Time to set Absynth 5 free

Options

Comments

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,300 Expert
    Options

Do you know what’s the difference? That Nintendo worked hard to make new Marios always better (graphically, in gameplay,…) and therefore they KNOW people will be interested in buying the new ones. Some others just hope that blocking access to older products will make people buy new ones (that provide very little innovations, but you are forced to buy them cause you can’t use the ones you already bought anymore). And…they are right…you’ll have to buy them

• Kaldosh
    Kaldosh Member Posts: 342 Advisor
    edited May 2023
    Options

Whatever they decide they won’t be able to put the blame on anyone else but themselves according to their own company policy along the years period.

• LostInFoundation
    Options

Do you think? They already blamed having to adapt to Mac new os for not having improved nothing else for more than one year

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,778 mod
    edited May 2023
    Options

You mean apart from VST3 across the board (including transitioning their entire NKS ecosystem from VST2 to VST3), resizable interface for Kontakt 7 (yes I know a WIP), Kontakt 7 itself, VST3 SDK for NKS, migration support for VST2 to VST3 based NKS...

• LostInFoundation
    edited May 2023
    Options

Yes. I mean exactly this. I mean REAL improvement, not due things that ALL other companies have already done sooner and faster.

Probably we have a different opinion on what an improvement is 😉

Kontakt 7 for example…it hasn’t changed a bit, exception made for a browser with bigger icons. Something that should have been there looooong time ago. Is this even an improvement?

Btw…the sad thing is that half the things you mention have been done…poorly…vst2 to vst3 migration support? Seriously? With all the problems users are having after they worked on it for one year? Let’s face it…we are NI betatesters…

As for Native Access… “we worked for 8 month just to make access 5 sec faster”…and what has been released is the mess NA is now? With people who can’t even register their products? And if they are lucky enough, then they can’t install them? And if they are lucky enough a second time, once installed they don’t work?

Making a product like Kontakt 7 with just a new browser and then putting out new instruments that don’t work on Kontakt 6 is not improving it, is finding a way to force users to buy another product instead of using what they already paid for

Points of view…

• Kymeia
    edited May 2023
    Options

Actually the VST2 to 3 transition was handled brilliantly given the sheer complexity of the process and level of difficulty. NKS was completely dependent on VST2 from the start and NI managed, somehow, to extricate themselves from that and very carefully manage the transition process. There were always bound to be problems along the way, particularly with third party plugins, but I think people underestimate how well they have untangled what was a complete mess at the beginning.

As for Kontakt 7 - as I said the work in going on but they laid the foundation with the release - next version people will see bigger changes (pun intended).

• LostInFoundation
    edited May 2023
    Options

Well…in facts…you’re right. I don’t want to underestimate everything they’ve done.

But…if how you say people will see changements in the next version, they could have avoided to charge for this one too. Or to force people to buy it by making their new instruments Kontakt 6 incompatible

My point was just to underline the different point of view we have on “improvements”.

VST3, browsers…how these things changed the way you make music? In the end (even if a due move), before I was loading something called vst2 and now I’m loading something called vst3. A name changement for the users, not something that changes how they use them/ what they can do with them.

THIS for me is improvements

• Kymeia
    edited May 2023
    Options

VST3, browsers…how these things changed the way you make music? In the end (even if a due move), before I was loading something called vst2 and now I’m loading something called vst3.

Well for a start it meant I could finally use and control (via NKS mappings) a whole bunch of plugins that only exist in VST3 and AU on Mac as so many plugins have gradually dropped support for VST2 (or never did) - including all Steinberg plugins like Halion and Padshop, and some of my favourite third party plugins such as Plasmonic, Reason Rack and Surge XT, even Synapse have now dropped VST2 on Mac. That for me is pretty big as it opens up a whole new area to explore musically.

More importantly I think the long term sustainability of NKS as platform was really dependent on making the transition to VST3, without having done that it was dying on the vine, largely due to the move away from VST2 (even on Windows although more gradually there) and Steinberg pulling the rug from under everyone's feet there. So I am glad they have laid the groundwork for long term growth. Together with the transition to HDPI and Apple Silicon all this work may seem like a distraction to you, and I agree it did lead to a slowdown of other development for a while, but to me it means I can have some confidence the tools I use are going to continue to be developed and I'm hoping that will mean more development in areas that please everyone.

• LostInFoundation
    Options

Fair points.

But I never said these things should not be done. What I’m saying is that every other company had to face them (like the adaptation to Mac OS) but they did it AND they continued development. Maybe it’s time for NI to hire new people (so they can work on both fields), not to fire people

• Kymeia
    edited May 2023
    Options

No other company had quite the set of challenges NI did because not only do they make both plugins and hosts, but also they are the only company who have created such a tightly integrated ecosystem based around NKS (which was also open to a huge amount of third party companies). All of which was based entirely around VST2 until a couple of years ago when they started gradually testing the waters with VST3, starting with a test plugin - Super 8. They had to ensure the change would happen in all their plugins while at the same time making sure NKS didn't completely break and making it possible for third party plugins to migrate. They did that as well as they could - making sure not only their own plugins migrated - which tbh I thought for a long time it seemed that was all they would do - but then they were persuaded to see the benefits of opening this up to third party VST3 so they also created a framework to allow third party plugins to migrate - no mean feat.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,790 Expert
    edited May 2023
    Options

Beside AS transition, VST3 and K7. There was also development on Traktor and Maschine 2. Also few things on Guitar Rig, Native Access, Komplete Kontrol, .....

And beside that we do not know, what is prepared. There might be Traktor 4 and Maschine 3 in final stage of works...

• Kaldosh
    Kaldosh Member Posts: 342 Advisor
    Options
  • Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,790 Expert
    edited May 2023
    Options

@LostInFoundation

Mac users should be happy SW companies did not charge them for AS transition... And no, it is not just simple update for a new OS version. And should not to blame NI that not much other development has happened in the mean time, on top....

What should say poor Win users? They share the cost of AS transition, get nothing and have to listen from Mac users how NI is slow in AS transition and so...

• LostInFoundation
    Options

Believe me: this is not a problem at all. The less you think, the less problems you’ll have 👍🏼