Trying to figure out FX

WesleyD
WesleyD Member Posts: 17 Member

Hi,

So I'm getting lost with FX. The one touch FX or whatever are fairly straightforward. I have an on off switch, a knob, and I can select 1-4. But in mixer mode I see an FX module at the top with more choices for FX. When I turn them on/off or adjust parameters my S3 doesn't register anything. Am I supposed to be DJ'ing with my mouse? How do I turn these more powerful FX modules on/off??? Is this entirely separate from the 4 one touch FX? The manual isn't clear. it just says "yay you've got 40 powerful effects, you can group them, snapshot, etc. wow" but in no way does it explain how I'm supposed to actually use them in a performance.

Apologies if I seem entirely stupid. Used to be a vinyl/CDJ guy, then after I sold all my gear I was playing with a Z1 and an iPad, and those FX were super powerful, I could easily have multiple FX on both decks while controlling multiple parameters on the X/Y pad, locking them into place, etc. So now I've "upgraded" and I'm using the Pro software on a laptop and the FX seem super crippled compared to their abandoned iPad software. Surely there must be a way to utilize the 40 FX and control them directly with the S3. Or do I need an additional MIDI controller? can the iPad do it? any help is much appreciated.

Tagged:

Comments

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,216 Expert

Is this entirely separate from the 4 one touch FX?

Yes, they are entirely separated.

How do I turn these more powerful FX modules on/off???

Don't ask me why, but NI decided S2 and S3 don't need FX control by default. One of the reasons why I choose the S4. I really want to know why they did it.

I know there are 3rd party mappings for the S3 that add it again.

Or do I need an additional MIDI controller?

Another midi controller would also work. In traktor you can map almost anything to MIDI or keyboard signals.

I think there is software for iPad that sends MIDI commands. With that you could map an iPad 🤷‍♀️

• WesleyD

thanks so much for the quick reply. NI seems utterly mixed up, right arm doesnt' know what the left is doing.

Thanks for the FX I can't use..., maybe my Z1 can become an FX controller? just stupid. Let me assign the more powerful FX to the one touch modules. and let me control more than just one single parameter at a time. It's crazy that their abandonware is actually more powerful in some ways than their "flagship" software.

I'm on the fence about selling this thing and getting a Pioneer controller so I can just have everything on a Rekordbox USB and be good to go.

• lord-carlos

maybe my Z1 can become an FX controller?

If it sends midi you can map it. So yes, the Z1 should be mappable to whatever you want.

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,660 mod

I would either get an X1 to control FX UNITs 1+2 or a XoneK1/2 to control all 4 FX UNITs. There are dozens of good mappings available for the K1/K2 at DJTechTools. 100-200 $/€. Unless you want to sell your gear i would go with that.

• WesleyD

honestly i'm super angry about this. the controller is not professional at all. I just pulled out the Z1 and the EQ knobs feel so much better than the S3. it's like a toy. I think I'm gonna try and find a box to return it. How is a flagship controller not gonna let you control FX and also have dinky knobs that aren't as good as the cheapest controller they sell.... shameful

• lord-carlos

Well it's not a flagship controller.

But I still agree it should let you control more by default.

• Sûlherokhh

I knew from the start that S2/S3 without dedicated FX Unit control would not be my thing. So i didn't buy it. Perhaps you should have taken a look at the product page before your purchase. Reselling it sounds like a good option. You could buy a sturdy S5 for about the same price.

• WesleyD

are the knobs any better on the S4?

• Sûlherokhh
    edited June 2022

I can only say that I love how they feel on the S4MK3, but i can't compare them to S2/S3. I would assume they used the same ones though, at least they look the same on pictures (apart from the white ring). IF they actually are the same and you don't like them, i would seriously consider the S5. It uses the same knobs as the Z1/X1/S8/D2, everything is super sturdy, controls are spaced well but it's still compact, awesome screens etc.

Besides, the S4 has it's own slight issues and you may well regret buying it. I love the design and feel but i only ever used mine once at a gig.

Edit: After reading again all your posts i am a bit confused. What is it exactly what you want and how much are you willing to pay for it?

• lord-carlos

S4 has 8 knobs and 8 buttons dedicated to FX. In addition the the "color FX" or whatever it's called that you also have on the S3/S2.

If you talk about the feel of the buttons I can not say how they compare.

• WesleyD

I've ordered a Pioneer FLX6. The S3 will be going back to the warehouse.

• lord-carlos

Oh god no :S I mean I can understand your decision to switch to rekordbox. But why the FLX6?

It's cheap build like the DDJ-400, has no inputs, limited outputs at all and cost relative much compared to DDJ-400.

DDJ-400 for bang for the buck, DDJ-800/1000 for flagship controller, or DDJ-RZ for older gen used controller.

Rekordbox is nice though. The MyTag feature is just 👌 It's easy to stream to twitch, you have tidal integration and the collection browser does not flicker.

• WesleyD

thanks for the input. I'm in Spain atm and can't get my hands on the nicer DDJ units. I may be moving to another country in the next couple months. May not keep this. But the more I've looked into the FLX you may be right!

• Sacco Naz
    Sacco Naz Member Posts: 125 Advisor
    edited July 2022

I would steer away from out of the box controllers... for one thing... it's a "One Size" fits all approach....and leads to "Lazy" 2 DECK DJing... let's join the future and create layers of sound....

Plus the sound cards are not optimal...

Also, you can only control 2 decks at a time...

Traktor is a powerful and modular DJ suite.... it's designed to allow you to custom shape your workflow...

I like to have control of all four decks at the same time without a switch button and access to the remix decks at the same time... I use two Allen Heath K2's and one NI F1

I suggest learning how to map your own set up using Allen Heath K2's

It took me a while but it's way more effective... I can control all the effects and all the decks at he same time and the combinations are numerous...

• Stevan
    Stevan Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,621 mod

"Don't ask me why, but NI decided S2 and S3 don't need FX control by default. One of the reasons why I choose the S4. I really want to know why they did it."

lord-carlos That's because S2 MK3 is cheaper than MK2 when it was new. Also they want to sell more S4's.