Maschine MK3 Setup with Another Interface

Foldyman
Foldyman Member Posts: 39 Member
edited February 2022 in Maschine

Hi,

I can find a number of post on this, but know matter how much a read them or reread the manual, I can't quite convince myself what I want to do is possible...

Would anyone be good enough to explain in simple terms for a simpleton?

I use Windows and Reaper.

I have another audio interface that I want to keep using.

I'm not particularly bothered about using Maschine's hardware I/O (but would be handy, I think, for sampling when outside the DAW environment?)

I want to be able to see all Maschine's tracks as sepetate audio inputs when using it as a VST in Reaper, whilst also using my current ASIO interface.

I don't want to use ASIO4ALL or anything like that.

I think all this is possible? If so, how would I set it up? I've gone down so many rabbit holes so far with no clear idea of what on earth I've just bought.

The getting started manual seems to just assume you'll use Maschine as your audio interface and that's that, but that's not what I want to do.

Seems a really hard product to understand without one in front of you!

Cheers,

A

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓

Very Simple in Reaper...

1. Right click Track Pane, select "Insert Virtual Instrument on New Track"
    2. In FX Browser Double click VSTi: Maschine 2
    3. Build Routing Confirmation Dialog pops Up asking if you want to create a separate tracks for each output (16 Stereo outs) click Yes, 16 additional tracks will be created along with the main virtual Instrument track (total 17 tracks)
    4. Now in Maschine Load a Group/Kit of your choice
    5. select the first sound slot and click the Control area icon above the plugin icon.
    6. select "Output" then select "Audio". and change the destination ("Dest.) to Ext 1
    7. select the next sound slot and change the destination to Ext 2 and so on and so on.
    8. Save the project as a template so you don't have to do the routing every time...if you exclusively use Maschine as a VST, you can then specify this project as the default template to load in preferences.

That is pretty much the steps needed and you can also do this at the group level if you just want each group to go to a separate output.

Edit: some other things to mention, you can do the routing on an empty group and then save the group. if you want a group routed to 16 outs, just load that group with the routing button at the bottom selected which will recall all routing. Then you can load a kit into that group, but you need to de-select routing, or the routing of the blank group you created will be overwritten.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert
    Answer ✓

Skip my explanation, Blindeddie's applies better to your case.

Stems are multiple audiotracks exported for mixing/mastering, .... You could use it, if you need more than 16 stereo tracks from Maschine in DAW.

• Blindeddie
    Answer ✓

The learning curve can be high, and of course everyone’s workflow is different, so adapting/learning/understanding can take some time. If you run into any roadblocks, just post here…someone always willing to help and you will rarely get the standard “RTFM” response!!

Answers

• Kubrak

I do not use Reaper (or any other DAW), but I think it is difficult/impossible to see all Maschine's tracks in DAW. Maschine runs as one stereo track within the DAW.....

What most people do is do the job in Maschine, export stems and import it to DAW as audio tracks....

You can set Reaper to use your audio interface, no need to use MK3.

Maybe someone can help you to interconect somehow Maschine SW and Reaper, but it probably needs lot of effort and tweaking....

• Foldyman

Thanks, but I now have literally no idea what I've just bought :)

I thought I'd just be able to open the Maschine VST in my DAW, and map all its channels to audio inputs.

I can do that with other VSTs, so I thought Maschine would be the same. I'll have to have a play when I get it, but it might be going back at this rate.

I can't find a concise description anywhere of what the thing actually does.

I'm not sure what a stem is, but it would seem a kind of clunky workflow to make patterns in a separate piece of software, mix it down to stereo, import into a DAW and then try and get the tempo to match up, then if you wanted to make any changes to the pattern you'd have to do it again.

I think I'm just not getting this box? :/

• Blindeddie
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓

Very Simple in Reaper...

1. Right click Track Pane, select "Insert Virtual Instrument on New Track"
    2. In FX Browser Double click VSTi: Maschine 2
    3. Build Routing Confirmation Dialog pops Up asking if you want to create a separate tracks for each output (16 Stereo outs) click Yes, 16 additional tracks will be created along with the main virtual Instrument track (total 17 tracks)
    4. Now in Maschine Load a Group/Kit of your choice
    5. select the first sound slot and click the Control area icon above the plugin icon.
    6. select "Output" then select "Audio". and change the destination ("Dest.) to Ext 1
    7. select the next sound slot and change the destination to Ext 2 and so on and so on.
    8. Save the project as a template so you don't have to do the routing every time...if you exclusively use Maschine as a VST, you can then specify this project as the default template to load in preferences.

That is pretty much the steps needed and you can also do this at the group level if you just want each group to go to a separate output.

Edit: some other things to mention, you can do the routing on an empty group and then save the group. if you want a group routed to 16 outs, just load that group with the routing button at the bottom selected which will recall all routing. Then you can load a kit into that group, but you need to de-select routing, or the routing of the blank group you created will be overwritten.

• Foldyman

@Blindeddie, thank you.

A ton of stuff to figure out but I'm now more confident Maschine is what I thought it was!

• Kubrak
    Answer ✓

Skip my explanation, Blindeddie's applies better to your case.

Stems are multiple audiotracks exported for mixing/mastering, .... You could use it, if you need more than 16 stereo tracks from Maschine in DAW.

• Blindeddie
    Answer ✓

The learning curve can be high, and of course everyone’s workflow is different, so adapting/learning/understanding can take some time. If you run into any roadblocks, just post here…someone always willing to help and you will rarely get the standard “RTFM” response!!

• DanielJM
    DanielJM Member Posts: 22 Member

Can you do this: Maschine mk3 as a midi controller and Focusrite Scarlett 4th gen solo as interface in Fl studio