After updating the firmware, Maschine studio stopped working

Options
Balpharoge
Balpharoge Member Posts: 8 Newcomer

I updated firmware on My Maschine studio. For the first time it turned on and worked without any issues, but after i turned it off, i was not able to turn it on again. Disassembled my Studio and checked the power and power source and does not find any problems with it. It seems that the problem have a program root. Did you find any means to fix that?

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,737 mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Balpharoge If the unit does not light at all, it's definitely a hardware failure. As mentioned in another post, check USB cables, USB connections and sockets. Check on another computer, if it does not light up as well, it's definitely a hardware failure and you should get in touch with our hardware department here: https://bit.ly/NISupport_Hardware

• Balpharoge
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hey, let me tell how it all ends. I wrote to the support, but they was not able to help me. So i just went and bought the same working unit. Earlier i disassembled a not working unit, and located two FLASH memory chips on motherboard. SInce circumstances of the brake showed, that this was 95 % a firmware error, i decided to take copies of data from these chips of the working unit, and transfer it onto not working unit. AND IT TOTALLY WORKED. So i was right in that this was cause by damaged firmware. By the way, it was an extremely easy repair, at least if you now what chip programming is. The main hurdle was acquiring these memory copies.

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,306 Expert
    Options

Is it completely off or just not working with Maschine software? (AKA are the screens showing something or completely off?)

• Balpharoge
    Options

@LostInFoundation

Completly off. PC did not recognize it.

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,095 mod
    Options

Hello,

if you use windows can you check the device manager, if there is an entry with an exclamation mark or something. But if maschine is totally dead and the power supply is ok then you have to contact support and maybe send it in for a repair. You could maybe try, just for research, to press and hold browse/sampling/arrow left/arrow right, then power on maschine, this normally brings maschine studio into Vegas mode and you should see a light show. But I fear that will not work if even the screens are not showing anything if you power it on now.

• LostInFoundation
    Options

Trying vegas mode is a good suggestion to see if it is at least powering, since it should bypass any program (no need to controller mode nor midi mode for this).

But if the power was flowing thru, the screens should show something anyway, as we said

• Balpharoge
    Options

Vegas mode, as expected, did not worked. But i still think it is programming issue, due to Maschine being physically whole, and because it was working for the first launch. Seems that after i turned it off, by some reason firmware damaged and device bricked. Maybe directly reprogramming flash memory might work, but i need BIN files of the firmware for that, and i am not sure that support will give it to me. Sadly, i do not have official NI workshops in my country.

• Balpharoge
    Options

By the way, i surfed the net, and it seems that this is fairy common problem. But i was not able to find a single way to fix this.

• LostInFoundation
    Options

…which sounds quite bad. Hope your device is not permanently ruined

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,095 mod
    Options

only option is then, unfortunately, to send it in but depending on your country it can be expansive to send it to germany or what's the nearest native repair shop.

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Balpharoge If the unit does not light at all, it's definitely a hardware failure. As mentioned in another post, check USB cables, USB connections and sockets. Check on another computer, if it does not light up as well, it's definitely a hardware failure and you should get in touch with our hardware department here: https://bit.ly/NISupport_Hardware

• Balpharoge
    Options

@Jeremy_NI

not necessary (?). I do not now know how it works with Maschine, but if you heavy damage or delete BIOS on PC, it would not start at all, even coolers and power indicators.

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

@Balpharoge Have you tried on another computer or not? That would rule out any software issue. And also, if the device does not light up, it is most probably a hardware failure.

• Balpharoge
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hey, let me tell how it all ends. I wrote to the support, but they was not able to help me. So i just went and bought the same working unit. Earlier i disassembled a not working unit, and located two FLASH memory chips on motherboard. SInce circumstances of the brake showed, that this was 95 % a firmware error, i decided to take copies of data from these chips of the working unit, and transfer it onto not working unit. AND IT TOTALLY WORKED. So i was right in that this was cause by damaged firmware. By the way, it was an extremely easy repair, at least if you now what chip programming is. The main hurdle was acquiring these memory copies.

• Balpharoge
    Options

I wanted to take photo of these chips, but i remembered about it only after reassembling everything