Plz advise me on what specs I need

SvenNL
SvenNL Member Posts: 12 Member
edited 9:22AM in Tech Talks

First off, I’m a total nitwit regarding computer spec but…

I’ve started recording my music years ago, on a 2016 MacBook Pro i7 quad core 16 gb. I still use it, I love the Mac environment and I’m planning on sticking with it.

Thing is I started just recording in logic which was great. However during the years I’ve been starting to use more vst’s and plugins to the point where I’m producing more then recording, and I’ve purchased Komplete 13 a while back.

Now I love it, but I think my MacBook isn’t up for the task anymore. Loading times, crashes, plus logic updates aren’t supported anymore. So I’ve decided to upgrade my MacBook. Problem is I’m not sure what the minimum specs are that I will be needing to make for a smooth experience.

I’d love to get a new 2024 M3 32GB 1T etc etc but I don’t have 4K to spare. I’m looking at 2 to 2,5k as a budget.

I was hoping you people could advise me on what my best bet is in that budget. MacBook Air? Or stick with pro? How many gbs of RAM? M1/2/3? Etc etc

Thanks in advance!

Answers

• Maciej Repetowski
    Maciej Repetowski Member Posts: 665 Guru
    edited May 24

M1/M2/M3 is not that important. There are improvements to single threading speed and multi threading speed but nothing critical. Ram is the most important because you cannot update it later with M series Macs. Minimum 16GB, I would suggest 32GB or even 64GB. SSD minimum 512GB, more storage can be added as external SSD drive later. 512GB is enough for system and apps/plugins. 256GB will be cutting it short.

MacBook Air is passively cooled = no noise at all. MacBook Pro is barely audible even under heavy loads.

Feel free to ask any more questions, I'm a Mac guy 😉

• SvenNL
    SvenNL Member Posts: 12 Member

thanks for the explanation!

Right now I’m thinking of a MacBook Air, M2, 24gb, 512ssd. That will set me back 2k which is within my budget.

I think I’ll be fine with that setup for a few years, but I expect to be disovered and have a worldwide breakthrough by then so money will not be an issue anymore 😬

• Maciej Repetowski
    Maciej Repetowski Member Posts: 665 Guru

Within your budget, I think this is good choice. Just add external SSD for samples and content and you should be set for a few good years.

This discussion has been closed.