Are you guys aware of Reddit?

ShelLuser
ShelLuser Member Posts: 240 Pro

Hi gang!

Wow... this has been a rather eventful week for me and one which most certainly will leave its effects on my home studio... I somewhat stopped using Reason and instead shifted my attention to FL Studio. Having worked with Reason next to Live for most of the last 10 years... I really need to stop venting I think but it has left its marks. That's what happens if you're passionate about the whole thing.

Thing is, this started on Reddit.

Which has a rather disputable reputation I think, I know I didn't really treat the whole thing serious at first but then I discovered r/synthesizer, r/ableton, r/fl_studio but ... wait for it... You guys are a thing too: r/NativeInstruments?!

And that reputation? My take? I can't help wonder if people who are having an issue are also those who have a problem when others disagree with them. Because, yah: you can downvote posts on Reddit. And I am the nutjob who prides himself with a lot of positive karma as well as plenty of negative votings on posts. You can't please everyone and trying to uphold such a fantasy? I don't think that works out.

But yeah, in case you didn't know already: that subreddit exists and there are plenty of cool and knowledgeable people roaming there too.

As mentioned above... it was a (now) Reddit friend who pointed my attention back to FL Studio (I knew this ever since 9.7 and that AWESOME introduction video! Fall Silently folks :-)). Even got that track fully legit as payment for a Max for Live patch I made / sold :-)

I digress ;-)

Still, figured I'd throw it into the group here...

Comments

• Simchris
    Simchris Member Posts: 211 Advisor

Are you aware of spaghetti? Tastes great. Messy. ๐Ÿ˜

• Nico_NI
    Nico_NI Administrator Posts: 1,124 admin
    edited January 2022

Reddit can definitely be a great source of knowledge for producers. You can find a subreddit for basically every genre as well as music tech brands with lots of tips and tricks.

Maybe we'll crash there with an official NI channel at some point! ๐Ÿค 

• Matt_NI
    Matt_NI Administrator Posts: 1,106 admin

Disclaimer but the NI sub-reddit is obviously not something we run ourselves.

I'm lurking around the NI one though, amongst other more fun place on Reddit ๐Ÿ˜‚

• Paule
    Paule Member Posts: 1,328 Expert
    edited January 2022

@Nico NI wrote

Maybe we'll crash there with an official NI channel at some point!

IMHO too much advertisings in the r/NativeInstruments

• Nico_NI
    Nico_NI Administrator Posts: 1,124 admin

@Paule Do you mean the Reddit advertisements? They're all over the platform and quite annoying indeed.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,530 Expert

What is this Reddit people speak of? Is it some kind of high class place for intelligent discussions like Community Band radios?

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,523 admin

Why so much hate for Redditors @JesterMgee ๐Ÿ˜† Need to know which subreddits you usually hang around cause in my experience they're pretty chill?

• NeonBlackCat
    NeonBlackCat Member Posts: 40 Member

Reddit is definitely more chill than other social platforms, but oh my, thereโ€™s for sure much drama and petty feuds in there! :/

But I keep going there if I wanna know something.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,530 Expert
    edited January 2022

Nah, I don't hang out on Reddit or any of the anti-Social platforms really, no time for that at all and my first experience it was more a wild west of egos than early days of GS. For all I know it may have changed and also may be dependant on the discussions but the few googles I have made seems it's just opinionated jerks battling over superiority half the time.... basically like the comment section of Youtube or any Facebook post about anything.

• nico5
    nico5 Member Posts: 49 Helper

On some platforms, there are significant differences in quality between channels, sub-reddits or whatever the groupings on that platform may be. Generally, the larger the group/channel/subsection, the more it deteriorates. Of course, some are ****** even while small.

Some smaller groups or channels can be quite informative and rewarding - at least for a while.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited February 2022

It really depends on the subreddit, on those with more mature audiences the upvote thing gets rid of trolls and toxic people fairly well... on others it might reward not-so-appropriate behavior, overall I do feel like people that just want to argue for no reason end up unavoidably with bad karma, so you can know at a glance who you shouldn't be interacting with for your own sanity, that cool to me. I personally really hate the idea of an internet that only has a "Like" button, like the approach Youtube decided to adopt recently... borrowed from IG, Facebook, and whatever else.

I find it the fastest place to get an answer to random questions altho the knowledge level of replies has a much wider range than on the typical forum. As far as jokes go, it's pretty amazing. I use it for my more niche-based interests outside of music.