Collection messed up - are the tag-infos written into the music-files?

Options
The Sarge
The Sarge Member Posts: 125 Helper

Hi,

something went totally wrong be resorting (by me, not by software) and I´m driving mad

so is it safe to delete collection and having all the infos like BPM, Key, Rating, Comments etc back inside Traktor? or do I have to do more than only re-import all tracks?

it seems that this would be the fastest way, but totally unsure so I ask you for help/giving the "okay" that those infos written in the music-files

thanks as always for every helpful tips & tricks

The Sarge!

Tagged:

Best Answer

• c0nsul
    c0nsul Member Posts: 298 Pro
    edited August 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

It depends how and with which software you tagged the songs if the tags are written into the files.

In Traktor you have to set it in preferences.

BUT, you can easily restore your Traktor collection by using its backup-folder.

Don´t know which OS you are using? I'm on Mac but it works similar on Win:

On macOS make sure Traktor is closed and go to user -> documents -> Native Instruments -> Traktor 3.x -> Backup -> Collection.

Look for the dates (before you messed up 😉) and copy that file into user -> documents -> Native Instruments -> Traktor 3.x .

Delete the faulty collection.nml in that folder and then change the name of the copied .nml-file to "collection.nml" (just delete the "date tag" in the file name).

Now start Traktor and it should load your whole collection in the state of the date of the backup. Make sure to run a Consistency Check of your collection after this to see, if tracks were deleted, have to be relocated or re-analyzed.

Answers

• c0nsul
    c0nsul Member Posts: 298 Pro
    edited August 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

It depends how and with which software you tagged the songs if the tags are written into the files.

In Traktor you have to set it in preferences.

BUT, you can easily restore your Traktor collection by using its backup-folder.

Don´t know which OS you are using? I'm on Mac but it works similar on Win:

On macOS make sure Traktor is closed and go to user -> documents -> Native Instruments -> Traktor 3.x -> Backup -> Collection.

Look for the dates (before you messed up 😉) and copy that file into user -> documents -> Native Instruments -> Traktor 3.x .

Delete the faulty collection.nml in that folder and then change the name of the copied .nml-file to "collection.nml" (just delete the "date tag" in the file name).

Now start Traktor and it should load your whole collection in the state of the date of the backup. Make sure to run a Consistency Check of your collection after this to see, if tracks were deleted, have to be relocated or re-analyzed.

• The Sarge
    The Sarge Member Posts: 125 Helper
    Options

"It depends how and with which software you tagged the songs" -> luckily I did it with Traktor and it was set like on your screenshot.

And yes, your tip worked great, now I can continue directly with the organization of my collection 🤩

Jan, thank you very much 👍️