Latest updates in Native Access indicate I have to download the entire content

Options
gpax
gpax Member Posts: 4 Newcomer

A spate of updates including five NI product and Kontakt, seem to indicate I have have to download the entire content for each of these respective products, even as they have been installed for some time. In total, over 115 Gb of content for Analog Dreams, Fables, Sequin, Session Bassist - Prime Bass and Valves Pro, combined.

This can't be right, can it? Those products and their content are already installed on external drives, which NA recognizes correctly as the respective paths. Does anyone know why I am I having to write so much content from scratch for these "updates?" Routine updates I am used to, which typically have a nominal footprint.

Comments

• Monochrome
    Monochrome Member Posts: 1,150 Expert
    edited February 21
    Options

It is - unfortunately - normal. Updates are essentially the entire product installer getting downloaded again. Native Access doesn't work like other clients, where the client checks the local installation, sees which files are different and only downloads new/changed files from the server.

Afaik, the devs of Native Access (@Hayo_NI et al) are working to improve this. No ETA so far, though.

• gpax
    gpax Member Posts: 4 Newcomer
    Options

Thanks for the response. I probably haven't paid that much attention to this over the years, with updates for some products being sporadic.

• DodMod
    DodMod Member Posts: 61 Helper
    Options

When you update a product Native Access reports the total size of the library, however when you carry out the update it only downloads those files that need to be updated. The end result is that you shouldn't have to be downloading 115GB of content. I certainly didn't download that amount of data when I carried out the update.

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 3,215 mod
    edited February 22
    Options

As far as I know then it is in the works to do what Hayo_NI called "Slim Content Tech" it has just not arrived yet and Hayo_NI and the rest of the team has got quite a lot on his/their plate as it is !

Quote Hayo_NI on October 2023 :

installers are going away in most cases and switching to slim content tech that removes the need for installers. This will also allow you to update products by updating only the files affected. Ergo, we're not investing much more time on enhancing the experience with our existing installers right now, unfortunately.

• mykejb
    mykejb Moderator Posts: 1,265 mod
    Options

I noticed the recent updates were very fast considering the size. I'm on a Gb fibre connection, but they still seemed faster than they should. The release notes for Ethereal Earth and Analog Dreams both say they're using a new installer format so I'm guessing that's rolling out now.

• Hayo_NI
    Hayo_NI Product Team Posts: 281 mod
    Options

We're rolling slim content out for expansions. This could display an incorrect need to reinstall the entire product, though we're looking into what else might be causing this visual glitch.

• reffahcs
    reffahcs Member Posts: 848 Guru
    Options

I was wondering if that was the case. I noticed one update jump from 0 to 4GB complete in a matter of seconds.

• Monochrome
    Monochrome Member Posts: 1,150 Expert
    edited February 28
    Options

Yeah... When I updated Analog Dreams (which now needs Kontakt 7.7.0, something that's not mentioned in its release notes - please add it), it jumped from 0GB to (IIRC) ~4.2GB immediately and downloaded the rest fairly quick.

It's a nice, welcomed change @Hayo_NI 🙂

• hannesmenzel
    hannesmenzel Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Thanks for your help. I was holding back my 36 gigabyte Session Strings Pro update for "recalling snapshots correctly" but because of your notices I just courageously clicked on it and it downloaded the update in a few seconds.

• Psyearth5
    Psyearth5 Member Posts: 184 Helper
    Options

People😃 Access is Working on Windows 10 without any workorounds it's just working and update to latest version. For existing confusion with versions of instruments and Kontakt libraries I can just recommend same that I recommend to everyone who started or didn't use fully Maschine to read Manuals and one example, if I See Analogue Dreams Update I am aware that it's Kontakt 7/Je Player latest version and if I have Kontakt 6 full version and it working then I would not do anything outside of existing environment that is working. I have to say again how happy I am to see Access is Working on Windows 10

• Hayo_NI
    Hayo_NI Product Team Posts: 281 mod
    Options

Apologies for that! But yeah our updates should become quicker over time. We've identified a bug here we'll address in a future release, but it's just a UI one. The update should be swifter already. Apologies for the misguidance!