Comments

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,291 Expert
    Options
  • nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,286 Guru
    edited April 2023
    Options

Excerpt from LIF quote: For me the screens on NI hardwares (specifically Maschine and KK) are all about forgetting the computer and feeling the hardware like an instrument.

And this is a failed concept, and needs to be abandoned.

The music production capabilities of a computer-based rig evolve too rapidly to be replicated in the confines of the smaller display of a controller and hard-labeled controls.

NI has had it backwards.

They have been developing KK software to serve the hardware, and this results in the software being constrained and compromised.

Instead, the controllers should be developed to serve the computer-based software.

This should be the new foundational concept of NI controllers.

• LostInFoundation
    edited April 2023
    Options

Your opinion and a failed concept for you 😉.

My opinion is that when I make music only watching the MK3 screens (or the Maschine+) I have more fun. A lot

A little more fiddly? Probably. But so is playing strings on a guitar instead of on a controller. But the satisfaction is guaranteed ☺️

In your way of seeing things, you don’t even need any controller. You can make music by clicking with a mouse on a piano roll. If that’s the kind of fun you are after

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,741 mod
    edited April 2023
    Options

So you say. I just hope NI do not abandon the huge amount of work people in the NI community and developers have done to make NKS work as both a controller and librarian.

• nightjar
    Options

I would assume (safely so) that FAR FAR more people buy NI controllers to provide performance input to their computer-based rigs, with such a rig in active use right in front of them. This is how you see the controllers presented in almost all scenarios.

These users should be the primary concern in product design.

• LostInFoundation
    Options

And pls don’t ask to abandon what many other people like. You can follow your way already now. Why do you say that the way WE like it MUST be abandoned? Follow your way and we will follow our 😉

• LostInFoundation
    edited April 2023
    Options

Btw: the “smaller display of a controller” of my MPC live shows exactly what the software on a computer shows. Plus I can touch directly what I see and interact with it. If you prefer to push a button on a mouse and drag it more and more times (cause your mouse pad is to little) to edit start and end point of a sample, I prefer to touch them and move them where I want. Or to turn a knob on the Maschine, without my old neck continuously having to move up and down to reach the knob and watch at the computer screen 😉

• LostInFoundation
    Options

Points of view…

• LostInFoundation
    Options

But…since I’m “safely” not “the primary concern in product design”, I will use what a professional company (and all the others) researched to be what people want..oh…look…I’m already doing it 😏

• nightjar
    Options

I can NOT follow "my way" already now.

KK software is a terrible bridge to the capabilities of a modern computer-based music production rig.

And your old neck would not need to move up and down with a well-designed controller + computer screen UI. You would keep your vision up and this well-designed UI on computer screen will relate to the physical controls at your hands. Your brain and muscle memory will take care of the rest.

• LostInFoundation
    edited April 2023
    Options

I’m not against it.

But I just guess why you even use KK software so. All the products in it can be used in other ways.

Hope you will design such a wonderful piece of hardware, so you’ll protect my neck. But do it very good, cause at the moment Maschine is accomplishing this task very well for me

• nightjar
    edited April 2023
    Options

Interaction with a full-fledged DAW is the point of S-Series controllers. And the promise of NKS is NI's unique selling point.

Trying to make these controllers emulate stand-alone keyboard workstations is chasing the wrong target.

A stand-alone keyboard workstation are far less capable than a computer-based rigs.

NI needs to design their flagship controllers to maximize the user experience with computer-based music production.

Those who want a stand alone keyboard workstation have plenty of other choices.

• chk071
    chk071 Member Posts: 361 Pro
    edited April 2023
    Options

I agree. Actually, that's what makes the KK S series (and Maschine) interesting.

• LostInFoundation
    edited April 2023
    Options

Who ever talked about standalone???

And…once again…”the promise of NKS is NI's unique selling point”…FOR YOU.

As an example, I’m into NI environment for Maschine. KK keyboards are only one more way to play it.

NI started by doing very good virtual instruments. Then they added Maschine for people wanting to sample and an MPC like experience. And ONLY then they added KK keyboards (as an additional way to play them and to have the parameters premapped at knobs) and NKS.

NKS is a damn good thing, but if you are with NI only for NKS, and you don’t even like it, probably you chose the wrong path.

You confuse a little bit too often what YOU want with what people want

• nightjar
    Options

This is a thread about S-Series controllers.