Different KK keyboards on different MIDI channels

Jan Matejka
Jan Matejka Member Posts: 4 Newcomer
edited March 2022 in Komplete Kontrol

Hello, I have two devices connected to my MacOS. S61 and A25 for playing 2 manual pipe organ. I need S61 to communicate on MIDI channel 4 and A25 to communicate on MIDI channel 2. When I go to the Komplete Kontrol App the configuration is always the same for both. How to achieve this configuration please? Thank you

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,637 mod
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓

Hey @Jan Matejka Unfortunately there is no way to change MIDI channels for only one of the keyboards.Sorry for the inconvenience. One workaround could be to switch one of the keyboards to MIDI mode and change it's MIDI channel and let the other one in Komplete Kontrol mode.

Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓

Hey @Jan Matejka Unfortunately there is no way to change MIDI channels for only one of the keyboards.Sorry for the inconvenience. One workaround could be to switch one of the keyboards to MIDI mode and change it's MIDI channel and let the other one in Komplete Kontrol mode.

• Jan Matejka

Thank you for the answer. What? Why this is not possible? This is the reason why I have bought two your devices. Does that mean, that workaround is to sell NI device and buy another one with possibility to provide two separate MIDI channels? Really?:-) Thank you

• Jan Matejka

Just to clarify I don't want to use both devices within Komplete Kontrol. I need to use it within Kontakt and pipe organ VST. Still not possible?

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,578 Expert

It's kind of true that multiple KK keyboards do not work well together but I would think (have not tested) you should be able to make different MIDI templates in KK for different channels and set a different template on each keyboard. Again, have not tested that but give it a go, otherwise you may need to return a keyboard if possible. NI need to really make this point much clearer on their sites info.

• Jeremy_NI

Maybe I can bring a little bit of clarity. The Komplete Kontrol software makes the MIDI assignments for every Komplete Kontrol keyboard connected, there is no dedicated section for one keyboard and one for the next. You can set a different template on each keyboard if you connect them one by one. Once disconnected from the USB each keyboard will retain it's own MIDI channel assignment. They can emit on respective channels through a MIDI din cable, or at least only one of them. I hope that's a little bit clearer.

@Jan Matejka What DAW are you using ? Is there a reason you need different MIDI channels ? For example, here in Ableton, I can control 2 different VSTs using a M32 and a S61mk2 without the need to choose a MIDI channel:

We really need to be clearer on this topic, that is true.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,578 Expert

We really need to be clearer on this topic, that is true.

I'd say more so, NI development team really need to pull their finger out and actually develop some more useful functionality to make it more than just a nice toy :) There will be numerous situations where it would be desired to have more than 1 keyboard. Hell I have 3 of them but 2 are propping open doors because apart from filling an empty hole in the ground, that's the best application I can apply them to other than selling and I typically don't sell gear.

• Jan Matejka

Thank you for your answers. I am using primarily Kontakt and then Logic Pro X. I need to use different MIDI channels for this purpose: https://cinesamples.com/product/o-forbes-pipe-organ. There is a function "MIDI routing" what sends different layers (registry) to the different MIDI channel = keyboard/manual in pipe organ. So you have 3 manuals, great, swell and pedal. It does not work with KK keyboards. I have pedal manual - configure MIDI channel 5 and it works immediately and fine. I don't know why this is so big problem for KK products. I am changing the second KK device with another one. Thank you