What is the max number of parameters Reaktor can have? 1000?

Options
Infrabass
Infrabass Member Posts: 39 Member

Hi everyone,

I wonder how many parameters with automation abilities Reaktor can have.

In Reaper, with Reaktor 6.5 it seems to be 1000.

In fact, I see a lot more in Reaper's FX wrapper but above 1000 it concerns MIDI (128 midi commands x 16 channels).

For example, if I try to set a knob automation ID to 1001 it won't be accessible by Reaper.

Any way to work around this limitation?

Thank you!

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,737 mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hey all, I can confirm. It is a limitation of Reaktor 6, there are only 1000 accessible automation IDs.

Answers

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,363 mod
    Options

Theoretically the number can be infinite, but i don't think Reaktor allows more that 9999, by design.

Still this is an extremely huge number and totally unpractical. If fact even the most complex instruments do not use more than 200-300.

However in few cases i have seen much larger numbers and the largest one i know is a sequenced instrument ensemble called THE WRAITH.

It has a Max ID in use, up to 5453!

However, after doing a Short and Compress IDs, the actual number of used parameters is going down to 890, which still is the highest number I've even seen.

So, bottom line, you don't need to worry, it is most likely that you will never reach a value over 1000. I don't think that anyone will ever use such huge numbers, it is not productive at all. :-)

• Infrabass
    Options

Hey Sunborn, thanks a lot for your answer!

Actually, I'm currently building a very unique Reaktor ensemble which is kind of a hack to give Reaper a better parameter modulation system.

I plan to have 32 macros in a stacked macro, each macro containing around 25 parameters. It's been already 800 parameters! 😅

I also noticed I can go up to 9999 parameters in Reaktor but it seems only the 1000 first ones are accessible for automation via a DAW. Am I right?

• Infrabass
    Options

Tested in Bitwig → Same 1000 parameters limitation.

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,363 mod
    edited July 2023
    Options

Actually number 9999 is my own guess, as a theoretical possible maximum, there is no reference for a specific number, maybe only Reaktor creators know this.

About your Macros, i don't know what is, but in many cases you can use common knobs/faders/buttons etc. to control many stacked macro elements. For example you can have 10 macros with 10 different filters that they use just 1 cutoff knob, thus, just one parameter.

On any case, those 1000 parameters limitation seems that it is DAW related, not Reaktor.

• Infrabass
    Options

Thanks Sunborn!

I think you're right. I asked Reaper devs about it, I'll report here when they answer.

In my case, I can't control multiple sub-macros with the same knob as any sub-macros is independent of the others.

A bit of topic but btw, yesterday I tried to use a stack macro in a stack macro, it's impossible, right?

I couldn't make it work.

• Infrabass
    edited July 2023
    Options

Ah I answered my question myself.

Nested stacked macros are definitively possible, it just needs to follow this hierarchy:

I was missing the macro between the 2 stacked macros.

• Infrabass
    Options

Justin from Reaper just answered me, he told me there is no limit to accessing plugin parameters.

So, it might be a Reaktor limitation in the end.

To be 100% sure, it would be really nice to have the insight of a NI team member. 😀

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hey all, I can confirm. It is a limitation of Reaktor 6, there are only 1000 accessible automation IDs.

• Infrabass
    Options

Hey Jeremy,

Thanks for the confirmation!

In the meantime, I updated my instrument design and now use a limited number of connections controlled by Reaktor lists.

It's a bit more practical in the end!

Damn, I love building Reaktor instruments!

Thanks for providing us with such an awesome tool!

🤗

• Infrabass
    edited July 2023
    Options

While we are discussing limitations, is there a max number of IC Send/Receive modules that can be used in an ensemble and is there a max number of internal connections that can be done for a single IC receive or any other module?

Better to know in advance instead of hitting the limit in the middle of a complex design! 😁

Thanks 🙏

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

@Infrabass AFAIK there is no limitation, but it might increase size of the RAM footprint of such an enemble and therefore could lead to performance issues.