Options
  • The P.O.T.Y
    The P.O.T.Y Member Posts: 41 Member
    Options

Same for Massive and FM8.

• Monochrome
    Monochrome Member Posts: 1,133 Expert
    Options

Same what? Massive and FM8 aren't discontinued/EOL.

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,363 mod
    Options

With respect to your opinion, but nothing is more wrong than that and the only reason i reply on this is for the sake of some young people who might read that destructive "opinion". The truth is that the less you think, the more stupid you become, the more non-creative, to more easy to be manipulate, and so on. Simple as that.

Sorry for the "off-topic". I couldn't leave this unanswered.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,299 Expert
    Options

Wow…the guy who told me “Irony doesn’t work on forums” was damn right 😶

It was a half joke. I’ll start again putting my “joke disclaimer” when I’ll be again not completely serious 👍🏼

Sorry if you took me seriously and you got worried. But I wouldn’t be so worried about young people: they know what irony is

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,363 mod
    Options

LOL, ok good to know.

Indeed that kind of "metaphoric irony" does not work on forums.... eh, until they allow some GIF's maybe! 😅

Cheers

• Leamucho
    Leamucho Member Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Hi, you all, long time Absynth fan, although not very connected to the communities of it all...

As I found about the dropping, It gets to my mind NI should consider not giving the software they don't care about anymore for free, but instead, release them open, Floss, with a heavy copyleft on not being able to make any money from it whatsoever... maybe just dreaming, but in terms of people or the market telling NI that customers just want easy stuff, to keep on, on the Geeky side would be something only a few would be willing to do like Reaktor gurus, or the actual Brian Clevinger...

So thumbs up for Absynth FLOSS!

just think about what happened to supercollider in its time...

• IQMusic
    IQMusic Member Posts: 92 Helper
    edited June 2023
    Options

Ahh jeez how about FM8 ? I haven’t used Absynth 5 much but I will be check it out.

• Aymara
    Aymara Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Ideal solution for NI and the user base would be to sell Absynth, so that the new owner can start development.

But I fear, it wouldn't be easy to find a buyer, because Absynth is pretty complex and the needed development effort is huge ... the GUI alone is totally outdated compared to newer synths like Arturia Pigments for example.

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,775 mod
    edited March 12
    Options

Yeah I don’t think that’s likely, unfortunately Absynth probably has a lot of legacy and priorietary code and a new developer would probably have to completely rewrite it, and would probably consider it easier just to make a new plugin than figure out a probably convoluted and unfamiliar code base (unless it went back to its original developer Brian Clevinger, who would know it better, and who now fronts Rhizomatic - which is actually the original company that sold it to NI)

I guess it has value as a brand name though - Absynth is too clever a name for such a ‘strange’ synth to go unused

• sijarvis
    sijarvis Member Posts: 8 Member
    Options

The bit I don't understand is why they had to discontinue Absynth when they're unable to update Massive X. Brian Clevinger was willing to update it and would have made an excellent job, seeing as it was his baby and it would have filled the gap until MX was given a proper upgrade.

• iNate
    iNate Member Posts: 169 Advisor
    edited March 23
    Options

Why would NI pay Brian Clevinger to update an application that they derive basically no income from? Why are you people acting like he doesn't have his own agenda for "offering" to update it. He won't work for free, and NI won't pay money to update a product that doesn't deliver anything to their bottom line (or serve as an anchor for any other product).

It's dead and it's never coming back. It doesn't even make sense to bring it back. Have you looked at the software synth market, lately?

I also think that Native Instruments is pivoting a bit away from standalone synths like Massive X and will likely try to move most of their innovations and work in that area towards Kontakt itself. Wholistically speaking, I think Massive X was a waste. They should have put all of that expertise and work toward turning Kontakt 7 into a Synth + Sampler workstation, like HALion and Falcon.

• iNate
    Options

I think a lot of the code would be able to be brought over. It would still have to be ported to Apple ARM CPUs, though. And the entire UI framework and graphics would have to be redone.

But it will do little to nothing to get people to buy the synth.

The core issue Absynth had wasn't that it was old.

It was that very few people care about it, much less wanted to pay for it. Most people getting Komplete Bundles are likely ignoring it, as well. NI does have some usage data on this, so their decision is a lot more informed than people's issues with that decision.

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,775 mod
    edited March 23
    Options

Why would NI pay Brian Clevinger to update an application that they derive basically no income from? Why are you people acting like he doesn't have his own agenda for "offering" to update it. He won't work for free, and NI won't pay money to update a product that doesn't deliver anything to their bottom line (or serve as an anchor for any other product).

I'm not really sure how it is possible for NI to really know that given many, if not most, people buy one of the Komplete Bundles, not individual products, because it is just much more cost effective to do so.

So to NI sales how can they really tell if the buyer is someone like me who bought Komplete primarily for the synths and effects (and for me Absynth was definitely one of the top 3 products in making that choice) and considers 80% of the sample libs and 90% of the Play series and Expansions to be filler, and someone who bought Komplete for the sample libs or Play series and don't care about Reaktor or Absynth? Yeah they probably weren't getting any or many standalone Absynth sales but I would not be surprised if that wasn't also the case with Reaktor or even Kontakt given you can get Komplete on sale for close to the standalone price of either of these.

• iNate
    edited March 24
    Options

Because the software defaults to sharing User Data to NI on installation, and many people don't bother to look and turn that off. It's why so many companies set "Agree" as the default.

So, any time they load Absynth as a plug-in or in Komplete Kontrol, the plug-in is likely sharing that usage to Native Instruments.

Given the size of their user base, the sample size that they're getting is likely quite relevant and usable for that purpose.

Nothing else you wrote really matters at all, honestly, and I don't mean that in a mean way. It just literally doesn't. We can sit on a forum and manufacture all the excuses possible (cope) to try to justify them wasting money like this, but at the end of the day the numbers do not lie to them.

Absynth became irrelevant long before they discontinued it. The only reason why most people were acquiring it was due to the bundling - and the vast majority didn't use it.

We don't see any huge rush of users coming here asking to have Absynth added to their accounts because they bought Komplete 14 and it didn't bundle that synth. We only see a few legacy users complaining that it has been dropped.

So, investing heavily in its development and then obligating yourself to continued support of it (read: increased costs, both in future development and customer support) makes ZERO sense for them.