What is next for Maschine +, road map?

Comments

• MaikR
    MaikR Member Posts: 293 Pro

There are some ‘simple’ changes they have to address before releasing a new hardware version of Maschine+, and most of them have to do with workflow.

It has USB, so implement better support for external SSDs. It should be possible to open and save to sound, samples and projects from it.

It has Wifi, so implement some form of import / export to a computer that has Maschine sofwtare installed.

It has two big, full-color screens… use them. Not for CPU intensive eye-candy, but to display information on patches or an envelop, etc.

As mentioned before (old forum?) implement a simple and fool-proof workflow: computer => standalone => computer. Same folder structure (or clone under the hood, so the user doesn’t have to deal with it) and with bouncing tracks / freezing third party instruments and effects.

This all has nothing to do with the lack of cpu power, memory or other hardware related excuses. This means back to the drawing board. Take responsibility for design flaws, which are compensated with tricky marketing.

If they can do this and rebuild my trust, then I will consider a version 2 of M+. Otherwise, well… I will accept it as an overpriced sample player. Yes, I know, it can do a hell of a lot more… but other gear can, too.

• AdelV
    AdelV Member Posts: 304 Guru

Export/Import over Wi-Fi and Bluetooth MIDI +1 👌

I wonder if someone from the staff will answer us or at least respond to the proposal.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 3,009 Expert

Although folk don't want to see a new Maschine+ and wish to have things working on the current version, the truth is, there does need to be a new Maschine, with a highly capable CPU and increased RAM in order to run the Kontakt instruments people wish to use standalone

NI could prepare Update Pack.... The computer inside may be replaced with stronger (CPU and RAM) one. I guess drivers would have to be also updated to support new, stronger computer unit. It is sort of industry replacable thing.

• OhulahanBass
    OhulahanBass Member Posts: 172 Pro

I don't think that would happen but I will buy if it does.

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,322 Guru

Sigh......If only.....

• DoverBeach
    DoverBeach Member Posts: 48 Helper
    edited June 2023

Been playing with my M+ a lot lately to calm down my gas for a Push3. I still think that before an hardware upgrade this device needs a great software update that will make It shine even without an hardware improvement:

- graphic UI for existent synth and mod Matrix to give the user the ability to sound design on the Maschine.

Who wants more cpu if It will be there just to load more cpu intensive presets sold with their expansion packs?

- more lfos and sample mangling capabilities

- improved step sequencer with probability and a better ux

- more effects, improved eq/reverb

- full support (and UI) for a selection of Reaktor ensembles

- ability to record in the arrangement a live performance (Lock States included)

- automations

- more arp features

- midi CCS should be configurable Standalone, it's not that hard c'mon

These improvements Will make M+ a great and cheaper competitor to Push and don't require hardware upgrade. If they don't fix these things before the next hardware Will be just a more powerful flop.

I have been a Push user and I still prefer M+ workflow/form factor, plus there Is nothing similar to Lock States and the arrangement on Push But It needs a serious refresh and some commitment, change of direction/ethic from NI.

It's too much evident they have limited the usability of the device to sell more expansion packs and I think that this outshadowed the M+ strenghts

• iNate
    iNate Member Posts: 218 Advisor
    edited June 2023

I totally agree.

It needs an NVMe SSD, a better CPU and 8GB RAM. At $1,300 this spec package makes no sense when it's actually competing against a $700 MPC.

The current device is a dead end. Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6.5, and full libraries? Lol. Good luck. People should have known what they were getting when they bought it.

This thing competes with $700 MPCs and there is almost no headroom for adding what people are asking for. It is and was always a horrible spec package designed more for maximizing profit margins than delivering the best possible user experience.

It absolutely needs a refresh.

As enticing as it is at times, I can't bring myself to pay the price they're charging for this thing.

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,649 Expert

@DoverBeach suggested:

- more lfos and sample mangling capabilities 

- improved step sequencer with probability and a better ux

- ability to record in the arrangement a live performance (Lock States included) 

- automations 

- more arp features 

These are all requests for Maschine in general, many of them long-standing. As long as they are not implemented in the application, there’s no chance to see them on the plus. These features would be very welcome for a majority of users.

Regarding:

- more effects

What is missing in your opinion? Would Reaktor effects be an acceptable alternative?

- improved eq/reverb 

What improvements seem necessary to you, what are the current implementations missing in your opinion?

These are actually M+ related:

- graphic UI for existent synth and mod Matrix to give the user the ability to sound design on the Maschine.  

- full support (and UI) for a selection of Reaktor ensembles 

- midi CCS should be configurable Standalone, it's not that hard c'mon 

Full support of synth UIs which often have controls that are hard to translate to eight rotary controllers will be difficult to achieve. And the question is how many users would actually use the M+ to create new patches for Massive and Kontakt.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,408 Expert

In facts…almost every thing you mentioned do require more processing power. Therefore hardware upgrade.

One example over all: graphic UI. Many people think it’s just just an embellishment, but putting a proper UI at work do require a lot of resources

• DoverBeach
    edited June 2023

1- ok, new Maschine user here, still valid tho.

2- stock fx are fun but not pro grade as advertised

3- 8 Rotary knobs and 8 buttons above. Something Like push might work and push doesn't have more knobs, buttons or a touchscreen.

Each button select a part of the synth to edit (the arrows really?) knobs affects parameters, jog wheel could also do something, select parameters, click...

Their laziness here is too much evident to justify with " It Will be difficult" or "how many users would actually use it". Really?

Yeah..Who would buy a groovebox with synths you can design your sounds on. 🌝

• MaikR
    MaikR Member Posts: 293 Pro

Maybe I don’t understand what you’re saying, but I wouldn’t blame it on the users / customers. And, if that’s what you’re willing to say… humm… never mind.

When comparing current prices it would be fair to include the Komplete bundle, too. As far as I know Akai sells a separate package for that. And, the M+ goes cheaper when looking at other retailers instead of the NI online store.

I totally agree that NI is simply maximizing profits. Not okay. They should put way more efforts in improving their current hardware. The M+ hardware is what it is. So they have to maximize what it has to bring to the table… and from a usability perspective that’s a lot more!

There’s Wifi, two additional USB ports, two large screens… start using them! But that requires effort and therefore resources… that doesn’t go with maximizing profit.

I also have a Push 2… well Ableton (still) supports this device. Their new devices simply extend their range of products. And, with the new hardware they even support hardware upgrades. Yes, there are bugs… but I trust there strategy. For me as a customer it’s up to NI. Was a fooled once…? I definitely will not be fooled twice.

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,649 Expert

You can design your own sounds from scratch with:

• Monark
    • Bass Synth
    • Poly Synth
    • Drum Synth

Did you ever design your own sounds on Massive? How would you edit wave table selection, signal routing, envelopes, macro assignments, automation sequences (don’t remember the specific term)?

Please explain why the available effects are not „pro grade“.

• djadidai
    djadidai Member Posts: 462 Pro

I think M+ has good capabilities of designing sounds. Even if 16 pages of macros is a bit of a pain all macros do something and if you know a bit about massive and listen you hear what the knobs do. I guess it’s not the best way to shape and create sounds but after a few hours you’d know it by heart.

• djadidai
    djadidai Member Posts: 462 Pro

And btw, what about the effects? I think they sound well, and do what they’re supposed to do!

• DoverBeach
    edited June 2023

Sorry if I'm not able to multiquote properly, btw of those mentioned drum synth is the only one I use and I'd highlight that ableton lacks a proper drum synth so one point for NI.

Monark is good but one trick one pony. Bass and poly meh.

How you edit them on Push. Lots of work needed for the development team btw. (regarding massive and fm8 a streamlined version with an improved UI/UX would be great, they don't need to have the same depth they have on a laptop)

Stock compressor, filter, reverbs lacks quality and are dated imho.

All in all I still have a lot to explore and limitation sparks my creativity, I'd onlysee improvements in some departments, the sequencer above all.

This discussion has been closed.