EQ Ducking Effect

Stevan
Stevan Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,621 mod
edited February 27 in Mapping Traktor

I'm exploring the new way of mixing and finding it pretty cool. So this mapping automatically kills the specific EQ bend to remove only a kick or main hi-hat.

Still work in progress but looking for your feedback and ideas to further improve this concept.

Comments

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,660 mod

I guess this could be expanded to FXUnit button toggles or even parameter jumps between two specific values, maybe even set on the fly. But i am sure you already know that. Just telling because i would be immediately playing with it. 🦋

• Nico_NI
    Nico_NI Administrator Posts: 1,124 admin

That's interesting, it acts sort of like a sidechain compression. Definitely some creative use to make out of it.

• Stevan

Oh yeah, I've been experimenting with effects as well for a while now! Thought I should find a different use - other than effects control.

• Stevan

Thank you! Youtube removed that vid but in the past I have created the sidechain compression using channel faders.

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,660 mod

This sure looks like your step-sequencer devolopment experience came in quite handy. Love it.

• wayfinder
    wayfinder Member Posts: 341 Guru
    edited May 2022

I've also been experimenting with using the beat phase via loopback midi for ducking. I am still working on it. What I'm currently fighting with is:

the settings for the beat phase -> EQ adjust.

I'm getting a curve that drops smoothly from 100% to 0% right before the beat, but i would rather have it rise smoothly from 0% to 100% after the beat, and I haven't been able to do that. If you know any tricks, I'm all ears!

what I have:

what I would like:

• Stevan
    edited May 2022

You can use the Beat Phase out to automate other knobs and faders that you don't use.

Than use that other output command to send info to a Modifier - basically make it toggle 0 and 1.

Then assign those modifier conditions to a Low EQ Adjust and also map it to the Beat Phase CC message.

• zephry
    zephry Member Posts: 566 Pro

For a slight ducking effect. Not the best. You can use the LFO filter. (I think it is the Lfo92 version)

Anyway you can click the reverse mode (middle button in Single Mode and then adjust the rate.

It isn't the best sidechain by any means but I recently discovered it.

I am going to check out this loopback stuff. Thanks for the informative post!

• wayfinder
    wayfinder Member Posts: 341 Guru

Yeah that's what I had done, but since in the beat phase the lowest point and the highest point both map to the offbeat, and the onbeat is in the middle, which is not what you want for the knob movement, it's tough to get a good sidechain curve that isn't just "off for the first half of the beat and on for the second half". But now I did some trickery with mapping beat phase to a modifier as a relative encoder, and that allowed me to only target the first quarter of the beat, and now I have a more natural sounding, less "pumping" ducking that lets me just switch out the kick.

• Stevan

I like the pumping effect actually :) kinda groovie. And also lets me adjust the EQ how ever I want.

• Stevan

Cool stuff but it uses an actual effect. Which I don't want to do - I need more FX Units - 4 Units is nothing if you are into effect mappings.

• MarKsie
    MarKsie Member Posts: 4 Member
    edited May 2022

Ive done something similar on my F1 and mapped high/mid/low kill for A and B with pitch bend up and down to nudge the mix slightly in and out of phase. I’ve mapped unload deck A through D across the bottom 4 buttons

is there a way to attenuate by by a percentage and map to a button to act as a mic talk over, my mic levels are ****** through C&D and the live input gets lost in mix during my stream show. No issues with signal in but audible output is the issue. I’ve routed through the Aux for this week to see if that isolates the mic better. 🤷‍♂️Open to suggestions!

• zephry
    zephry Member Posts: 566 Pro
    edited May 2022

Yep I was just throwing it out for a tip.

Btw. I learned most of my mapping skills from reworking your maps for my own. You are a Djtt. Legend!

• Stevan

Always happy to hear that my posts and mappings are appreciated. Thank you zephry!