Absolutely new to Music, Maschine+ and DAW, In need of some suggestions thx

Options
Littlemad
Littlemad Member Posts: 7 Newcomer

Hi everyone, here a completely newbie about sampling and everything else, but loving the Maschine and its capability. (I have no knowledge in making music)

I am still in learning mode about the capability of the Maschine+ and didn't still plug to the PC.

I am kind a bit overwhelmed by the variety and choices between NI softwares, DAW available etc... I know that it is a kind of big question, but is it possible that anyone could resume a little bit what would be my next steps?

At the moment I am making my first small music with the kit available of downloading from NI, via wifi. I wanted to smooth the process in finding kits, and instruments to memorise on the pad using my PC software, and being able to choose piano notes a bit quicker than using the STEP or the KEYBOARD (not all notes are visualised at the same time). I own a proper electric piano, and in process of learning how to use it.

Any suggestion which DAW should I use for start that supports Maschine? I would like to try some free software, or something easy for beginners. I understand that the answer is very subjective, but I hope to find someone that could at least point the way.

I was looking at cubase le, but I saw that there are so many pre-software to install before using the software itself. Between that, the Native softwares, and many other things honestly I am absolutely overwhelmed.

Thank you for your help!

Tagged:

Best Answer

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,299 Expert
    edited June 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi new fellow musician.

I’ll give you immediately my first advice: learn well what you already have and then start to expand later. Often having too many alternatives leads to even more confusion and not being able to use anything properly ☺️

I say this also because you must be ready to this soft instrument world: is a bottomless pit and you’ll end up wanting always something new 😂. This is very valid also for Hardwares, with the GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome 😂) being real.

That said, yes, the Step sequencer on Maschine is not one of the best in town (and partially also the piano roll). So you’ll probably need a DAW. You are correct: the choice is very subjective, but luckily many of them have demos or free versions and you can try them to see what fits better with you. If you ask me anyway, I have many of them and the one I feel at home with is Studio One. But it may be not the case for you. Before of this anyway, start using also the Maschine software on your desktop: putting in notes and understanding its “structure” will be easier with a big screen showing more things contemporary.

The first thing I would do to narrow down the choice is to think how you would like to work. Are you more a linear type of guy or do you want to work in a “clips launching” style? Maybe you could try the free versions of some to see what works well with you. DAWs like Ableton Live (very strong on clip launching) or even ProTools have free limited versions that can give you an idea of their workflow.

Watch also some videos on YT, to make yourself an idea of what they are capable of watching people who can already use them explaining how they function.

I’ll start leaving you links to a couple of videos from a very good “teacher” explaining what you already got: Maschine:

Be sure to check also his other videos, and also some other YouTubers ones (often you find links to them in his videos descriptions). Maybe, like for DAWs, his way of explaining doesn’t fit you and you can find others more helpful

(Maschine+ plugged as a controller to the computer is practically identical to MK3, so all the tutorials you’ll find on this model can be applied to your M+ too)

Oh…and…HAVE FUN with your new passion: making music is something really WONDERFUL 😉

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,299 Expert
    edited June 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi new fellow musician.

I’ll give you immediately my first advice: learn well what you already have and then start to expand later. Often having too many alternatives leads to even more confusion and not being able to use anything properly ☺️

I say this also because you must be ready to this soft instrument world: is a bottomless pit and you’ll end up wanting always something new 😂. This is very valid also for Hardwares, with the GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome 😂) being real.

That said, yes, the Step sequencer on Maschine is not one of the best in town (and partially also the piano roll). So you’ll probably need a DAW. You are correct: the choice is very subjective, but luckily many of them have demos or free versions and you can try them to see what fits better with you. If you ask me anyway, I have many of them and the one I feel at home with is Studio One. But it may be not the case for you. Before of this anyway, start using also the Maschine software on your desktop: putting in notes and understanding its “structure” will be easier with a big screen showing more things contemporary.

The first thing I would do to narrow down the choice is to think how you would like to work. Are you more a linear type of guy or do you want to work in a “clips launching” style? Maybe you could try the free versions of some to see what works well with you. DAWs like Ableton Live (very strong on clip launching) or even ProTools have free limited versions that can give you an idea of their workflow.

Watch also some videos on YT, to make yourself an idea of what they are capable of watching people who can already use them explaining how they function.

I’ll start leaving you links to a couple of videos from a very good “teacher” explaining what you already got: Maschine:

Be sure to check also his other videos, and also some other YouTubers ones (often you find links to them in his videos descriptions). Maybe, like for DAWs, his way of explaining doesn’t fit you and you can find others more helpful

(Maschine+ plugged as a controller to the computer is practically identical to MK3, so all the tutorials you’ll find on this model can be applied to your M+ too)

Oh…and…HAVE FUN with your new passion: making music is something really WONDERFUL 😉

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,357 Expert
    edited June 2023
    Options

If you just started out, I suggest to try to squeeze out as much as possible from your Maschine+.

And since you’re learning the piano as well, I would look at attaching one of the NI upper class keyboards to your M+.

You can already make phantastic music with that set up.

There’s a video by NI where Boris also explains how to expand your M+ with controllers:

There are many more videos about Maschine+ and Maschine in general on the Native Instruments channel.

And there’s this Blog entry as well:

Hope you find some of this inspiring!

• Littlemad
    Littlemad Member Posts: 7 Newcomer
    Options

Thank you for the answer! I will check both info, so that I can study and learn some more. That was already the plan. And I will try to check Studio one