Jam : Change patterns without loosing group focus

Ridel
Ridel Member Posts: 1 Member
edited March 2022 in Maschine

Is there any way to jam and change pattern of a group without loosing the focus on the current group where I am using the perform tool ? It is a big limitation for my live ! Is Maschine software development is still alive for Jam ?

Tagged:

Comments

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

I do not understand, what exactly you need. Can you write more. Or better make screenshots/protographs.

Jam is discontinued for almost twou years. I guess, there is not much support for Jam anymore. For example clips have not been adressed in Jam-Maschine interaction.

NI even did not want to include Jam support to Maschine+. It has been added later on strong requests of users.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited March 2022

It's as the title says, often people want to switch Patterns without activating each Group that every Pattern belongs to, so you can do other things that require you to stay in a particular Group... say trigger some samples or play a melody while you also switch a Pattern... Or use Jam to switch Patterns and another controller to do something else.

This is not Jam specific... People have been asking for it since Ideias View was introduced, for Jam, for the 4x4 controllers, and even for the KKS MK2's... Heck, I would like to do this even with just the mouse.

• Kubrak

But what do you men by "change patterns"? To change Scene so that Pattern X in Group Y is changed to Pattern Z in the same Group? And at the same time have focus on another Group?

It is possible if you use Maschine (Studio) and Jam. One may have "song view" (or what is the name of it) on Maschine and "arrangement view" on Jam.

So one may use Maschine for one task on certain group and Jam for switching patterns within Scenes...

The problem is that Jam does not have displays, so it may be tricky to guess which Scene is which and which Pattern is which. One has to have some kind of strict system.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited March 2022

@Kubrak said:

But what do you men by "change patterns"? To change Scene so that Pattern X in Group Y is changed to Pattern Z in the same Group? And at the same time have focus on another Group?

Yeah, but not necessarily "have a focus on another Group" it's more of a "not lose focus of the current Group" type of deal. I guess the ability to lock a controller to a Group could do the same thing.

It is possible if you use Maschine (Studio) and Jam. One may have "song view" (or what is the name of it) on Maschine and "arrangement view" on Jam.

So one may use Maschine for one task on certain group and Jam for switching patterns within Scenes...

Wait what? Are you sure? Arrangement View and Song is the same thing, there's are only 2 modes: that one and Ideias. (the naming convention for arrangement changed a while ago)

I don't own a Jam to verify but all controllers I've tried change the group immediately when a pattern is changed. A KKS MK2 won't even allow the Ideas Mode to be used to switch patterns from the HW if Maschine SW is focused on Song Mode... If I activate it on the MK3/M+ then Ideas is disabled on the KKS, given the topic I imagine the same happens for Jam?

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,302 Expert

Maschine+ and Jam always have identical focus. If switching on one device the other follows there. Which is logical, because the focus is actually in the software.

• Kubrak

Sorry I mess upp the names, I do not use them.....

But also I was wrong. :-( Jam shows the same type of View like Maschine. But, even in Arrangement (Song) View it may show (beside others) matrix of Group x Pattern for any Scene.

You may easily change any pattern in any group in Jam. If one fits into 8 x 8 (Patterns x Groups) it is just one button press. But if the focus is on Group X and pattern change is done in Group Y, focus moves to Group Y. (So, to stay in Group X one would have to press two buttons, one for pattern change in Group Y and second for return to Group X focus.)

So I guess it is not possible, what @Ridel needs. It is not possible to stay in one Group while changing Patterns in another Groups. But still, using Jam changing pattern is one or two presses of button. It may be done in timespan under cca 300 ms (including return to given Group).