Oscillator Pitch Input - Frequency to Note

six7
six7 Member Posts: 10 Member
edited February 2023 in Building With Reaktor

Hello all,

I'm a bit confused here. I have a simple Sine Osc that I'm wanting to control with exact frequencies. For example, I want the osc to output 200hz so with a fader/knob I dial in a value of 200. However the Pitch input for the osc says it is a logarithmic control for the frequency where 0 equals c2 or a frequency of 8.18hz with an accepted range between 0-127. Therefore using an input of 200 would not even be a valid number and a value of something like 55 would need to be used for the osc to output a 200hz sine wave.

What are my options here?

The only two outcomes I can see here are performing a math conversion from frequency to the musical note to accomplish this or that it is just not possible in Reaktor.

Is there a way to accomplish this or do I need to look at options outside of Reaktor ?

Comments

• six7

Seems like something that should be simple to accomplish but I couldn't find a solution with the amount of time I wanted to invest in this. I've resorted to building in Max as it is much easier.

Still interested to know if there is a way to do this as I may revisit Reaktor and build the device within Reaktor to see which platform is best for my idea. If anyone knows of a way I would appreciate some insight on this.

Thanks!

• ANDREW221231
    ANDREW221231 Member Posts: 295 Advisor

the primary math module Log (f) does this, converts from frequency to pitch. the Exp (f) does the opposite

these modules also have a corresponding core version which is simply called f 2 p, or p 2 f

• ANDREW221231

also, if you want control a primary oscillator with only frequency, the pitch needs to be set to about -250

• six7

Thanks for the info, I'll check it out !!

• Michael O'Hagan
    Michael O'Hagan Member Posts: 93 Helper

I was always under the impression that is was -300 disabled the pitch input all together.

• ANDREW221231

it's kinda like asking how many negative decibels is equal to a zero amplitude (there isnt one, one could always have a lower noise floor)

.-250 and -300 both approach 0hz, and both will work just fine, be interesting to see if there's measurable difference

the real move is to ditch the primary oscillators altogether for core library ones