Why is Logic requiring me to run Maschine 2.17.4 in Rosetta mode

Alex Wise
Alex Wise Member Posts: 4 Member

Upgraded to Ventura 13.4 and immediately Maschine 2, Komplete Kontrol, & Reaktor 6 all stopped working. Followed all of the troubleshooting tips and nothing.

So, I finally changed Logic to Rosetta mode and now it all works fine. But why? Did anyone else experience this? What are the compromises of using Rosetta mode?

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    Answer ✓

The issue was fixed with the latest Logic update (10.7.9)

Answers

• just_jump
    just_jump Member Posts: 72 Helper
    edited June 2023

If you've updated everything NI it's all native. Logic was actually running the intel plugins through rosetta even while logic was in native mode. Rosetta just handles running intel stuff for a performance hit mostly.

Where you opening old projects or new? Possible you had some plugins not updated for nks v3 which would seem like the more likely situation - again since Logic was translating intel plugins anyway.

When you say stopped working what exactly happened? You might try validating those plugins again if they're to date via logic's plugin manager.

• Alex Wise

Thank you for responding. As I said, everything worked until I upgraded from Ventura 13.3 to 13.4. Now, when I try to open an instant of Maschine, Komplete, or Reaktor—even in a new session, I get an error message that gives me the option to either recover or quit Logic. When I choose the recover option it rejects my attempts and forces me to quit the session every time.

I’ve revalidated, uninstalled, & reinstalled the plugins and followed troubleshooting protocol but nothing has worked except for starting Logic in Rosetta mode.

• MovingMountainMedia
    MovingMountainMedia Member Posts: 5 Member

Hey Alex,

I am having the same problem. As soon as I updated to 2.17.4 I can no longer open projects that contain a Machine 2 instance unless running logic in Rosetta mode. I also did all the same troubleshooting for hours, revalidating, reinstalling, and a ton of other steps and research and nothing worked until I tried Rosetta. Any other project even with a ton of Kontakt 7 instruments or other NI Apps, open just fine with or without Rosetta but even adding a machine 2 instance to a brand new project will cause Logic to give an error and force quit the project if not started in Rosetta mode. Earlier in the day I was working on music for video for a high profile client (now due for delivery but delayed due to this) and then the update came through, and could then no longer open the project I was just working on prior. I have sent 2 separate tickets to NI support and own almost all of their products and still haven’t gotten any reply. I am eager to hear a solution or see if another update comes through. No other 3rd party apps or plugins running other than NI and Apple and a super clean machine environment with the OS fully updated and nothing else running in the background other than Logic Pro X (with latest update and Ventura with latest update).

Also I am not sure if you are experiencing this but even with Rosetta running and Machine 2.17.4 working the performance is dismal and will cause memory leak issues that will eventually crash Logic. Much worse than normally running Logic through Rosetta (which we all had to do for a while until all the main NI apps were made to work Natively with Apple Silicon). Thanks for posting. I don’t feel as crazy after all my troubleshooting.

Best,

Gabriel

• Jeremy_NI
    edited June 2023

It looks like this issue with Komplete Kontrol: KK v 2.9.3 not able to open in LOGIC anymore.

Is it the same error message?

We are currently investigating this issue.

@Alex Wise We'd like to check your issue and system as well, can I create a ticket for you?

@MovingMountainMedia My colleagues should get back to you soon.

• Alex Wise

Gabriel, no, you're not crazy. I just submitted a ticket for this issue with Jeremy at NI. There's definitely a conflict between Logic Pro X and Maschine 2.17.4. And yes, Rosetta is presenting some strange performance issues with my other plugins. I'll post the fix after they work it out. Hopefully it's sooner than later.

Alex

• Kymeia
    Kymeia Member Posts: 3,605 Expert
    edited June 2023

On some systems there is, problem is it's been hard to reproduce. Doesn't happen for me for example with Komplete Kontrol or Maschine (in Native Mode on M1 Max, Ventura 13.3) so there must be some additional factor involved

• MovingMountainMedia

@Alex Wise @Jeremy_NI Thank you both! @Kymeia Thanks, for the info. I think Alex Wise and myself are on Ventura 13.4 which may be the additional factor. I wish Apple made it possible to roll back OS like the old days. I will post an update if any resolutions come through. Cheers all!

• MovingMountainMedia
    edited June 2023

@Jeremy_NI Yes, the Komplete Kontrol error looks like the same error message that I am getting. Here is a screen shot of a new project and just adding a Machine 2 instance with no other plugins running immediately presents error. Clicking Recover will fail. Thanks for the response and for your help. Cheers!

• Kymeia
    Kymeia Member Posts: 3,605 Expert
    edited June 2023

I thought so too but then someone said they were experiencing it with 13.3 so not sure now - I haven't risked 13.4 yet but there's nothing in it I need desperately anyway

• MovingMountainMedia

@Alex Wise @Jeremy_NI @Kymeia So I was looking at other similar discussions and saw that Kymeia posted the steps to remove the two Logic Pro plists from the Library and that resolved the issue for the similar Komplete Kontrol error...so I gave it a try and it seems to have solved this issue for me. Give it a try and hopefully it solves it for now. Here is the image that Kymeia shared in another thread. Thanks again all and hope this helps. @Kymeia Cheers!

• Alex Wise

So, @MovingMountainMedia that did the trick for me. All plugins are loading and seem to be working as they should . Thank you so much for the assist.

• Jeremy_NI

To all affected users, please check the following:

Make sure to install Komplete Kontrol 2.9.4 / Maschine 2.14.7 in Native Access

Open the following location on your computer:

Macintosh HD > Users > *Username* > Library

Note: See this article or the video below for instructions to access the hidden User Library folder on macOS.

Delete the product folder for the affected plug-in from:

Macintosh HD > Users > *Username* > Library > Application Support > Native Instruments > *Product Name* folder

Delete the plist file for the affected plug-in from:

Macintosh HD > Users > *Username* > Library > Preferences > com.native-instruments.*Product Name*.plist

Delete this cache file from:

Macintosh HD > Users > *Username* > Library > Caches > AudioUnitCache > com.apple.audiounits.cache

• MovingMountainMedia
    edited June 2023

@Jeremy_NI FYI, I have submitted 2 separate tickets to support and haven't received any reply at all in well over a week. Not even a confirmation of my submitted tickets. I have spent thousands upon thousands on NI products. It is a little upsetting and am working on professional content for a very high profile client. I have colleagues that have submitted tickets more recently and received responses. How can I get quicker help and actually a response. Even though I solved my issue after hours and hours of personal troubleshooting and research and solved this for a few others as well with zero correspondence back from NI support. Not sure what has happened to accountability and customer service best practices. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

P.S. this isn't to minimize your engagement in the community threads and that is much appreciated, but going through the support system has yielded zero reply and zero result for products at premium prices. Cheers!

• Jeremy_NI

@MovingMountainMedia In the meantime, it looks like my colleagues got back to you. Sorry for the late reply from our support but we have a lot of requests at the moment and it impacts our response times.

• Jeremy_NI

Hey all, one of the affected users might have found the culprit/solution. If you go in Logic's settings, then MIDI, if you untick MIDI 2.0 the issue disappears.