Loading Reason rack plugin on Maschine

J2D2
J2D2 Member Posts: 23 Member
edited February 2022 in Maschine

HI,

Im a Reason user right from the beginning so I was a bit baffled when I couldn't load it onto machine as a plugin.

I watched a Jeff Gibbon YouTube video on it and followed it however when I select it as a plugin on the dropdown menu it simply doesn't load in the background.

Must be something simple I'm sure....... it shows as a plugin ,as a rack and as FX but won't load either.

I have plenty other 3rd party plugins and they have no issue loading.

much appreciated

Jay

Tagged:

Best Answer

• J2D2
    Answer ✓

So I've been discussing issues with NI support who have been pretty good after telling me my OS isn't supported that they will support Maschine software, its been a bit of back and forth and still no further on.

According to reason forums it all went downhill in version 2.12 of Maschine as after that the RRP wouldn't load or had problems, they said it was the same time NO added VST3 support for their own plugins.

So maybe if it was possible to download and older version of Maschine and try that might be the option but Im not sure its possible as you can only get them on Native access I believe

Still working on it though as Im a Reason guy and I really need it to work in Maschine.

Answers

• Fugazi81
    Fugazi81 Member Posts: 58 Advisor

Hi,

no, unfortunately that doesn't work.

Reason Rack is a VST3 plugin and Maschine only supports a handful of NI VST3 plugins so far.

There are of course ways around this by using a VST wrapper such as Blue Cat's PatchWork and similar.

Or one waits until VST3 is fully supported.

• J2D2

Sorry but reason rack isnt just Vst3 it’s an audio unit plug-in also.

while it’s not compatible with windows but is on Mac.

here is a YouTube vid of it being demonstrated.

the reason rack plug-in is only AU compatible and only on Mac which is what I’m using.

I’m not using windows sorry if that wasn’t clear

• Fugazi81
    Fugazi81 Member Posts: 58 Advisor

oops,

good to know.

Then I'm sorry that I caused confusion. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with macOs. Good Luck.

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,523 admin

I think AU plugins should show up. What version of Reason are you using? Do you have the latest update? 

• J2D2

Hi yes reason rack and fx show up as an au plug-in.

they show up in the plug-ins library in Maschine preferences too.

you can select it as a plug-in and it shows on the tab as a plug-in but won’t show up in Maschine software.

it also doesn’t load up in background

I’m using v reason v11.3.9.

Sorry about screenshot

• J2D2

To just add a bit of info that I think helps isolate the issue , I can load reason rack as a plugin on garage band with no issues at all, everything works as it should.

which leads me to assume that maybe Maschine is the one with the issue and not the reason rack plugin.

Thanks

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod

What do you mean by "won’t show up in Maschine software" / "it doesn't load up in the background" ??

What happens when you double click here:

??

• J2D2

Nothing happens when I click there.

double click does nothing

hitting the little arrow tab to show plugging does nothing

normally I’d expect a reason splash screen then the rack plug-in but nothing.

if I switch apps using shift -tab ist not even loading up in the background.

obviously because reason engine needs to load to run rack plug-in it will be there when you shift -tab as I’ve shown in the screenshot.

it’s just not happening.

in garage band it loads up in au format.I don’t use garage band but I tried it to see if reason was the issue. But it’s not.

it also loads up in live Le as a rack plug-in or fx.

maschine isn’t doing it.

I been a reason user for 23 years so I know it very well. Maschine is new to me.

• Patrick Galame
    Patrick Galame Member Posts: 7 Member

Reason Rack 11 works well here with Maschine 2.14.7 on my Mac mini 2018 running macos 10.15 (Catalina), except for some Reason plugins that crash Maschine (like "Umpf Club Drums"). Didn't upgrade to macos 12 as I think Reason 11 is not supported on it and I am not willing to switch to Reason+ subscription model. What version of macos are you running?

Patrick

• J2D2

Thanks Patrick

yes I’m on 10.15 Catalina too.

it’s as far as my MacBook will go with Mac OS. It’s an older MacBook Pro with 16gb ram and an SSD drive but it’s been fine with reason and traktor

I’m using reason 11.3.9 and not looking to goto 12 for the same reason.

I had looked to upgrade to a Mac mini M1 but it’s not supported either and most software has to be used in rossetta mode. ive deleted mashine and associated files according to NI guide and done the same with reason. Reinstalled it all again and it’s the same issue.

scanned plug-in folder, it’s all there showing up but won’t work in mashine when selected.

works on garage band fine and I even downloaded a live LE demo and it works on that.

just Maschine has the issue.

Ive contacted NI tech support who simply said OS10.5 is no longer supported.

mid im having to upgrade the Mac then I’d go with the latest Mac not a 4 year old unit that will need upgrading again.

might just cut my losses and get rid of NI and but a nektar controller and be done with it.

Thanks

• Patrick Galame
    Patrick Galame Member Posts: 7 Member

What happens if you switch to mixer view while on this A1 group where you put the Reason Rack? Same problem if you click on the arrow on top on the Reason Rack Plugin Box?

As a workaround, as you already installed Live Lite, you could load both Reason Rack and Maschine as VST plugins (instead of AU) in Live and send Maschine Midi to Reason Rack and Reason Rack Audio back to Maschine where you can sample it. While it's seems more cumbersome, I find this config to be more stable as I never experienced the crashes I have on some instruments of the AU Rack with the VST version of Reason Rack.

Hope this helps.

Patrick

• J2D2

Thanks Patrick

I only loaded live LE to troubleshoot the issue. I’m not a live user.

I can load mashine into reason as a plug-in however I was hoping to use mashine to access my reason instruments as a different way of working.

i spent yesterday wiping the Mac completely and reinstalled Mac OS Catalina. I’m now installing just reason and mashine and see if it works.

It might be time to purchase some more plugins rather than use reason however I’ve spent such a long time and money investing in learning reason instruments.

I personally don’t like the way NI do things with their instruments however you could say the same with reason too.

i think if your starting out and any of these are your first introduction to music technology then you really have got your work cut out.

mom from the 90s where midi was king. The samplers had 2mb of memory sampling and 64mb was enough sample libraries to make amazing music.

running a virtual instrument on a computer was a pipe dream. Lol.

thanks for your help it’s greatly appreciated

have a great day mate.

jay

• J2D2
    Answer ✓

So I've been discussing issues with NI support who have been pretty good after telling me my OS isn't supported that they will support Maschine software, its been a bit of back and forth and still no further on.

According to reason forums it all went downhill in version 2.12 of Maschine as after that the RRP wouldn't load or had problems, they said it was the same time NO added VST3 support for their own plugins.

So maybe if it was possible to download and older version of Maschine and try that might be the option but Im not sure its possible as you can only get them on Native access I believe

Still working on it though as Im a Reason guy and I really need it to work in Maschine.

• J2D2

Sorry to revive the thread however I managed to get it all going now.

I had updated Maschine to V2.17 and still wouldn't load Reason Rack plugin.

Ive now uninstalled Maschine and reinstalled version 2.15 and its now working.

I guess on Catalina its as far as you can go so if your in the same boat don't update Maschine past 2.15 and all should be well.

Thanks everyone for their input