Transfer my user library to another computer

gamaliwa
gamaliwa Member Posts: 30 Member

Hello, I work sometimes on my laptop when I travel, I would like to transfer my user library from my main computer to my laptop

Any idea ? I am on Windows 11

Thanks

Best Answers

• ShelLuser
    ShelLuser Member Posts: 240 Pro
    Answer ✓

Best solution is to simply install Native Access on there, log into your account and then download & install whatever you need. Problem is that it's not just your library but there are also registry keys as well as "system control files" which have to be reinstalled as well. For example "C:\ProgramData\Native Instruments", stuff like that.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,535 Expert
    Answer ✓

These are stored in ..\Documents\Native Instruments\User Content

All you need to do is copy this location to the same location on another PC and that's it.

Answers

• ShelLuser
    ShelLuser Member Posts: 240 Pro
    Answer ✓

Best solution is to simply install Native Access on there, log into your account and then download & install whatever you need. Problem is that it's not just your library but there are also registry keys as well as "system control files" which have to be reinstalled as well. For example "C:\ProgramData\Native Instruments", stuff like that.

• gamaliwa
    gamaliwa Member Posts: 30 Member

I think I didn't write the question well. I was talking about the user library, meaning the specific presets that I "saved as ..."

• JesterMgee
    Answer ✓

These are stored in ..\Documents\Native Instruments\User Content

All you need to do is copy this location to the same location on another PC and that's it.

• nelligan tetrault
    nelligan tetrault Member Posts: 31 Member

Hello Jester, are you positive that EVERYTHING "user related" is in that folder by default ?(C:\Users\name\Documents\Native Instruments\User Content\Kontakt\Syntht ?

Just to test, I've tried saving a couple of different vst's (some that I don't use and are in their default stat), and it seems some will point at random place by default:

DRUMLAB - ) (C:\Users\name\Documents\C:\Users\Public\Documents\Drum Lab\Instruments\Single Instruments\Percussion

REAKTOR : (C:\Users\name\Documents

(not in the NI folder precisly^^)

Is it just messed up on my pc or..? IF that's not the case, one would need to be careful and look at different place for back up purposes

• JesterMgee

Hello Jester, are you positive that EVERYTHING "user related" is in that folder by default

Well personally when I save anything out of somewhere I always check and make sure I know where it is saving and instead of having every app blindly save things wherever it likes, I make actual folders where I save things important to me... so I know where things are so I don't ahve this kind of issue, I am making an educate guess so if you have concerns, do as you have done and note down every possible location and copy all of these.

Again, personally I would simply make a backup of the whole documents locations then after installing the software on a new machine/location if I noted anything missing I would check and copy it from a backup. HDDs are dirt cheap, I don't know why people don't simply backup everything when they do things like this, then there is no need to worry.