How can I record or add effects to vocals in KK?

bjg123
bjg123 Member Posts: 23 Member

Excuse me if this is a really silly question but... normally I record vocals straight on to a track in my DAW and I've never thought of getting KK involved in the process. But today I wanted to use KK VST to add effects to a vocal track I had. BUT... you can't add an effect in the plug-in chain unless you have an instrument VST. So I thought I would be clever and have some silent VST like the 'sampler' or 'audio' module and then add my FX, comp, EQ etc. But nothing happened, no FX added to my vocals. So I came to the conclusion that the vocal track has to be 'inside' KK to begin with. I did then drag the vocal WAV file from its folder on to the sampler - and then the FX worked - but this seems very unwieldy. So, the questions are: Can you record vocals directly into KK, if so how, and is it worth the trouble?

The reasons I'd like to try this are - it means I can use all the lovely knobs on my S88 rather than the mouse for changing parameters and I can try out NI fx like Solid Dynamics on vocals.

As I say, please excuse me if this is a ridiculous question!

Best Answer

• Brad Yost
    Brad Yost Member Posts: 350 Pro
    Answer ✓

Record the vocal into a track in your DAW, then put the EFX plugins into the FX rack for that track. The S88 should be able to control the parameters in the FX plugin if your DAW allows focus from the keyboard.

Answers

• Brad Yost
    Brad Yost Member Posts: 350 Pro
    Answer ✓

Record the vocal into a track in your DAW, then put the EFX plugins into the FX rack for that track. The S88 should be able to control the parameters in the FX plugin if your DAW allows focus from the keyboard.

• bjg123
    bjg123 Member Posts: 23 Member

Hi Brad, thanks for this. This was what I was doing for vocals until I stared wondering about KK possibilities. I have Reaper DAW and will try sorting out parameters within that again. By the way, is EFX different from FX?

Best wishes,

Bernard