Cue information saving and moving between Traktor and Serato

Asemblance
Asemblance Member Posts: 1 Member

Hi all,

I am relatively new to this scene, trying to learn to mix on a Traktor S2 deck I bought a few months ago. Just started to get the hang of it, but have since left the country to go backpacking for a few months.

I bought myself a tiny little portable DJ controller to take with me, which doesn't run on Traktor Pro easily, but is native to Serato.

I understand that when you make cue points on a track, it saves them to the mp3 itself. But my question is - do these cue points translate back and forth between software? And if I start messing around in Serato with tracks which I previously set up in Traktor, then get home and move back to Traktor again, will it have overwritten or damaged any of the information I saved in Traktor?

Thanks for any advice!

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,523 admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @Asemblance Traktor does not support importing Serato's cue points unfortunately!

• MixMasterG
    MixMasterG Member Posts: 2 Member
    Answer ✓

Each DJ software uses its own proprietary way of storing DJ metadata such as cues, loops, grid/BPM, playlist(s) etc. If you want to go from one DJ software to another, you'll need conversion software.

Your original DJ software (Traktor) and its tracks are unchanged by this procedure. You can use the free demo version of Serato as target. After conversion, the same audio files are used with the same cues etc in both the original and the target (Serato) software. Only when DJ metadata is changed in one of them, conversion is required again. On macOS you can use the DJ Conversion Utility (DJCU).

Conversion from Traktor to Serato or from Serato to Traktor with DJCU is a 2 step process:

1) Convert from either Traktor or Serato to a Rekordbox.xml (you don't need to have Rekordbox, but while it it I advise you to use the free preparation version of Rekordbox 6, so you got that covered too)

2) Convert the Rekordbox.xml produced in step 1 to either Serato or Traktor here is the tutorial Conversion to Serato, Traktor, djay or Virtual DJ using the DJ Conversion Utility (DJCU) [macOS]

Answers

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,523 admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @Asemblance Traktor does not support importing Serato's cue points unfortunately!

• MixMasterG
    MixMasterG Member Posts: 2 Member
    Answer ✓

Each DJ software uses its own proprietary way of storing DJ metadata such as cues, loops, grid/BPM, playlist(s) etc. If you want to go from one DJ software to another, you'll need conversion software.

Your original DJ software (Traktor) and its tracks are unchanged by this procedure. You can use the free demo version of Serato as target. After conversion, the same audio files are used with the same cues etc in both the original and the target (Serato) software. Only when DJ metadata is changed in one of them, conversion is required again. On macOS you can use the DJ Conversion Utility (DJCU).

Conversion from Traktor to Serato or from Serato to Traktor with DJCU is a 2 step process:

1) Convert from either Traktor or Serato to a Rekordbox.xml (you don't need to have Rekordbox, but while it it I advise you to use the free preparation version of Rekordbox 6, so you got that covered too)

2) Convert the Rekordbox.xml produced in step 1 to either Serato or Traktor here is the tutorial Conversion to Serato, Traktor, djay or Virtual DJ using the DJ Conversion Utility (DJCU) [macOS]

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,214 Expert

Can't you map the new controller to Traktor?

Anyhow, besides MixMasterGs DJCU there is also https://www.lexicondj.com/