Future Maschine Studio MK2?

Comments

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod

That would be cool too altho at that size the price would probably fall into the MK3 territory, and for that to be a thing it would have to stand on it's own instead of just being a 'companion / extender' which didn't work out so well for Jam.

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,966 mod

The second device could also have small screens like on the A49 to just show track names and stuff, there are many possible ways, if i think more and more about it. You could also make two devices with one screen each, and together they are next to each other, but then one has to be left device the other right device so screens are in the middle, if you work with one screen we just need a knob to set - show left/right screen, this would integrate without changing something in the software, it then shows just what you would see on MK3 on the left screen or the right screen, of course knobs and buttons go with it

Uwe

• Staykool
    Staykool Member Posts: 72 Helper

Great idea

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

I would like Jam Mk2 with longer touchstripes and small displays to ease orientation. Maybe velocity sensitive pads. And duplicit keys removed. It would not be intended as standalone.

Studio extension would do in the scale as D-One suggested, for me.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited February 2022

Just to be clear that wasn't really a 'real' suggestion, I didn't put much thought into that, I'm not qualified to be out here pretending to be an HW designer. 😁

It was just an example with a quick 2min mockup for fun - What I like is the idea of overall smaller cheap hardware add-ons that add functionality to the flagship or allow more things to be operated or seen at a given time, proving more hands-on control. Heck... I would probably have bought a Traktor F1 if it would have access to MAS dedicated functions... But then again more HW wont fix any real issues.

• Olihop
    Olihop Member Posts: 152 Advisor

The idea of an add-on module is interesting but for me the ideal would be a maschine that is closer to the push2 format with more buttons and pads. Such a maschine would allow a much more extensive workflow and possibilities.

There are no 36 solutions, either they release an add-on or they will have to enlarge the maschine format to integrate more buttons and make things easier, or they add a touch screen. But all of this will probably require a bit of rethinking of the current workflow.

At this point I really can't figure out what a future mk4 maschine will look like.

• Kubrak

If you compare MK1, Mk2, MK3 you see smaller or bigger improvements. But the form factor is the same and functionality as well... So, I hope Mk4 will be yet another improvement of what already is.

Push like funcionality gives you Maschine Jam. More or less.... Mk3 + Jam make good pair. And something like D-One´s sketch of Studio Expansion Block might be nice....

• tribepop
    tribepop Member Posts: 160 Advisor

Nah they need to focus on improving the software at this point IMO. The MK3 is a beautiful piece of gear that is powerful but it kind of defeats the purpose if you’re not using it natively in the Maschine app. A lot of people like to run it as a plugin within another DAW which is cool that you can do that but kind of undermines what Maschine should be capable of. I for one would love to have the ability to generate midi from an instrument and route that to other devices in Maschine. I would also love to have better performance improvements (multi-threading/core support like Live).

• Kubrak

Maschine SW (standalone) has multithreading. It creates at least 16 threads on my PC. But maybe it runs only in one thread as plugin...

I agree, it would be nice if Maschine SW is improved. But it is not going to bring much money, if the updates are for free. I guess new (paid) version of Maschine might come around the time Maschine+ Mk2 comes.

• J-Fly
    J-Fly Member Posts: 3 Member

The first time I saw the MK3, I thought that was the replacement for the Studio in a smaller footprint.

• Staykool

I get it

But the main reason is I love the extra buttons on the Studio like cut past and the big scroll bar. No need to push shift all the time.

• Staykool
    edited February 2022

That Mockup D-1 did is great. That would actually sell big. You could place it on either side of the unit and it adds additional functionality. If they price it in the $200 range that thing would fly off the shelf. You have to figure at least half the people who own Macshine would get it.

• Kubrak

I agree. Maybe not half, but third, quarter pretty sure. I would buy it even for 300 EUR. Sold my Studio and kept Mk3 and that Extension.

I do not see MK3 as replacement for Studio. I have the both and prefer Studio. I use Mk3, only when travelling...

• Olihop
    Olihop Member Posts: 152 Advisor

What I would appreciate for a new maschine or module is a dedicated column of buttons to trigger snapshots or scene/pattern or note-repeat independently of the pads.

It annoys me to have to get out of pad mode to have to do these manipulations.