M+ computer internals + info

1235»

Comments

• reffahcs
    reffahcs Member Posts: 848 Guru

Yes, that was the case, but it turns out both boards are booting now. I swapped monitors and was actually able to install Ubuntu on the SBC that came with the carrier board.

Judging by the BIOS debug display the M+ SBC is booting as well but still can't get a display.

Currently I have two guesses for why I can't get a screen on the M+ SBC. One, it's a rev 2.0 of the QSEVEN standard and the carrier board is rev 1.0. It appears there are slight differences in the pinouts. Two, the M+ SBC is configured for custom displays and may not have the ability to display a screen on a standard monitor.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 3,217 mod
    edited February 28

@reffahcs have you seen what people have been doing with the AKAI Force? Apparently running modified firmware is a thing on that side, pretty crazy stuff like screen recording, remote file management, remote control, sw tweaks, etc... All that at very early stages too, so crazy possibilities I guess.

It's a pretty long watch but I am mentioning this in case there's something in that MockbaMod project that might give you a hint on how the M+ handles things; maybe remote SSH with an easy password is a possibility? Or the .sh scripts he uses to boot/install the modifications could translate to the M+ or hint something? His project is on GitHub but I am not sure if he documented how he got there.

The fact this is even possible kind of makes me want to get a Force just to mess around with 🤣

• reffahcs

Awesome! I have not, thanks for sharing. I've heard about some modified firmware stuff for the MPC, but they're keeping things pretty tame for obvious reasons. I'll definitely add this video to my watch list tonight.

• 6xes
    6xes Member Posts: 703 Pro
    edited March 1

theres a aspect in the video @41:35 ... in which he speaks of emmc eventually getting corrupted

this is likely the issue for people having bootloops... but as you cannot get into the OS when things are caught in a loop, it makes it necessary to redo a firmware flash or something in that line to re-organise all the links in the EMMC... im guessing of course!

would be such a pita when that occurs...

understanding how the EMMC works, sorta make you realise shutting down a maschine+ correctly is probably all important

• D-One
    edited March 1

No, I dont think so. From what I see in his emmc repair script on github it just does some checks, unmounts the partition, runs FSCK to check and repair the relevant partition; the M+ runs FSCK on boot to make sure things are peachy, not sure if it does it for all partitions including SD tho...

Shutting down abruptly is only a problem during writing, EMMC is not that different from SSD's or other storage types, if you force shutdown/crash while it is writing data you risk corruption, which is the same reason Win/Mac tells us to eject before unplugging externals or flash drives.

TL;DR: Yes, shut down properly, I do remove my SD often without ejecting, never had issues but then again I don't so it when its writing data, if its just reading it's fine.

• reffahcs

It really depends on the filesystem used and how it's implemented. A lot of IoT/embedded devices use more robust filesystems like squashfs or UBIFS. Some devices will still use ext4, but may use it in a read-only capacity or as an overlay filesystem. In the case of an overlay filesystem, typically the majority of the filesystem will be read only and then any directories that need to be written to will be mounted on top of the root filesystem via the overlay-filesystem. This minimizes the chance of corruption and/or data-loss from a power loss.

Squashfs was designed from the ground up to be read only so it's good for devices that need fast shutdown times, or may lose power unexpectedly. UBIFS is the newest embedded filesystem out there and can be written to or used as read-only. JFFS2 (just another flash filesystem 2) is another one out there as well, but it doesn't seem to be as popular these days.

• D-One

Interesting... I had no ideia tbh. I checked and both the M+ and Force seem to be rootfstype=ext4

• reffahcs

I should have mentioned that those other filesystems also take care of doing the wear leveling and bad block detection/marking etc... that is normally done by the controller chip on an SSD, so that's a huge factor as well in determining what filesystem to use. eMMC is a special kind of beast (compared to say a raw NAND/NOR flash chip) in that it actually has a controller built into it. It's basically like an SD card, but faster and larger. In fact that's what eMMC stands for, embedded multimedia card. So for eMMC you can run a regular filesystem like ext4, no problem, but still good practice to make it read only.

• benjamin
    benjamin Member Posts: 8 Member

My potentiometer on the 'plus' seems to be broken, and the official repair cost is quite expensive. I'd like to ask whether the potentiometer on the 'plus' model is the same as the one on the 'm32'. Specifically, can I remove the potentiometer from the m32 and replace it onto the plus? Another question is regarding customization for the 'plus'; I'm considering adding an internal power supply and an accessory to slightly raise the housing so that a battery can be installed inside. I haven't come across any similar posts, so I'm unsure if this is feasible.

note:This piece of text was translated by a translation software.

• D-One
    edited March 12

The endless potentiometer should have the same specs but with a shorter shaft (that shouldn't be a problem). All Maschine devices use potentiometers with the same specs (as far as I know).

I wouldn't go destroying an M32 for a part you can buy for 5$, just order an RV112FF-40B1-15F-0B20K-0068, since you live in China you can probably source it locally even cheaper. That model worked fine for me in an MK3 so it should work well on an M+ too. If you want one with the exact same shaft size then you have to read the documentation and find out it's part model number which shouldn't be too hard.

• Andy Wt
    Andy Wt Member Posts: 102 Advisor

@reffahcs Did you achieve more progress in deep dive into M+ internals or did you burn down your apartment in the process? 😃