Humming on Phono Channel: Kontrol S4 Mk3

CageyBee
CageyBee Member Posts: 3 Member

Hi All,

A few months ago I upgraded from a Kontrol S4 MK1 to S4 MK3 and all working well until I recently started playing vinyl through it - I can hear a hum and the VU meters are also picking it up. This is happening on both Phono channels (A & B).a

I've done the usual things of disconnecting/reconnecting all cables including the ground wire (Technics SL1210's), but it's still happening.

I need to digitize some vinyl which I can't do while this is happening, so I have had to switch back to my old MK1 (luckily I haven't sold it yet) and it's working fine with no humming, so I know it's not my laptop, power supply, cables or turntables.

Do I have a faulty unit, or is there some kind of setting that I'm missing? To switch to phono I hit SHIFT + Line/Phone buttons.

Many thanks.

Answers

• alec.tron
    alec.tron Member Posts: 72 Pro

Unfortunately, it's been an issue from the beginning, and never fixed. Units do vary (I returned 4+ of them until I settled on the one with only 2-4 bars on full gains - but it's still not acceptable imo), but they all hum - see

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/comment/47972#Comment_47972

c.

• CageyBee

Many thanks and sorry for the very very late response - only just realised I didn't reply.

This is shocking, especially given the cost of these units and the fact that I got rid of my mixer as I thought I could play vinyl through the S4.

I've now also kept hold of my S4 Mk1 so that I can record from vinyl, so I'm having to connect that up.

The fact that NI have known about this and have done nothing about it is unacceptable - it's a blatant two fingers up to their customers. I've been a NI & Traktor user for many years but due to this I've decided to sell my MK3 and move over to the dark side.....

• Tellmeaboutit123
    Tellmeaboutit123 Member Posts: 493 Guru

Exact same issue I have. Not great at all. They just don’t wanna fix it along with other s4 known for years faults.

• CageyBee

I mean my Mk1 is fine, so it's not like they don't know what the issue is. I guess it's just too expensive to fix. Not good enough.