Window format to set up the articulations of an instrument depends on library or operative system ?

TAOTECHING
TAOTECHING Member Posts: 12 Member
edited July 2022 in Kontakt

Hello: I wonder if any expert in Kontakt could answer me about if the midi controller window format to set up the articulations of an instrument (just like: sustain, legato, accent, pizz, etc.), within the Kontakt 5.0.2 version, can change depending on the type of library or on the version of operative system, (or even both), for instance if the library is the Sibelius Sounds Essentials and I open the midi controllers window on Mac OS X 10.7 and Sibelius 7.1.3 and within the Kontakt 5.0.2 version, it will get the following format, for the cellos:

but if I open the midi controllers window for the same Sibelius Sounds Essentials library on Mac OS X 10.13 and Sibelius Ultimate and within the Kontakt 5.0.2 version, it will get the following format, for the cellos too:

but as you can see, both formats are quite different. How is this possible ?

I do know that there are some incompatibilities such as the Kontakt 5.0.2 version which is not compatible neither with Sibelius Ultimate nor with Mac Os X 10.13. Thank you for your attention.

Tagged:

Answers

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert

what you are seeing is an editable instrument vs a non-editable instrument. I am a bit confused, but are the versions of Sibelius "exactly" the same as well as Kontakt (Player vs Full version). This has nothing to do with Operating system, the developer is the one who decides if the instrument is locked for editing or not...

• TAOTECHING

Hello: I have heard some times that technical word of "developer". Could you tell me please, in few words what does it mean ?

On the other hand, my main question is this: On what depends the format or structure or appearance of the window where the composer sets up the configuration of the articulations of an instrument just like: sustain, legato, accent, pizz, etc., specifically within the Kontakt 5.0.2 version, so that it can sound just like he needs. Thank you a lot.

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert

The developer is the person (or company) that created the library… in this case it would be Sibelius.

The articulation controls should be part of the main interface of the library. (Not in edit mode). I would suggest reading the Manual for the library (should be available on the Sibelius website) to familiarize yourself with the interface controls and what they actually do. I am not familiar with this library, so I can not offer any assistance on how to change articulations etc…

• TAOTECHING

I have a basic knowledge about the articulations controls both of the Sibelius Sounds Essentials and of the Kontakt 5.0.2 version, and one of the features of the second one is that it is possible to add as many rows of 4 articulations (sustain, legato, sustain#1, legato#1), as it is necessary, as you can see in this screenshot, of the bassoon:

I remember that I set up to 15 or 20 rows, getting in this way a very powerful and expressive sound of bassoon. And in the case of cellos I also remember that when I added 1 or 2 more articulations of "accent", I got quite a more powerful and expressive sound of the cellos:

Thank you very much.

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,022 mod
    edited July 2022

You're basically duplicating those groups which just plays the same samples multiple times, giving you a louder sound... You would get the same by simply increasing the instrument output volume (and it would use less CPU since you're not duplicating voice count...)