I'm not a resident of Russia nor Belarus, but still restricted from using site

Dima Parhelia
Dima Parhelia Member Posts: 5 Newcomer
edited July 2022 in Tech Talks

I've raised a question of not being able to reach the functionality here.

And was given the answer, that I am being excluded based on my nationality, despite the fact I am not a resident of the abovementioned countries and is trying to access the site from Portugal, to which I legally belong for last 3+ years and made some of my NI purchases from.

Are there any way to fix your policies regarding nationality based exclusion?

Thank you!

Comments

• Monochrome
    Monochrome Member Posts: 1,127 Expert
    edited July 2022

Well, first of all, NI has to follow sanctions that are imposed by governments. Otherwise, they could get into legal trouble. No company wants that.

Since you can access the forum, try contacting Kaiwan_NI via PM (go to her user profile page and click the "Message" button), explain the situation and maybe she can find a solution internally.

In your screenshot in that other thread, the Chrome UI showed russian text. Maybe that's where the confusion/error came from.

• Dima Parhelia
    edited July 2022

@Monochrome thanks for the advice. I don't think there are any sanctions imposed against all the individuals, just special particular ones.

And there are approximately 258 million russian speakers around the globe, with different nationalities, residences and, believe it or not, beliefs. Russian text should in no way indicate nothing about the actual person who uses it. But I'm sure everyone here understands that.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,788 Expert

There are restrictions against trade of certain items with Russia. And many companies have decided to terminate their services and sales to Russia. That is what NI probably did.

And, NI probably considers you as a resident of Russia. Even as resident of Russia you might use proxy server based abbroad so that it might look like you are not located in Russia. That is probably the reason, NI does not decide based on IP adress, but on user history...

Russia has caused many problems to Ukraine (war), Europe (milions of refugees, expensive gas, oil, food, fertilisers, ...) and the rest of the world (deficiency of wheat, sunflower seeds, ....). So, the countries try to stop what Putin does....

What you could do is what has suggested Monochrome. Reach for NI, explain your situation... And you will see.

I wish this madness ends soon, but being realistic, it may take years. And in the worst case it may turn into global nuclear conflict...

• Dima Parhelia

@Kubrak thanks for the comment. Let's hope we avoid The Worst.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,788 Expert

I hope, you will be able to sort things with NI out, soon.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,624 mod

@Dima Parhelia Your NI account data still has your russian address, I'm not sure if it's the full reason, the best to find out is to contact our account support agents here: https://bit.ly/NISupport_OP to get a more definitive answer.

• Dima Parhelia

@Jeremeesullivan thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try!

This discussion has been closed.