Kontakt Player Banks and Programs?

Melwich
Melwich Member Posts: 4 Newcomer
edited August 2022 in Kontakt

Hi,

I´m new in Kontakt Player. I want to use it live on stage. But I can´t find a funtion, where I can manage my banks and programs. Is there in Kontakt any possibility? Or need I an other additional software? Btw, in my old System I had 52 Sounds in 4 banks. 

thx and best regards

Chris

Tagged:

Best Answer

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,022 mod
    Answer ✓

You would use instrument banks in Kontakt. Then you send MIDI Program Change message from your MIDI controller to change patches.

Answers

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert

Can you elaborate a little more on Managing the banks and programs...specifically a use case scenario would be helpful in determining if what you want to do is possible...sorry for not understanding exactly what you mean...

• Melwich
    edited August 2022

Hi Blindeddie,

ok, before Kontakt I used Brainspawn forte. For example, in Brainspawn if I had need my Piano-Sound I push the button "B1" for Bank 1 and the Programm Button 5 for my present 5. 

Now I´m searching in Kontakt for this possibility

• Melwich
    edited August 2022

By the way, on my master keyboard I have 5 keys (B1-B5) that I use for bank switch and 10 other keys that I use for program numbers. So I can switch 50 programs directly

• EvilDragon
    Answer ✓

You would use instrument banks in Kontakt. Then you send MIDI Program Change message from your MIDI controller to change patches.

• Melwich
    edited August 2022

Hi @EvilDragon yes, but where in Kontakt can I write the MSB/LSB for Bank number and Program Change number?

• stephen24
    stephen24 Member Posts: 276 Pro

Assuming your B buttons send cc#0 messages on channel 1 and your P buttons send Program Change messages on channel 1 (you should check this) -

It's a bit complicated because scripts don't deal with PC messages and multisripts can't access CC values

but try this.

Set up your 5 banks as described in the manual, with 10 instruments in each.

Give each bank the same channel number - the one your keyboard is sending.

In each instrument, set Edit All Groups and then set Group Start Options to cc#0 is between x and x (x being a different value from your keyboard for each Bank.)

Each instrument then will only play if it has the PC number within its bank, and cc#0 is the right value

• EvilDragon
    edited August 2022

Multiscripts absolutely CAN access CC values! A number of factory multiscripts do exactly that. Multiscripts can process practically any MIDI message except sysex and meta messages (transport, running status, song position, etc).

There is totally no need to edit the instruments at all or change Group Start Options! Instead:

1. Create 5 instrument banks and make sure they are all on separate MIDI channels (i.e. 1 through 5)
    2. Make sure your MIDI controller is set to send only on MIDI channel 1
    3. Use this multiscript that reroutes incoming Program Change events based on last received CC #0 value:
    on init
       declare $last_cc0
    end on

on midi_in
       if ($MIDI_CHANNEL = 0)
           if ($MIDI_COMMAND = $MIDI_COMMAND_CC and $MIDI_BYTE_1 = 0)
               $last_cc0 := $MIDI_BYTE_2 mod 16 { we're supporting up to 16 instrument banks }
               message($last_cc0)
           end if

if ($MIDI_COMMAND = $MIDI_COMMAND_PROGRAM_CHANGE)
               set_event_par($EVENT_ID, $EVENT_PAR_MIDI_CHANNEL, $last_cc0)
           end if
       end if
    end on

If your buttons are sending Bank Select LSB instead of MSB (CC #32 instead of CC #0), just change $MIDI_BYTE_1 = 0 to $MIDI_BYTE_1 = 32.

• stephen24
    stephen24 Member Posts: 276 Pro

Neat. That'll certainly be less work.