Reaktor 5 randomiser trouble - any help?

Enrico
Enrico Member Posts: 14 Member
edited June 2022 in Reaktor

Hi! I hope someone here can help me to understand how a randomiser works. Please forgive my ignorance about building theory.

let's say i want to randomise the pitch of an oscillator, and i want to randomise it above and below the pitch note value.. I create a control knob for the range and a button to send a value that will be randomised. My problem is that i don't understand which value i should give to the range. If i put the range at -30 +30 and the trigger at 0 1 it acts as i want, but when the range is 0 and i press the trigger, the output value becomes 1. Moreover when i add other modules in the structure that has some switch, when i press the switch the randomiser generates a random value even if the range is 0. All this is driving me crazy 🤕

I upload you here an example

I work on Reaktor 5

Best Answer

• colB
    colB Member Posts: 799 Guru
    edited June 2022 Answer ✓

hmm, I've not used the Randomiser module, but I read the tool tips on the ports and the main info, and I don't think it works the way you are expecting. Particularly the Rng input tool tip suggests a range between 0 and 0.5.

I think the war this works is to fire values into the input and have them come out with their values deviated randomly by some value between 0 and Rng so with range set to 2, an input of 10 would give a random output between 8 and 12

I suspect that what you are thinking is that this is just a random number generator, so you are adding the output of randomiser to the original value. I think the module does all that internally for you.

The best thing to do here would be to set up a test ensemble with buttons, knobs and numeric outputs. Then you can run some tests and work out exactly what happens as you vary the rng with different input values .

Like this:

In general, this is a very useful approach, just build mini ensembles to test things that you're not sure about!

Answers

• colB
    edited June 2022 Answer ✓

hmm, I've not used the Randomiser module, but I read the tool tips on the ports and the main info, and I don't think it works the way you are expecting. Particularly the Rng input tool tip suggests a range between 0 and 0.5.

I think the war this works is to fire values into the input and have them come out with their values deviated randomly by some value between 0 and Rng so with range set to 2, an input of 10 would give a random output between 8 and 12

I suspect that what you are thinking is that this is just a random number generator, so you are adding the output of randomiser to the original value. I think the module does all that internally for you.

The best thing to do here would be to set up a test ensemble with buttons, knobs and numeric outputs. Then you can run some tests and work out exactly what happens as you vary the rng with different input values .

Like this:

In general, this is a very useful approach, just build mini ensembles to test things that you're not sure about!

• Enrico
    Enrico Member Posts: 14 Member

Thanks ColB i realize just now how simple it is 😓 i just ask you where are this "tool tips" you mentioned.. in the Primary Manual?

• colB

i just ask you where are this "tool tips" you mentioned.. in the Primary Manual?

Make sure the info 'i' is on on the main toolbar:

Now just hover the mouse pointer over the module, for main tool tip to appear, and hover over individual input/output ports to see specific tip about those ports

can't see the mouse pointer here, but I hovered over the Rng input and waited