Criteria to make licenses eligible for transfer/sale?

Peter Harris
Peter Harris Member Posts: 470 Pro
edited February 2022 in Komplete General

Not sure if this question has been asked and answered before but if it has I couldn't find it so I thought I'd try asking it myself. (If it has been, please accept my apologies in advance.)

Ever since buying my Maschine Plus in the last year, I have been enthusiastically buying into the NI ecosystem, first buying several expansions independently. (BRAVO to NI for building a system that permits paid license transfers between individuals! Very cool!) Then I bought a K13 Select to Standard upgrade to further feed my growing instrument and expansion addiction (getting me quite a few more I didn't have yet as well some duplicates). Then I bought a bunch more expansions independently through this site and others. And now I'm considering biting the bullet for a K13 Collector's Ultimate upgrade, which will get me a whole pile of expansions I don't have yet and also quite a few I already do.

I have even successfully dipped my toe into reselling a couple of my duplicate licenses but I am unclear on why some of them registered to my account are transferable and others are not. Fortunately I can clearly see on the license transfer page which are which but if I do buy the mega K13UCE upgrade, I am hoping that any of the expansions I acquire that way I will be able to resell when I have the same ones already in my collection even if the ones I currently own are not transferable. (And furthermore what the situation will be with those duplicates I inevitably buy with the K14UCE upgrade.)

So can anyone help me understand what my situation will be with my existing and impending licenses as far as resale? I love your system and I want to play by the rules but also know whether I may be able to resell any extra expansions I already own that come with the new upgrades but don't want to keep or already have previous purchases. Does that make any sense?

Best Answer

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓

Generally one may resell Licences bought separately and not resell Licences bundled with hardware or given for free or marked NFR.

If you buy an upgrade you must keep the underlying licence. In your case you got K13S (and Maschine 2, and sometimes few expansins/extras) with M+, later on bought K13 Upgrade and now thinking buying K13U CE Upgrade. And also bought Expansions, etc.

So, you must keep K13S (and Maschine 2, ...) and K13 Upgrade as a base products for K13U CE.

But you may sell individually bought expansions or plugins. They should be marked as Transferable. But because of some reason, for 3 (I guess) months after registration they are marked as Non Transferable. It does not mean that one may not transfer them, but that it cannot ne transferred automatically, but one has to ask NI for Transfer and it is done manually.

Answers

• Kubrak
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓

Generally one may resell Licences bought separately and not resell Licences bundled with hardware or given for free or marked NFR.

If you buy an upgrade you must keep the underlying licence. In your case you got K13S (and Maschine 2, and sometimes few expansins/extras) with M+, later on bought K13 Upgrade and now thinking buying K13U CE Upgrade. And also bought Expansions, etc.

So, you must keep K13S (and Maschine 2, ...) and K13 Upgrade as a base products for K13U CE.

But you may sell individually bought expansions or plugins. They should be marked as Transferable. But because of some reason, for 3 (I guess) months after registration they are marked as Non Transferable. It does not mean that one may not transfer them, but that it cannot ne transferred automatically, but one has to ask NI for Transfer and it is done manually.

• Peter Harris

Thanks for the clarification. Much appreciated. But I'm still not clear whether I can sell the individual expansions I don't want from the K13UCE upgrade if I buy it.

• Kubrak

You cannot sell expansions from K13UCE, or any bundle. They are all included in one licence.

You may sell expansions that you have bought individually.

And concerning K13UCE Upgrade. If you are not in hurry, there will most probably be a Summer Sale in June. And discounts used to be 50%. And another thing... New release usually comes every 2 years. So, there might be K14UCE in September 2022....

• Peter Harris
    edited February 2022

Your suggestions are much appreciated. I'll try to hold out a little longer. 😉

Thanks for the clarification on not being able to sell expansions from within bundles because believe it or not I didn't understand that before. But now that I think about it and re-read your answers I guess I should have guessed that because otherwise it would incentivize users to buy the bundles then part them out reselling the components.

So now that I understand better, I have another question: I am realizing in retrospect that I have purchased some expansions that duplicate ones I already owned in my NI licensed purchases but basically forgot that they were already mine. I think this happened because when I was away without access to my laptop and hence Native Access app couldn't look up whether they were among my Installed or Not Installed list and instead used the list of my licenses on the NI web site. And as far as I know even the Native Access app doesn't list whether you own more than one license for any particular product. So... is there some relatively easy way for me to see which individual products and (for me most importantly) expansions are included in my purchased licenses as well as which I own independently so I can figure out which ones I purchased independently are duplicates (and thus can safely resell without losing access to them on my computer via Maschine 2 and my Maschine Plus? It would also make it easier to weigh prospective upgrade purchases so I know more easily which products I already have licensed access to?

Sorry if this is getting too granular but as always I really appreciate your help and that of the entire NI team who make all this great stuff and have built the whole amazing ecosystem.

• Kubrak

Here you have what is included in Komplete 13 bundles. To you applies Komplete 13.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/bundles/komplete-13/compare/

So, compare K13 list and individual licences on your account. You may sell duplicates anywhere. There is also Buy and Sell thread on this forum.

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,523 admin

Is there some relatively easy way for me to see which individual products and (for me most importantly) expansions are included in my purchased licenses as well as which I own independently so I can figure out which ones I purchased independently are duplicates and thus can safely resell

Hey @Peter Harris if you head to https://www.native-instruments.com/en/my-account/license-transfer/request-for-transfer/

You should see a list of all the products you own. If they are marked as "Not transferable", that means you can't resell them. The expansions you bought individually however should have a checkbox under the Transfer column. Those are the ones you can resell. Hope this answers your question!

• Kubrak

But there is that aproximately 3 months' period in which SW that may be transfered is marked as Non Transferable. And one has to ask NI support for manual licence transfer.

• Kaiwan_NI

yeah that's true. I just assumed the OP bought those individual expansions a while ago. so yup contact support all the way if they were bought for less than 3 months.

• Peter Harris

So just to confirm: considering that I have multiple Komplete bundles (versions of 9, 11 and 13) is the only way for me to know which specific expansions I am licensed for across all these is to go through the web site and manually cross-reference the bundle components against my separately purchased expansions? And I don't see any way of seeing what the included products and expansions were for those previous versions of Komplete other than the current version. Do you see my dilemma? This seems very clumsy.

• Kaiwan_NI

@Peter Harris For now it looks to me that you have bought around 20 expansions individually and those are good for a resell. Do they show up on your account as transferable?

Hold up need to re-read your post again to understand the dilemma here.

• Peter Harris

Yes, that sounds about right, 20ish available for transfer currently and another 20 or so that haven't yet been approved for resale because they are within the 3-month window.

But that still leaves me with the same dilemma that I can't figure out whether there are any duplicates among the ones that are eventually transferable and ones that I own via bundles and other purchases (for example, ones that I got with my purchase of Maschine+ which I think included five or so plus a voucher for another one). Basically I was hoping your system would show you any expansions which I own two of even if only one is transferable.

Also, were there any non-transferable expansion licenses that I acquired in my purchases of K9U and K11U? I am new to the NI ecosystem so I don't know whether those include an expansions or not.

Sorry this is proving to be so complicated and I really appreciate your efforts to help me resolve my questions. 😁

• Kaiwan_NI

@Peter Harris

All expansions in the bundle are non-transferable, as Kubrak pointed out:

You cannot sell expansions from K13UCE, or any bundle. They are all included in one licence.

Generally speaking, since they're all included in one license, you won't be able to see the duplicates from your account unfortunately. However, note that K9U and K11U were released before NI started releasing expansions so I think it's safe to say you don't own expansions from those purchases.

NI started including expansions in Komplete bundles only from K12 in 2018.

• Kubrak

@Peter Harris

It is realatively simple.

1) Look at your NI account and make a list of your individual Expansions. Any Expansion you have bought is listed as individual.

2) Cross out Expansions that were bundled with HW. Sometimes NI added few individual Expansions with HW purchase. (They are most probably marked as Non Transferable.)

3) Also purchases in last 3 months will be marked Non Transferable. It is possible to transfer them even within 3 months' period, but one has to open a ticket for manual licence transfer. If you are not in hurry, it is easier to wait and let pass 3 months' period.

4) Compare resulting list of your individual Expanlion list eligible for transfer and cross out those that are not included in most current bundle you have (and you want to keep them). And you have a list for sale.

And it is probably better to make individual Transfer requests. One for each Expansion. It is unprobable one person would want all what you want to sell.